Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking club Week 5: Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's a handy looking bit of kit you have there, Susie. Care to identify the spices? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Yes, no problem!

Clockwise from top we have turmeric, garam masala, green cardamom pods, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chilli powder and then ground coriander in the middle. The stainless steel spice holder is very typical here in India - I totally fell in love with them and had to buy one. It has an airtight lid so keeps everything fresh and smelling great.

The bottom left is my electric spice grinder which again is a local piece of kit and seriously brilliant - in 30 seconds flat it will have a very fine powder out of even hard spices like star anise or cloves. Makes life much easier when you like to make pastes or spice mixes from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

love the grinder :) nice opportunity for you to learn some local recipes while your in curryland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I put all the recipes in this thread so far (plus the malaysian curry recipe from the other thread) into a little doc to print off

If anyone else wants it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/417235/2012%20Cooking%20Club%20Week%202b-%20Indian%20Resturant%20curries.rtf

wow thats neat, nice job! i think you ment to put it in the indian curries tread :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Right you are.... I was in a rush -I was printing it out to use as a shopping list too and I was just heading out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just bought ingrediants for this (came to nearly €30!) and the spices alone were almost €20. I suppose I won't have to buy them again if I'm making similar food in the future. Still need to get a pestle and mortar - any ideas where to pick one up cheapish in Dublin?

Tusky wrote: »
    Just bought ingrediants for this (came to nearly €30!) and the spices alone were almost €20. I suppose I won't have to buy them again if I'm making similar food in the future. Still need to get a pestle and mortar - any ideas where to pick one up cheapish in Dublin?

I got mine in asia market on drury street it was around 20e for a large stone one, i wouldnt buy any other tbh, as the are great. even though its a large one i often cant fit all the ingredients i want into it and wish it was bigger!

you could also use a small coffee grinder or borrow one for the moment :)

it is a worth while investment as home cooked Asian food can be a lot better than what u get in take aways / restaurants when u get good at it :pac:

I got mine in asia market on drury street it was around 20e for a large stone one, i wouldnt buy any other tbh, as the are great. even though its a large one i often cant fit all the ingredients i want into it and wish it was bigger!

it is a worth while investment as home cooked Asian food can be a lot better than what u get in take aways / restaurants when u get good at it :pac:

...Was hoping to pick one up for €10ish. Can't justify €40 on spice related purchases in one week! ha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wouldn't advise it, the coffee will be badly tainted afterwards.

• Advertisement

Turned out really well - delicious. One slight problem: there was something in it that was a bit hard to chew, possibly lemongrass. Will chop smaller next time.

lazk1.jpg

Only thing is: I followed the spice mix recipe and it only looks like enough for about 3, maybe 4 dishes (and not the 10 mentioned in OP).

Turned out really well - delicious. One slight problem: there was something in it that was a bit hard to chew, possibly lemongrass. Will chop smaller next time.

Only thing is: I followed the spice mix recipe and it only looks like enough for about 3, maybe 4 dishes (and not the 10 mentioned in OP).

looks good :pac: i guess i was being a bit ambitious with 10 in the original post. its most likely the lemongrass that was a bit tough, glad you enjoyed!

looks good :pac: i guess i was being a bit ambitious with 10 in the original post. its most likely the lemongrass that was a bit tough, glad you enjoyed!

Will definitely make again. Have to find some other recipes to use all these spices for now! ...I'm turning into a curry addict! Possibly some Indian ones.

Will definitely make again. Have to find some other recipes to use all these spices for now! ...I'm turning into a curry addict! Possibly some Indian ones.

you could use up plenty on these recipes :pac: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wow, this was nice. I'd put it on my tooth brush if it were accepted in society.
    It's amazing how the final ingredients set it off; I was tasting it as I went along and wasn't too impressed but when I added the fish sauce and sugar it all came together.
    Is it me or is there something in it that reminds you of chipper curry?

Ipso wrote: »
    Wow, this was nice. I'd put it on my tooth brush if it were accepted in society.
    It's amazing how the final ingredients set it off; I was tasting it as I went along and wasn't too impressed but when I added the fish sauce and sugar it all came together.
    Is it me or is there something in it that reminds you of chipper curry?

it reminds me of a chinese curry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I'm going to try this over the weekend, I always follow the Curry Addicts Indian curry recipes so I have no doubt this will be a winner. Thanks again

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I'm going to try this over the weekend, I always follow the Curry Addicts Indian curry recipes so I have no doubt this will be a winner. Thanks again

its a nice quick one, hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

As expected, this was delicious! Full of flavour with a nice kick to it. Very quick and easy to make once you have everything prepared in advance. I made enough for today's dinner too. Thanks again curry Addict:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

made this last week and loved it. still have lots of spice mix left so having it tonight again this time with beef!

• Advertisement

ilovetorun wrote: »
    As expected, this was delicious! Full of flavour with a nice kick to it. Very quick and easy to make once you have everything prepared in advance. I made enough for today's dinner too. Thanks again curry Addict:)

glad you enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

made this this week, delicious thanks op

looks great, glad you enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made this for dinner tonight, but since I was cooking a big pot for the family I cooked it long and slow. And I used lamb. And I added potatoes. I blended the onion, lemongrass, garlic and ginger (yes I added this too) to a paste so there's no funny grainy texture from the lemongrass.
    The spices are divine, Curry Addict. Perfect balance. Seriously, was this delicious or was this delicious? I really enjoyed this very much, so did the family. A definite regular in our menu.

018_zps06c24ad5.jpg

Just so you know, in Malaysia this is actually a kurma curry, rather than just a curry which is normally much much milder and soupy.

very nice adaptation Mrs fox it looks really delicious :pac: the freshly roasted spices really do bring this curry alive.

im a big fan of slow cooking myself. it wouldn't be unusual to find a big pot on the cooker here at 10am in the morning.

i would recommend trying this one if you havent already noticed it buried in the cooking club recipe vaults :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515174

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

very nice adaptation Mrs fox it looks really delicious :pac: the freshly roasted spices really do bring this curry alive.

im a big fan of slow cooking myself. it wouldn't be unusual to find a big pot on the cooker here at 10am in the morning.

i would recommend trying this one if you havent already noticed it buried in the cooking club recipe vaults :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515174

I have noticed the burmese curry before. I will most definitely try the kua curry paste.
    i'm out of kaffir lime leaves at the moment so i'll wait til my next asian grocery trip.
    keep coming with more curry recipes, please CA.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I have noticed the burmese curry before. I will most definitely try the kua curry paste.
    i'm out of kaffir lime leaves at the moment so i'll wait til my next asian grocery trip.
    keep coming with more curry recipes, please CA.

tbh id recommend making green curry paste to use here instead of the kua curry paste as its more usefull in other dishes. the kua curry paste is simpler, as the region its from is more remote so less ingredients are used etc. the difference will not be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Curry Addict, just tried this today & have to say it was superb.. Really lovely complex spices & a nice but not too hot kick from the chillis. So easy to make too once the spice mix is made. I was worried it might be too sweet with oyster sauce & sugar so put in a bit less and it was just right for me. Also didn't have lemongrass so put in lime leaves instead. Will try with lemongrass next time.

Thanks for posting, it's not often a new recipie goes straight into the bank but this is defo gonna be a regular one for me! Now to look out for some more of your curries!

glad you enjoyed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I made this over the weekend with 4 chicken breasts and it tasted amazing. Superb flavours. I had it with rice on Saturday then used noodles flavoured with sesame oil, soy sauce and scallions tonight.
    Next time I might bash the lemongrass into a paste instead of chopping as I couldn't chop it fine enough. Also, the Cinnamon was difficult to grind manually so I may invest in a spice grinder.

I added cream to the recipe as I had some spare in the fridge, nice touch.

Thanks a million for this recipe OP, possibly the most authentic curry I have ever made. I'm still licking my lips

Advertisement