Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 1: Chorizo and Chickpea Stew

• 08-01-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭

This is a simple yet delicious recipe that if done correctly, can be ready in little over 30 mins and serves 3-4 people. Also, in my books, it's pretty healthy so is more than suitable for those with new years resolutions. It also microwaves and freezes well.

Ingredients:

1 ring chorizo (cooked is better but uncooked is fine)
    1 medium onion
    3-4 sticks celery
    2-5 cloves garlic
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp chilli powder (optional)
    3/4 cup white wine
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin chickpeas

Steps:

1) Heat a non stick frying pan at medium-high heat and add the chorizo chopped into discs. No need for oil.
    2) Once the chorizo has begun to sweat, add the chopped onion and cook for 3 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped celery and cook for about 5 mins.
    3) Add the chopped garlic and spices and quickly stir. After 30 seconds, add the wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates (about 2 mins).
    4) Add the tomato, stir and bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Leave for about 15 minutes or until the tomato has reduced.
    5) Rinse the chickpeas under a cold tap, drain and add to the mixture. Stir, remove from the heat and serve.

Et, voila

334158.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks great. Perfect hearty warmer for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

My friend makes this for me when i'm feeling under the weather. Now i can repay the favour. Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yum!! Any chickpea evangelists want to drop round mine and convince the resident legumophobe that they're actually delicious and not 'little round balls of evil' so that I can make this soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yum!! Any chickpea evangelists want to drop round mine and convince the resident legumophobe that they're actually delicious and not 'little round balls of evil' so that I can make this soon?

I've got one of those here too so I'm going to make this just for myself and freeze half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ditto! Will make it next week some night he's not here and stock freezer with the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Had this tonight, very tasty. I can see why the chilli powder is optional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Had it this evening. Absolutely lovely! Thanks

Just made this for lunch - yum! Plan was to freeze the rest but the pan is calling me. Only change I'll make next time is to add a teaspoon of sugar to take ede off tomatoes but I will certainly be making this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Looks great. Ingredients are easily obtainable too.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This is a regular in our house! Love it :) Chicken and prawns make great additions to it, if the legumophones need further encouragement. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thank you, very tasty! Lovely with some crusty bread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to give this a shot today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This worked out great, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Anyone tried with with standard, domestic (but decent quality!) sausage? An easy tweak, or a disastrous beginner's error?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I have seen a near identical recipe with cubed rashers instead of chorizo

Bateman wrote: »
    I have seen a near identical recipe with cubed rashers instead of chorizo

I'm liking that on two grounds. First, it's a bigger change than the "ordinary sausages" substitution, and thus emboldens me! And secondly... droooool, sounds lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Ingredients:

1 ring chorizo (cooked is better but uncooked is fine)
    1 medium onion
    3-4 sticks celery
    2-5 cloves garlic
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp chilli powder (optional)
    3/4 cup white wine
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin chickpeas

[/QUOTE]

How big is the Chorizo ring. Or what weight??

jimfinoc wrote: »

There seems to be strong chorizo ring weight standardisation at 225g. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Tried this today, opted to omit the chilli powder and found it plenty flavored without it, had soaked dried chickpeas but forgot to cook them beforehand so I just left them out. Found it great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Anyone tried with with standard, domestic (but decent quality!) sausage? An easy tweak, or a disastrous beginner's error?
    I've never tried it myself, but considering that the entire flavour of the dish is based on the chorizo juices, doing so would make it taste drastically different, I would imagine.
    jimfinoc wrote: »

Not sure, but alaimacerc said 225g. The exact amount isn't really that impotant, so you could add more or less of it depending on which type you use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

Made this tonight - although I added a little cubed spud - herself needed the spud or a major carb or it isn't a dinner - and sweet pepper (added some water and simmered for a while longer to cook the spud). It was delicious and is going in the rotation, and I might even phase out the potato.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made this tonight with added carrot and chicken and it was delicious! A great warmer for snowy weather.

Made this again for lunches for three days.... I love it!

Has anyone frozen it? It's very economical, I'd scale up and make more if I could freeze successfully

I've just frozen the leftovers from tonight. I'd say it freezes really well, as most stews and casseroles do.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Made this again for lunches for three days.... I love it!

Has anyone frozen it? It's very economical, I'd scale up and make more if I could freeze successfully

I make this a lot (not this exact recipe but extremely similar) and it freezes and reheats very well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

made this last night (added some red peppers in with the onions), tasty and simple, will definitely make again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Made it again and added cannellini beans. Bloody delicious!!! And another portion in the freezer.:)

RosyLily wrote: »
    Made it again and added cannellini beans. Bloody delicious!!! And another portion in the freezer.:)

Double-dipping on the pulses! Is there nothing to be said for some lentils, I thought the last two went very well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Making a veggie version of this tomorrow with quorn sausages, adding some harissa paste to make up for the lack of chorizo and omitting the wine altogether. Hope it works. Will let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Made this today but with 4 quorn sausages and a can of Aldi's mixed beans as they were all out of chickpeas. It was lovely, so quick and easy to make and really filling. Making it again tomorrow :pac:

Advertisement