Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student died after heavy drinking session

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Dudess wrote: »
    That LSD/magic mushroom thing story seems everywhere - urban legend I'd bet.

This one?

Never quite figured out if the guy "thought he could fly", but the facts seem to be that he jumped/fell off a roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Apologies, I remember that story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

When I was about 13/14 a teacher gave me a copy of "Go Ask Alice" - it scared the sh*te out of me and I have never touched drugs (I'm hitting 40).

I wish I had read one about alcohol as well. My daughter will be reading Go Ask Alice and Gary Murphys story. Soon.

RIP young man.

Go Ask Alice http://www.amazon.com/Go-Ask-Alice/dp/0689817851

I have that book too. But to be honest, while it is a shocking read, if it was given to me at a younger age-i would've been in my late teens when i got it- it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference once i was out with my friends-the book would've been the last thing on my mind.

RIP Gary and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ah, here we go....."probably", "I bet", yada yada.
    People have died because they can't break down a double brandy, OK, Quincy?
    Girls have gone into diabetic comas after their first Bacardi Breezer.
    People's livers have shutdown and they've died after ONE ecstasy tablet.

People die of SHOCK....no alcohol involved.

I'm not a pathologist like you but I can say with a certain degree of confidence that the amount of alcohol he flooded his body with, combined with falling onto tables (concussion), combined with being stripped naked and left in a lift had something to do with his demise and I doubt that them not putting him in a "correct" sleeping position was the reason for his death.

If I was a pathologist, I wouldn't be using probably and I bet.

But lets look at what we know.

A 19 year old boy who plays sports regularily. So we can assume he is fit, and probably quite healthy given the exertion required.

Being still young, and assuming he started drinking when he was 16, yes, I make assumptions on AH, shocker :eek:!!! He would have had a rather regular tolerance, like most 19 year old.

Yes, he would pass out due to the amount drank, it would be assumed he was tired after the physical exertion of that day, but being happy about winning would keep him awake to celebrate, so it's quite possible he passed out.

Now, when someone passes out, especially from drink it would be good practice to turn them on their side.

But since everyone else was on drink, they decided it would be fun to mess with him, all well and good, but moving someones body when they have no control over it?

I've been in Victoria Mills, that is NOT a warm place! So to strip him naked?

Given he was a fit, and probably healthy young man, it's unlikely that amount of alcohol killed him!

It says "After he drank what was described as a lethal amount of alcohol", but it never says this is the cause. It goes on to explain the situation around the death, would this be relevant or mentioned if the coroner had not mentioned it?

Yes, that's alot of drink, but not likely to kill a regular person who has been drinking long enough to build a tolerance.

The fact is, that his friends maneuvered his body around while he had no natural defences against things like vomiting and blocked airway.

I'm not saying it was their fault, but it's very possible that they had him in a bad way when he was in bed.

My point stands.

And Finally, Sugar and Drugs, the cause of the two cases you mentioned. That point does not stand to reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

So easily could have been many of us. Typical drunken mindless friends that so many of us had or still have.

I think many people will at some point relate to this because of the way his friends acted and will cop some people on.

When I heard it on the radio I stopped walking around the shop and was kinda laughing when I heard the lift part(thinking that was a good one) but when I realised it was going to end badly I stoped and felt bad inside especially when I heard the ending. Cant imagine how his friends feel.

RIP Dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

The friends will be a sorry sight turning out at the funeral after doing all this while their friend was dying and it has now become public knowledge.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

johnn wrote: »
    The friends will be a sorry sight turning out at the funeral after doing all this while their friend was dying and it has now become public knowledge.

RIP.

He died last year. It's become public knowledge cos the inquest was today.

eire2009 wrote: »
    So easily could have been many of us. Typical drunken mindless friends that so many of us had or still have.
    ... or are/were. Lets not pretend there aren't people on this thread who haven't done the same - but they hardly intended to kill him. The message that alcohol is a good laugh far overshadows the message that it is potentially dangerous - and that doesn't just go for Irish society, seems to be the case for most English-speaking countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

My heart goes out to his family, such a tragic loss.

From my many years in college and the experiences I had this isn't a huge amount for a man of his age to drink. I wonder what timespan it was over?

I do think his friends went to far with their behaviour. The shaving eyebrows is an old one, but putting someone who was likely to be in a near comatose state into a lift naked is going way too far. That's pure stupidity and ignorance all for a laugh. However, I would bet on the fact that none of them ever thought or believed it may contribute to serious detriment to his life.

He sounds like a guy that had it all going for him in the right directions. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I have that book too. But to be honest, while it is a shocking read, if it was given to me at a younger age-i would've been in my late teens when i got it- it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference once i was out with my friends-the book would've been the last thing on my mind.

RIP Gary and condolences to his family.

It worked for me, but if it was as easy as giving every kid a book to stop them becoming addicted to a substance - we'd be sorted. One thing it won't do is encourage young people to take drugs.

Garys story is not going to encourage anyone to drink. Which is a Good Thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

seanbmc wrote: »
    He died from pneumonia, he would have been fine if his so called friends didn't do all of those idiotic things to him.

Pneumonia is the result of aspiration, where a liquid or solid is inhaled into the lungs. This can be very dangerous, as a serious incidence will restrict the absorption of oxygen and eventually the bloodflow around the body.

I suspect the person aspirated some liquid, but was too drunk for his body to 'wake up' or react. Altered bloodflow would have caused his lips to turn blue, and lack of oxygen would have caused the coma.

This is an extremely tragic incident, and it shows that alcohol can be a very dangerous drug in more ways that the well-known alcohol poisoning or liver damage.

My condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Maybe

It all came from an inquest at the coroner's court.
    So realy, it's public knowledge.
    I wouldn't think a family can demand a coroner and the media not to release information,
    RTÉ have it today, it will be in the papers tomorrow

Maybe a question for the legal forum on what information comes out of a coroner court.

Anyway, my sympathies to the family.

Ya they may not be able to demand it, but this type of death occurs many times a year in this country and is not reported on for whatever reason. information from inquests might may a small appearance in newspapers but not on the main evening news. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if the family had pushed for it to be highlighted. I could be completely wrong in that though so will stand corrected if I am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... My point stands. ...
    You have no point nor do your posts display that you have even the most basic knowledge or expertise needed to sustain the point you think you have made, your point being just hot-air; meaningless, insensitive waffle. BTW, you are not alone.

On reading your contributions to this thread it is obvious that the gaps in your medical knowledge, your lack of insight into the lethal effects of heavy alcohol consumption over a short period of time and the deficits in your research capabilities would fill several libraries.

Here are some medical facts presented in court -

"The Coroners court in Cork has heard that a UCC student died after drinking a lethal* amount of alcohol at a party in his apartment....

"A post mortem found that his blood alcohol level was nearly eight times over the legal driving limit and that the amount of alcohol he drank caused his heart to stop..."

Source : - http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/student-drank-lethal-amount-of-alcohol-at-party-inquest-finds-480455.html

*Lethal - relating to, or causing death; capable of causing death.

This consistent point, made in all the reports I have read, seems to have escaped you or you have chosen to dismiss it because you somehow believe you know better.

Medical, para-medical, eye-witness, post-mortem and other evidence was presented to the coroner, an experienced medical professional, and her jury. She then made her recommendations. The jury returned its verdict in line with all the evidence presented.

Based on the facts that Mr Murphy's lips were reported as being cyanosed in the apartment, an observation that triggered the call to the emergency services, and that he died of bronchial pneumonia ten days later in hospital, filling in the gaps isn't a huge challenge, but I don't see it as being particularly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

R.I.P GARY

I don't want you guys to take this the wrong way i feel really sorry to the family and friends of gary but really don't think anybody will pay much attention to this story and it will be forgotten in a couple of days.I have had many a session with my friends and lads have lost an eyebrow or two there's no harm meant in it just friends having a laugh at each other.I'm 24 years old and still head out for a session most weekends with the lads to get hammered and will continue to do so i honestly feel sorry for his friends and family but unfortunately it's just a freak accident and a young man lost his life.

mathepac wrote: »
    You have no point nor do your posts display that you have even the most basic knowledge or expertise needed to sustain the point you think you have made, your point being just hot-air; meaningless, insensitive waffle. BTW, you are not alone.
    He's suggesting what others suggested: the possibility the victim choked on his vomit due to being positioned dangerously. What he's also saying is that he knows of people who had that much to drink on a night and didn't die, as have I. Not saying it's an ok amount to drink btw.
    Since when are medical knowledge and extensive research prerequisites for posting to an AH thread, even a serious one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I do think his friends went to far with their behaviour. The shaving eyebrows is an old one, but putting someone who was likely to be in a near comatose state into a lift naked is going way too far. That's pure stupidity and ignorance all for a laugh. However, I would bet on the fact that none of them ever thought or believed it may contribute to serious detriment to his life.

It's Ireland, they were probably just having the "craic" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

He's suggesting what others suggested: the possibility the victim choked on his vomit due to being positioned dangerously. What he's also saying is that he knows of people who had that much to drink on a night and didn't die, as have I. Not saying it's an ok amount to drink btw.
    Since when are medical knowledge and extensive research prerequisites for posting to an AH thread, even a serious one?

I would suggest that medical knowledge and extensive research are a lot more credible than people's speculation on what may/may not have happened.

@Dudess, I'm not sure how you can justify saying that I'm being a "bit personal", given that I've addressed my self to the content of that (and other people's) posts. If you feel I have breached the AH charter or posting guidelines, please feel free to refer my post(s) to the moderators / admins.

You might mean of course that the "bit personal" is in relation to yourself, given that your post earlier in the thread seems to make the same unsubstantiated point about the friends' roles on the night in question.

I have no problem with anyone expressing an opinion, such is the nature of a bulletin-board discussion, but in the circumstance here, where a young man is dead needlessly, I believe that any opinion expressed needs to be informed and not just idle speculation - stupid gossip, if you prefer.

You posted - "What he's also saying is that he knows of people who had that much to drink on a night and didn't die, as have I." My response is so what, how does that add value to the discussion? Your post has fallen into the same trap as the original post I commented on by displaying the same lack of knowledge.

One of the facts about this deadly substance is that the same quantity of alcohol consumed over a different time-scale in different circumstances can have drastically different outcomes for the drinker, even lethal as was the case for poor young Gary Murphy. Only a completely irresponsible idiot would attempt to calculate or specify a safe maximum dose of alcohol for any individual or tell them what it is safe level for their drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

ANY other drug and there'd be uproar... but not for our beloved alcohol

mathepac wrote: »
    @Dudess, I'm not sure how you can justify saying that I'm being a "bit personal", given that I've addressed my self to the content of that (and other people's) posts. If you feel I have breached the AH charter or posting guidelines, please feel free to refer my post(s) to the moderators / admins.
    Yeah, I edited that as there was no need for it - d'oh, still caught. :o
    Sorry, just felt you were being a bit harsh. Genuinely don't think there was any malice or offence meant by Minidazzler.
    You might mean of course that the "bit personal" is in relation to yourself, given that your post earlier in the thread seems to make the same unsubstantiated point about the friends' roles on the night in question.
    Wo... I "might" not...
    I have no problem with anyone expressing an opinion, such is the nature of a bulletin-board discussion, but in the circumstance here, where a young man is dead needlessly, I believe that any opinion expressed needs to be informed and not just idle speculation - stupid gossip, if you prefer.

You posted - "What he's also saying is that he knows of people who had that much to drink on a night and didn't die, as have I." My response is so what, how does that add value to the discussion? Your post has fallen into the same trap as the original post I commented on by displaying the same lack of knowledge.

One of the facts about this deadly substance is that the same quantity of alcohol consumed over a different time-scale in different circumstances can have drastically different outcomes for the drinker, even lethal as was the case for poor young Gary Murphy. Only a completely irresponsible idiot would attempt to calculate or specify a safe maximum dose of alcohol for any individual or tell them what it is safe level for their drinking.
    Fair enough - no offence meant. Just thought MD was attempting to make the same point as others re choking...

• Advertisement

... Fair enough - no offence meant. Just thought MD was attempting to make the same point as others re choking...
    Sound none taken.

On the choking thing, that really gets my goat as not one of the reports I've read mentions it. The original RTE thread starter one says " ... The coroner's court was told that paramedics could not resuscitate Gary Murphy from Palm Drive, Grantstown Village, Waterford, when they were called to his apartment ... ". As far as I'm concerned someone somewhere along the line appears to have imagined the choking or invented it.

I might have missed something about it; if I did I apologise.

Well I thought that's what the explanation of bronchial pneumonia given earlier meant.

Aspiration pneumonia is the type most often associated with inhaling foreign matter (saliva, food, drink, stomach contents, vomit, etc) into the lungs, by for example choking on food or vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can we at least agree he wouldn't be in that state without the assistance of that much alchohol?

I'll assume none of us are medically inclined, and even if we were we can't verify people's credentials here. Let Journalists report on the official cause of death, as told by coroners. And to that extent, I will certainly agree with people a few pages ago in that some things are best left not poked at.

We did already forget about the other kid who died to alchohol, when his liver failed. He was also 19.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661939&highlight=liver+failure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

einshteen wrote: »

And then theres tobacco . .

In all fairness there are plenty of "acceptable drugs" that are part of society . .

Society conforms to whatever it likes and what is populist . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

How tragic!

Saying that, and I mean this with all respect, if some-one is going to go out and drink stupid dangerous amounts of alcohol what do they expect?

I don't go in for this 'ah-sure-we've-all-done-it' crap tbh. Heavy drinking is too readily accpeting as the norm in this country and it really does no-one any favours trying to defend this behaviour.

Getting so drunk you end up comatose is reckless and dangerous and anyone who allows themselves to get that bad is asking for trouble imo.

I'm not saying the young man deserved to die of course, just that you can't drink that much and expect to come out unscathed.

We all know the consequences of drinking too much and hopefully this will serve as a lesson to those who regularly binge drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

einshteen wrote: »

Maybe.

I think alcohol is great though. I enjoyed a fine bottle of wine last night with my girlfriend. I'm still alive and able to function today. Don't let the few spoil it for the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Not much of a loss to be honest. Everyone knows the more you drink the more danger you put yourself in. Many a time I've woken up very hungover with lumps and cuts and all sorts and I knew it was my own fault. You can't expect to chug half a litre of vodka and not have bad sh*t happen. At least some people will stop being stupid with booze for a few weeks.

kiad wrote: »
    Not much of a loss to be honest. Everyone knows the more you drink the more danger you put yourself in. Many a time I've woken up very hungover with lumps and cuts and all sorts and I knew it was my own fault. You can't expect to chug half a litre of vodka and not have bad sh*t happen. At least some people will stop being stupid with booze for a few weeks.

Congratulations! You're officially going to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

idiot dies while making an idiot of himself to his idiot mates who make an idiot out of their dead friend and then feel like idiots when some other idiot realises he's dead

i congratulate rte on releasing the details as this goes on every weekend up and down the country where some feel completely invincible and dont realise the damage they're doing to themselves and the risks they're putting themselves at

Advertisement