Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Overrated film?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

jackie brown isn't underrated. it's considered a bad film because it IS a bad film. i tried watching it but just got fed up and stuck on Aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I nominate The Usual Suspects, good film but i don't see the big deal. My dislike of Kevin Spacey doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Anchorman

And one I saw more recently, Pineapple Express. I even thought James Franco's performance was overated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

paulieeye wrote: »
    Lost in Translation

yes
    paulieeye wrote: »
    ...cept johansen in her skimpies...she pretty

yeeeees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

overrated - dictionary result
    o-ver-rate 

–verb (used with object), -rat-ed, -rat-ing. to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate:

see mawkish, oversentimental perennial Empire magazine chart topping rubbish The Shawshank Redemption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Cant believe I forgot 300. The Police Academy films had a deeper script and more intelligent storyline than that monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

shane86 wrote: »
    Cant believe I forgot 300. The Police Academy films had a deeper script and more intelligent storyline than that monstrosity.

300 wasnt trying to be intelligent or deep. It was trying to be exactly what it was (action flick). So if you went expecting deep and intelligent i feel you lack in both:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭gnolan

Donnie Darko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Deep, intelligent or not, I still agree that 300 was overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

Yeah Donnie Darko requires at least 2 watches, and everyone that owns a copy seems to only have it cos they kept it that time they gave it out in the Sunday Independent!! I liked Jake Gyllenhal's performance though.

Also Jackie Brown is good, it's well scripted and shot, and has a fantastic soundtrack.

Yep 300 was violent, if stunning, trash. "Tonight, we dine in HELL!!"
    Saying that I'm really looking forward to sin city 2 :D

• Advertisement

Two films that got best picture in the Oscars.

No Country For Old Men - I liked it but I think it is totally overrated. The ending was a load of pants.

As Good As It Gets - Likeable film but totally overrated. Cannot see how it won best picture.

I don't know how anyone can question the Usual Suspects. One of the best movie endings of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

300 wasnt trying to be intelligent or deep. It was trying to be exactly what it was (action flick). So if you went expecting deep and intelligent i feel you lack in both:p

Actually I thought it was trying to be an historical epic like Gladiator, but failing miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

jackie brown isn't underrated. it's considered a bad film because it IS a bad film. i tried watching it but just got fed up and stuck on Aliens.
    So you haven't seen it, right? Not that I love the film or anything, but declaring a film overrated that you haven't seen is ludicrous.

As Good As It Gets - Likeable film but totally overrated. Cannot see how it won best picture.

Neither can I, as it didn't! It went to one of thoose stupid artsy Indy movies that year that is totally over-rated:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/

Wacker wrote: »
    So you haven't seen it, right? Not that I love the film or anything, but declaring a film overrated that you haven't seen is ludicrous.
    oh, won't worry buddy, i was easily an hour and a half into it when i took the DVD out.

oh, won't worry buddy, i was easily an hour and a half into it when i took the DVD out.
    That's sixty percent through. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but only because you called me buddy! :D

Wacker wrote: »
    That's sixty percent through. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but only because you called me buddy! :D
    much abliged:D

never trust someone who winks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Intermission was overrated (in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Definitely shawshank redemption!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Chicago - for gods sake it won a best film oscar and was up against the likes of the piano

• Advertisement

Definitely shawshank redemption!

O dear me....

slightly OT, It's intiresting that a lot of films that are regarded as masterpieces now (overrated or not) did fairley miserable in cinemas, Blade Runner, The Thing, The Shawshank Redemption, Citizen Kane.:confused:

Shawshank was not brought out in the cinema's from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

ragin bull and apocalypse now

BRUTAL

BRUTAL

Why? Because they don't feature the great Jack Black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

BRUTAL

You troll, sir!

sorry i know they are "classics" but not IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

IMO the moon is made of cheese*, and a banana is red*.

See what I did there? Care to explain yourself.

* not really

They're no Orange County, i'll give you that.

• Advertisement

your entitled to think what you want i found the films booooooooooooooooooooooooring. Get over it man!!!!

Advertisement