Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student died after heavy drinking session

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

When you think you can fly,you usually try to take off from the ground first not off a balcony

I personally think there was a lot more to that story than some guy taking a few mushrooms. I've know lots of people that have been out of their head on mushrooms and not one ever thought they could fly. That doesn't even happen with LSD. The only drug I know of that would have that effect is PCP and that's not particularly popular is this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

TBH, his friends probably caused this, not by daring him, but I bet they didn't put him in a proper sleeping position when he was in bed!

One does not die from half a litre of vodka and 10 beers. One may pass out, and choke if in a bad position though.

I am not trying to act the big man, when I say I have drank far more than that and slept in the correct position to not die. If someone else puts you in a position then there is a higher risk of death I would think because they don't sense your discomfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I think and hope it might stop some fcuking idiots from striping their mate and leaving him open to getting pneumonia...

Being naked in a lift didn't cause pneumonia - in order to get it, you need to be very unlucky, or your immune system needs to be f*cked already. The reason he got it was that he was in a coma. See here.

It was just a typical student night out that went badly wrong because of a little poor judgement. I feel bad for the kid's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I never, ever understood this crap about shaving off eyebrows and stripping people naked. I'm not boring or anything, I love a good session, but what is funny about humiliating someone who is supposed to be a friend? When a friend of mine gets too drunk, my instinct is to look after them, put a blanket on them and leave them alone, not assault them. But I guess it's just 'having a laugh' in these idiots' eyes. Who needs enemies...? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I personally think there was a lot more to that story than some guy taking a few mushrooms. I've know lots of people that have been out of their head on mushrooms and not one ever thought they could fly. That doesn't even happen with LSD. The only drug I know of that would have that effect is PCP and that's not particularly popular is this country.

And besides, if they think they can fly, why don't they just take off from the ground first, test it out, you know, like birds do! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gurramok wrote: »
    Crazy stuff:eek:. I wonder will anyone else take heed of binge drinking like this?.:confused:

No, because it'll never happen to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

prinz wrote: »
    Did he take the equivalent of half a litre of vodka and 5 litres of beer worth of mushrooms? Just as this thread should not be about taking the piss out of the young lad involved it shouldn't be about trying to score some stupid f*cking points about alcohol v mushrooms v headshops or anything of the sort. Heed your own advice.

Eh? I only brought up mushrooms because the government banned them because they believed mushrooms were the cause of a suicide. Now we know for a fact that alcohol causes numerous deaths/suicides annually but there's never a call for a ban. So why the hypocrisy? Maybe it has something to do with the massive amount of money the drinks industry makes in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

BAN ALOCHOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭postgrad23

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I never, ever understood this crap about shaving off eyebrows and stripping people naked. I'm not boring or anything, I love a good session, but what is funny about humiliating someone who is supposed to be a friend? When a friend of mine gets too drunk, my instinct is to look after them, put a blanket on them and leave them alone, not assault them. But I guess it's just 'having a laugh' in these idiots' eyes. Who needs enemies...? :rolleyes:

I found that part of the story the most upsetting. They must feel terrible about what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

rebel10 wrote: »
    I disagree. Think of all the students out there that would consider what he drank as being managable.:eek: Think of the idiots on here thinking the same. If this makes just one student, which it certainly will in UCC anyway, think about the amount they have drunk and limit it, then the media has done ok here i think.

I wasn't talking about the media, more the thread :p

I'd be for the media reporting it more if they want.

I just think young people will blame the idiot mates as the cause of death, not the alcohol.

Not that I'm blaming them mind, we all make mistakes in life and I guess they were drunk themselves at the time.

Had a friend who went to sleep on the sofa and choked on his own vomit and died and another mate that the same happened to after just three pints when he was 20 (he was on antibiotics) at the time.

If highlighted this story helps, cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Nice friends!! wonder did he ever collect his winnings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

postgrad23 wrote: »
    I found that part of the story the most upsetting. They must feel terrible about what they did.
    Agree with you.:( Can you even begin to imagine...
    They, i presume, were around the same age. I work with boys around the same age as them and honestly they don't realise the possible consequences of some of the stuff they do. After this story, maybe a few will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I didn't read the rte link but breakingnews.ie said it was 1/4 of a bottle of vodka , is 250ml of vodka a lot in one whack?

seems like a very small amount of drink to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

ntlbell wrote: »
    I didn't read the rte link but breakingnews.ie said it was 1/4 of a bottle of vodka , is 250ml of vodka a lot in one whack?

RTE says he ended up drinking a litre of vodka on top of some beer he had had previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Probably that he would get drunk and have a good time and do some stupid things and wake up in the morning with an awful hangover. Not die.

Anyway, I think it was unprofessional of RTE to broadcast the precise sequence of events that took place after he passed out. Nobody needed to know that he was put naked in an elevator or had his eyebrow shaved off. It's just more unnecessary pain and humiliation for the family.

I don't think the details of their drunken pranks would cause pain and humiliation. These kind of silly antics happen all the time during teenage drinking sessions.
    So he was pranked by his mates who no doubtedly loved and miss him. It's not like he was murdered and tortured and grisly details of what was done to him were made known adding to the family anguish.
    The tragedy of a young man's unecessary death far outweighs a few details about the horseplay and tomfoolery at the party.
    A little bit of clarity and perspective.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I remember, when i was in college, being part of a society. We used to get money from the students union but only for drinking events. One time i organised a trip to the National Gallery with a bunch from the society and remember being refused point blank when i asked for funding for the trip because there would be no alcohol involved!:eek:
    What??

If anything, there has been a big push over the last number of years from colleges / student services (source of society funding) / student unions to curtail any perception of encouraging drinking, even at the most harmless level.

What college are you talking about?
    I.T.'s have 3 year courses
    Universities, most are 4 years.
    Em ... no.

Degrees in universities can be 3 years or 4 years, depending on the faculty (leaving aside unusual ones like medicine / dentistry / pharmacy).

IoTs for the most part have ...

... 2 year courses (Higher Certificates)
    ... 3 year courses (Ordinary Degree)
    ... 4 year courses (Honours Degree)

It is normally possible to progress from Higher Cert. to ordinary degree to honours degree.

If anything, 3 year courses are more common in Universities, 4 year in IoTs.

You seem to be throwing a lot of information out there which is questionable as to its accuracy for a student / former student tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I knew the self-righteous majority would rear their heads on this.:rolleyes:

We were all young once and did things we are not proud of and I doubt his mates wanted him to die. So get off your high horses.

I think kids, should be taught at an early age of the effects of drugs and alcohol in order to make an informed decision for themselves. I am sick and tired of people thinking they can point their fingers at others and say "well what did he expect" or "that would never happen to me" as if to say they lead cosy, mistake free lives.

RIP and I hope lessons are learned from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

ntlbell wrote: »

Not at all, I'm sure I've had more than that in one go, after other drinks, but it really does affect everyone differently. I have a friend who's practically comatose after a few strong pints. Makes a difference how much you've eaten that day, all sorts of things. The important thing is to look out for your friends instead of acting like a total selfish twat. Imagine if they'd told him to take it easy and have some water instead of egging him on for their own entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

What??

If anything, there has been a big push over the last number of years from colleges / student services (source of society funding) / student unions to curtail any perception of encouraging drinking, even at the most harmless level.

What college are you talking about?

Em ... no.

Degrees in universities can be 3 years or 4 years, depending on the faculty (leaving aside unusual ones like medicine / dentistry / pharmacy).

IoTs for the most part have ...

... 2 year courses (Higher Certificates)
    ... 3 year courses (Ordinary Degree)
    ... 4 year courses (Honours Degree)

It is normally possible to progress from Higher Cert. to ordinary degree to honours degree.

If anything, 3 year courses are more common in Universities, 4 year in IoTs.

You seem to be throwing a lot of information out there which is questionable as to its accuracy for a student / former student tbh.
    Sorry but i just couldn't be bothered going into details about something that was kinda irrelevant. The courses have changed since i went to college, I received a diploma after 3 years and my degree after 4.
    I went to CIT. That was 8 years ago, so perhaps alot has changed in terms of funding for societies in the colleges, but this was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Not at all, I'm sure I've had more than that in one go, after other drinks, but it really does affect everyone differently. I have a friend who's practically comatose after a few strong pints. Makes a difference how much you've eaten that day, all sorts of things. The important thing is to look out for your friends instead of acting like a total selfish twat. Imagine if they'd told him to take it easy and have some water instead of egging him on for their own entertainment.

The friends do come out of this looking bad but they did call for help when they realised it was more serious. For all they knew he was just sleeping. Hopefully it will make people take more care in future, very sad for the friends and family in this case though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

TBH, his friends probably caused this, not by daring him, but I bet they didn't put him in a proper sleeping position when he was in bed!

One does not die from half a litre of vodka and 10 beers. One may pass out, and choke if in a bad position though.

I am not trying to act the big man, when I say I have drank far more than that and slept in the correct position to not die. If someone else puts you in a position then there is a higher risk of death I would think because they don't sense your discomfort!

Ah, here we go....."probably", "I bet", yada yada.
    People have died because they can't break down a double brandy, OK, Quincy?
    Girls have gone into diabetic comas after their first Bacardi Breezer.
    People's livers have shutdown and they've died after ONE ecstasy tablet.

People die of SHOCK....no alcohol involved.

I'm not a pathologist like you but I can say with a certain degree of confidence that the amount of alcohol he flooded his body with, combined with falling onto tables (concussion), combined with being stripped naked and left in a lift had something to do with his demise and I doubt that them not putting him in a "correct" sleeping position was the reason for his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Re-opened

Please keep it respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Very sad to hear.
    Has definitely put me off drinking games especially with that amount of vodka involved!

I'd like to say that awareness like the above is a good thing. Be careful out there folks, drink alcohol in moderation and know your limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Wow, I would feel pretty damn bad right now if I were one of these 'friends'. There's having a laugh but they crossed the line by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Posted this awhile back in the walk of shame thread, some similarities. Its frightening to think how young and stupid you can be when it comes to drinking.

Was at a house party after a night out when i was 17. Was well on it when we got back to the house. Thinking i was the big man, lashing back the vodka straight. Wasn't long before i reached blackout stage.
    Following morning, woke up with a very sore head. My clothes covered in sick beside me. Went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. A big chunk of my hair gone, straight down the middle of my head, no eyebrows left and lipstick all over me. I looked like one of the coneheads.
    The feeling of despair i got after looking in the mirror i can't describe. If there was a hole in the ground, i would have jumped into it.
    Anyway, the walk home i will never forget. Couldn't wear my clothes from night before cause they were covered in puke. Asked the guy who owned the house for some clothes.
    He hands me out a guinness t-shirt that is faded and about 3 times too big, a dirty tracksuit bottom and a blue plastic bag( like the ones you get in hospital) to put my own clothes into.
    So off i go, a big line shaved down the middle of my head, no eyebrows, a faded t-shirt that is too big for me, dirty tracksuit bottoms, a big pair of black shoes with a buckle on the front and a bag that looks like its from the hospital in my hand.
    The looks and laughs i got on that 5 min walk home will haunt me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,627 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TechnoPool wrote: »
    10 cans and a litre of vodka? arent these students supposed to be broke?
    Cans cost a euro a pop and vodka can be cheap. Stupid cheap.

The smart drinker actually goes for the good stuff. I myself enjoy specialty craft beers. Much less likely to binge on that stuff. Most of its $2-8 a bottle, depending on the quality.

We've done some silly things to our friends when drunk like give em wedgies and **** but I can't imagine how these friends of his feel. Even as far as karma and learning lessons about life goes, thats got to be fcuking brutal to live with. I hope everyone involved the best and condolences to the boy's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Drinking games are idiotic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I went to CIT. That was 8 years ago, so perhaps a lot has changed in terms of funding for societies in the colleges, but this was my experience.
    Fair enough if that was your experience.

However, as someone who goes back a little further than that, I can guarantee that other colleges had different attitudes well before that. I can remember nearly having to go on my knees to get approval for the purchase of 6 bottles of wine for a reception for about 30 people, even though the prospectives attendees included the 2 distinguished guest lecturers for the night, the academics from the relevant department and the committee of the relevant society ... hardly a recipe for binge drinking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I drank a pint mixture of vodka, gin, poteen and ETHANOL ...
    Not such a mixture really as ethanol is the principal "active ingredient" in alcoholic beverages, the rest being ingredients that add colour, flavour, aroma, bulk, etc. While I don't for one moment condone or recommend drinking neat etahnol, if you'd drunk methanol, the outcome might have been much more serious.
    ... Condolensces to the family
    Absolutely; a mindless, needless tragedy.
    Jesus Christ RTÉ I'm sure the family aren't exactly okay with all those details being made public...
    The evidence, conduct and findings at a coroner's inquest held in public are matters of public record. It is arguably in the public interest that all of these matters get wide-spread publicity such that as many people as possible can learn from what happened, hopefully avoiding repetition.

No doubt the young man's family are deeply upset by the publicity, but if it saves one life their upset at the publicity may be a small price to pay in comparison to the enormous loss they suffered through his death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

After he fell on the coffee table and on a concrete floor, why did his friends think it would be funny to do this to him? It's awful.

As a previous user said, when one of my friends in college was drunk my first instinct was to look after them.

Putting someone in a lift naked when they're obviously in trouble (he had taken a bang twice at this stage) is ridiculous.

Advertisement