Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco open Superstore in Naas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

kraggy wrote: »
    Superquinn charges ridiculous prices for having a ridiculous amount of staff on duty doing ridiculously unnecessary things.

In the old days. My local Superquinn does not have ridiculous amounts of staff.
    And they're not much more expensive, infact in some cases, they're on a par with prices with tesco's or dunnes. Lots of specials on on meats, branded items etc.......they compete well and are an irish co, keeping their profits in ireland. Win win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

kraggy wrote: »
    Superquinn charges ridiculous prices for having a ridiculous amount of staff on duty doing ridiculously unnecessary things.

Like cleaning? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Everybody hates tescos yet we all go into tescos.

The honourable Irishmen within Kilkenny don't go anywhere near those scummy British chains!

*It's only a coincidence that we're the only county in Ireland without a Tesco store. Seriously it's just a coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not terribly good news for a town that currently has 74 retail premises for let or for sale. Tesco's are becoming another walmart, arriving outside small towns and crucifying established retail outlets, It won't be long until they rename NAAS, Tumbleweed.

Forget about any major jump in employment, they have moved existing staff from other outlets and their distributuion centre also the traditional christmas additional employment opportunities has now been farmed out to an agency, offering lower rates.

Just informed my Bank is closing its branch in NAAS, hardly inspiring news, perhaps TESCOS might consider going into Banking.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just informed my Bank is closing its branch in NAAS, hardly inspiring news, perhaps TESCOS might consider going into Banking.

They already are in Banking!

http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/home.jsp

The funny thing is, they already have moved into banking.

Edit: Not quick enough, obviously. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Which bank? And why is this not in the Kildare forum??

The funny thing is, they already have moved into banking.

Edit: Not quick enough, obviously. :-D

Not as quick as bloody Tesco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

They are going into everything else. This new store has clothes, electrics, homeware, toys.... basically, they are becoming Walmart like you say.. domination. I think they are in banking , at least they give loans and credit cards too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Yeah it's Tesco's fault that "local" shops / chains are closing. Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Not terribly good news for a town that currently has 74 retail premises for let or for sale. Tesco's are becoming another walmart, arriving outside small towns and crucifying established retail outlets, It won't be long until they rename NAAS, Tumbleweed.

Forget about any major jump in employment, they have moved existing staff from other outlets and their distributuion centre also the traditional christmas additional employment opportunities has now been farmed out to an agency, offering lower rates.

They already do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

yeah a quick google search shows numerous anti tesco protests in smaller towns of the uk but over here we all welcome them with open arms.

they are exactly like walmart, surely this new superstore means the local business people who in turn employ locals, will suffer mostly.

I know National Irish Bank is closing.....or is there another one shutting up shop?

NIB are closing their Branch end of November, not sure why its not on the Kildare forum.

As regards the smart arses and Tesco Banking, I meant Retail Banking not Credit Cards, Personal finance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

tis the biggest tesco in the country, previously was maynooth, sells everything!!!

the TV section alone is bigger than some of the power citys i've been in!

tis the biggest tesco in the country, previously was maynooth, sells everything!!!

Yes was there a few weeks ago but have you seen the Vast previous site they were in, left abandoned and un used.

Just hope this new Tesco is not has badly run as the one in Tullamore, absolutely dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Theres actually a tescos village in this new place. Its a new breed of tescos people. They have bar codes on their necks, best before dates tattooed on their holes & speak like this beep beep....beep, unidentified object in bagging area...

Tescans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

flyton5 wrote: »
    Like cleaning? :rolleyes:

No. Like rearranging displays a million times. Like providing trollies with a kid's go-kart incorporated simply so that Naomi and her little Fionn can block up the whole place.

All unnecessary gimmicks add to the cost of running the business, which in turn increase prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaranamo

I think what they do is add on another toilet cubicle or two when they're building a new one and call it the biggest in Ireland to get peoples attention. The Monread Road will probably have the slowest-moving traffic in Ireland when it opens though... especially this Friday if this is true:

http://clane.newsfinch.ie/entertainment/nadine-coyle-coming-to-tesco-extra-naas/

• Advertisement

Saadyst wrote: »
    Yeah it's Tesco's fault that "local" shops / chains are closing. Get real.

Ah here, it's blindingly obvious that if a massive corporate store opens in a small town it will have a knock-on effect on smaller businesses that just can't compete.

Tesco is often much cheaper than smaller stores, so it's up to you if you want to view this as positive or negative. However, I think it's a given that if a large multinational opens in a town, local business suffers.

Critics say the UK’s richest retailer is acting as a “manipulative monopoly” through its vast wealth and ownership of a massive bank of development sites, and rushing through building programmes ahead of the introduction of controls that would severely limit its expansion.

UK pressure group Tescopoly told just-food that Tesco’s aggressive expansion has been “disastrous” for local shops and small businesses.

“[Tesco] already controls a third of the UK’s grocery market but is using increasingly dodgy tactics to gain further market share – such as front companies to buy land and using bogus figures to support planning applications,” said Helen Rimmer, Tescopoly spokesperson and Friends of the Earth food campaigner. Link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Suppose every little helps, or possibly not.

Sorry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Good news for Naas and the people it will employ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Good news for Naas and the people it will employ.

Dont know, they seem to have machines to do most things in Tescos

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

bad news for the traffic on the monread road. its already a nightmare in the mornings and evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Dont know, they seem to have machines to do most things in Tescos

I thought i read that there will be +200 jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

NIB are closing their Branch end of November, not sure why its not on the Kildare forum.

As regards the smart arses and Tesco Banking, I meant Retail Banking not Credit Cards, Personal finance etc.

Thanks but I meant the whole thread! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Ah here, it's blindingly obvious that if a massive corporate store opens in a small town it will have a knock-on effect on smaller businesses that just can't compete.

Tesco is often much cheaper than smaller stores, so it's up to you if you want to view this as positive or negative. However, I think it's a given that if a large multinational opens in a town, local business suffers.

Yeah you are right, but I don't see how it is Tesco's fault... they are just doing what business should be doing - making money and being profitable.

Makes it a lot more convenient for me, and I actually prefer established supermarkets like this: there's more on the shelves, things are typically organised better, cheaper, standard policies etc.

It's regrettable that local businesses start to suffer, but you can't disparage Tesco for that.

I don't want them to become a monopoly because I've no doubt that they'll abuse their position like any other business would - so I'm glad there's Dunnes, SQ etc to compete to an extent.

Can't comment about your quoted part, there's probably more to it than I really want to spend time caring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

beertons wrote: »
    bad news for the traffic on the monread road. its already a nightmare in the mornings and evenings.

Its gonna be a nightmare ! At least I'll be able to cross the road with all the traffic stopped !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaranamo

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I thought i read that there will be +200 jobs.

I should point out that I'm working there. Damn glad I have the job too. If there is a negative knock-on effect on local retail then I don't think Tesco should get all the blame. That shold be saved for local councillors and planners.

It just got mentioned on the News at One.

Advertisement