Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*** in the overtaking lane!!

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got this photo last Fri evening at around 930 or so, its shows three vehicles that insisted on staying in the overtaking lane of the M1 all the way from the Swords exit to the Balbriggan exit. There was hardly any traffic at the time, typical crap driving.

SP_A0182.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dont let it get you wound up too much man.
    Theres feck all you could have done about it.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Passenger took it!! ;) Well I was going just below the speed limit believe it or not and I had to stay behind those 3 muppets for nearly twenty miles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MSporty wrote: »
    Passenger took it!! ;)

didn't know yours was RHD..;)

I'd have gone up the inside after that length of time.

/puts on flame proof clothes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I dont get it? why would it annoy you? if your going the speed limit what difference would it make.

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I dont get it? why would it annoy you? if your going the speed limit what difference would it make.

Its an overtaking lane, where as they are using it as a cruising lane at 110 km/h. I physically couldnt get by them safely. Its a common complaint on most motoring forums. Your comment sums up the attitude some people have to the overtaking lane, was that you in the silver jeep?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Its an overtaking lane, where as they are using it as a cruising lane at 110 km/h. I physically couldnt get by them safely. Its a common complaint on most motoring forums. Your comment sums up the attitude some people have to the overtaking lane, was that you in the silver jeep?

Jesus is it your period or something. chill man.

This forum would be a nicer place without some of the bitchy attitude of members..

I asked a question, that was it. and that doesnt show my attitude at all.
    I assumed that they would be over taking the car ahead of you and your self. Why pull back into the lane your in if they would be going back into the over taking lane 10 seconds later.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Jesus is it your period or something. chill man.

This forum would be a nicer place without some of the bitchy attitude of members..

I asked a question, that was it. and that doesnt show my attitude at all.
    I assumed that they would be over taking the car ahead of you and your self. Why pull back into the lane your in if they would be going back into the over taking lane 10 seconds later.

No, they stayed there for 20 miles totally taking control of the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

if the silver jeep was doing 120km/h in the outer lane there would be nothing wrond as obvisiouly thats the max speed on the road but maybe if he is doing 110 he should move over unless there was no room:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Christ on a stick, what is it with people whinging about the NON EXISTANT overtaking lane these days? They were making progress at the upper speed limit in a TRAFFIC LANE.

What's the problem?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Got this photo last Fri evening at around 930 or so, its shows three vehicles that insisted on staying in the overtaking lane of the M1 all the way from the Swords exit to the Balbriggan exit. There was hardly any traffic at the time, typical crap driving.

SP_A0182.jpg

whats the problem if as you said hardly any traffic????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dubman25 wrote: »
    if the silver jeep was doing 120km/h in the outer lane there would be nothing wrond as obvisiouly thats the max speed on the road

Incorrect on all counts.

120 is the posted speed limit not the maximum speed.

It is not any other civilian driver's right to determine that they are going fast enough to remain in the overtaking lane.

It's illegal to "drive" in said lane.

If MSporty (or I) wants to do 160 it is not your place nor mine to stop him. It is that of a Garda should (s)he wish or consider it appropriate to do so

ninty9er wrote: »
    Incorrect on all counts.

120 is the posted speed limit not the maximum speed.

It is not any other civilian driver's right to determine that they are going fast enough to remain in the overtaking lane.

It's illegal to "drive" in said lane.

If MSporty (or I) wants to do 160 it is not your place nor mine to stop him. It is that of a Garda should (s)he wish or consider it appropriate to do so

wrong,120km/h is the legal maximum speed limit on any irish road!
    and it is not illegal to stay at 120km/h in the outer lane for watever amount of time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ninty9er wrote: »

I only wish the Guards would stop more of these right lane blockers and make an example of them.

and it is not illegal to stay at 120km/h in the outer lane for watever amount of time!

Did you EVER sit in a car under professional instruction?

Honestly:rolleyes: the mind boggles!!

im a professional driver myself well as my licence shows:rolleyes:

FAIL.

Thats rubbish. If you'd care to search, I have previously posted all of the relevant leglislation which says the exact opposite of what you just posted.

On what basis are you claiming that the right lane is to be used for anything other then overtaking.

[sarcasm]
    I wasn't aware there was a driving licence that qualified you to be an instructor:confused::confused:

Must do that test.
    [/sarcasm]

I take it the answer to the original question is NO then.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I can forgive someone for thinking that there doing no wrong even though it annoys the hell out of me but when someone points out the problem and people then try to argue that the said lane is another traffic lane and its ok to sit there....well ya the mind boggling to say the least.

On another note I dont think we should have speed limits on our motorways. Limits would be fine in some cases such as parts of the M50 at the moment. As for the rest advisory limits would be better, changeable ones as per the weather, other road conditions etc. The Gardai could then just crack down on dangerous driving as apposed to the speed cam on a stretch of the N4/M4 idea. I know I'm just saying whats probably been said by others.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright Fella's this has been said sooooo many times before, i thought these threads were banned?
    dubman25, that's an awful attitude to have towards motorway driving. I'm by no means advocating speeding, but claiming it's your right to "hog" the overtaking lane just because you are travelling at 120km/h is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

dubman25, that's an awful attitude to have towards motorway driving. I'm by no means advocating speeding, but claiming it's your right to "hog" the overtaking lane just because you are travelling at 120km/h is just ridiculous.

+1

caesar wrote: »
    On another note I dont think we should have speed limits on our motorways. Limits would be fine in some cases such as parts of the M50 at the moment. As for the rest advisory limits would be better, changeable ones as per the weather, other road conditions etc. The Gardai could then just crack down on dangerous driving as apposed to the speed cam

It's not very palatable, but I'll be trying to get an Ard-Fheis motion in a similar vein on the Clár for October. May see some action by 2020 if it's passed by the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

If you are not overtaking then don't be in the overtaking lane. Nothing more annoying than this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

BORING!!!!

FX Meister wrote: »
    BORING!!!!

So boring you had to reply with that?

SFUT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I wouldn't worry about it. Any idiot can pass a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Mods, please lock threads pertaining to overtaking/outside lanes. It's getting as boring as all the foglight threads we used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

And you can guarantee that your speedo is accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm actually amazed at the amount of posters who still don't know about the keep left rule.

I think that's sad and tragic actually.

As a mark of respect, this thread will be closed :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement