Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 24: Chilli!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

noworries wrote: »
    2 disastrous attempts at porridge
    Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I have never been able to get porridge to come out right from a slow cooker. I've tried all of the recipes Alton Brown ran through, I've tried rolled oats and pinhead oats, I've tried water, milk, everything - it never works as well as throwing a half-cup of rolled oats into two cups of water at a rolling boil and stirring continuously for five to six minutes. I should get better results from the slow cooker, but it just doesn't seem to want to work (and I've tried it in two different slow cookers so far).
    Sweet sufferin' lantern hour of jebus - but this is the definitive, the benchmark against which all others will be measured to my dying day. Sparks, you Sir will be forever more be mentioned, nay, revered in the same manner as the great recipe introducers in this house.
    Aw, shucks :D
    Glad you liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Been meaning to get a good chilli recipe for a while now, and after reading this whole thread, I really want to make this! Will start gathering the stuff needed, but will be a week or two before I get to try it properly! Can't wait! :D

Finally got round to making this. I was making some for lunch tomorrow and during the week, but couldn't resist having a small bit when it was done, and all I can say is wow...

Sparks, this is absolutely amazing! Best that I've ever tasted!!!

Glad you liked it Damo!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ended up making it again last night also.
    Didn't have the star anise this time just the nam pla fish sauce, plus I added some finely diced capsicum. Everything else was pretty similar to the recipe though. Beef and bacon, the same wet ingredients, extra tomato, lima beans, and the spices were peri-peri, ground chili pepper, chili flakes and garlic (I think)

About to have it for lunch, and prob finish it off tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I am making this again cos everybody loves it. I have discovered I love fennel seeds so I add about 2 heaped tsps!
    Pic's to follow...!

• Advertisement

Did I mention that it makes for a plate of fairly kick-ass nachos?

218868.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks good, are they some new breed of nacho or did you just take no chances when cooking them?

They're blue corn nachos :D
    (Along with grated cheddar and mozzerella, jalapenos, jalapeno relish, guacamole, chipotle salsa and sour cream. All from jars or tubs or bags; it's a 5-minute meal to prep once you've made the chilli)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I've seen it done in a slow cooker to great effect (they go for €10-€20 in Tesco and Lidl and Argos). That's probably the easiest non-pressure-cooker, non-dutch-oven way. You can do it in a normal thin pot, but you have to watch the temperature a lot more closely so that you don't burn the chilli, and the liquid level to be sure it doesn't dry out.

In fact, if I had to do it without pressure cooker, slow cooker or heavy pot, I'd probably brown everything off in the frying pan as before, then put it all into a double-thickness foil pouch (just some tinfoil oragami, nothing custom-bought), seal it up tight, then put it into a cassarole dish or something similar (you really don't want to use a metal tin though) and bake it at a low temperature for a few hours - maybe 140C for 2-3 hours? I'm not sure how long it would take though, I've not done it this way before. I'd probably check at 2 hours and every hour or half-hour thereafter until I was happy with the doneness of the meat chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Time, mostly. After the initial browning, all the cooking in this dish is braising - long, low, moist cooking. Slow cookers excel at that, and there are whole ranges of chilli recipes for slow cookers as a result. For this on, just cut down the overall amount of stuff so it'll fit in the cooker you have, and ensure you have enough liquid so that the chilli is a bit more liquid and loose than in this recipe (but not much - you're still making chilli, not soup ... though if you do make chilli soup, it's great as a sauce/topping for hot dogs and things). There's not much in the way of the actual ingredients that you need to change really - just brown everything in a pan instead of in the pressure cooker, and once you hit the deglazing step, bring the deglazing liquid to a boil, put all the solids in the slow cooker and pour the hot deglazing liquid out of the pan over the solids (slowly!) and then put on the cover and set the slow cooker going. That should be all you need to do. Watch the liquid level though, and top up with water if you need to - it should never look drier than a thick stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maggieda

Tesco have some chipotle chilli in paprika sauce. Would this be comparable to the adobo sauce in any way?

maggieda wrote: »
    Tesco have some chipotle chilli in paprika sauce. Would this be comparable to the adobo sauce in any way?

....probably not, to be honest :(

Make batch of chilli as normal, take one even ladle and blitz in food processor for a few seconds and viola:

238144.jpg

Baby's first bowl of chilli (and he loved it) :)

Actually made this tonight myself, just after finishing a bowl. Savage stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sparks wrote: »
    Make batch of chilli as normal, take one even ladle and blitz in food processor for a few seconds and viola:

238144.jpg

Baby's first bowl of chilli (and he loved it) :)
    Can babies eat chilli?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can babies eat chilli?
    The tl;dr answer is yes.

But don't go mad - that's a tasty chilli, but it's no platemelter, there's very little fresh chilli in it and all the chillis are dried new mexico red and anchos, and some chipotles in adobo. And there was very little salt put into it.

And he's been eating curry in the creche for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The tl;dr answer is yes.

But don't go mad - that's a tasty chilli, but it's no platemelter, there's very little fresh chilli in it and all the chillis are dried new mexico red and anchos, and some chipotles in adobo. And there was very little salt put into it.

And he's been eating curry in the creche for weeks now.
    Fair enuffski. It was a genuine question though. I was always under the impression that super spicy food, or even highly seasoned food, was a no no with babies.

My first is on the way in a couple of months time so I'd be novice with that type of stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

DamoElDiablo made this again yesterday, my first time having it. It's delicious! Love the smell of the spices. Maybe we should have reduced the recipe for 2 people but naaaah :p had burritos tonight!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fair enuffski. It was a genuine question though. I was always under the impression that super spicy food, or even highly seasoned food, was a no no with babies.
    My first is on the way in a couple of months time so I'd be novice with that type of stuff. :)
    I remember those days (all of ten months ago :D ). Go easy for the first while - ours has only been on solids for three or four months now - but so long as you don't try feeding them a vindaloo on day one, babies can cope with surprising foods. Look up annabel karmel's books - half the recipes in there are just what we'd cook for dinner ourselves (perhaps with a bit less salt - the salt you really can't give them, it'd cause their kidneys some problems), just in smaller portions and puree'd. It's a long way from when I was his age - the muck we ate back then was appalling...

BTW, if you're still a few months out, this, this and especially this may be useful (to everyone else, sorry, they're not chilli-related :D ). Good luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So I moved from Paris to NYC a few months back and when exploring our neighborhood I came a cross South Bar, a small, cosy joint run by a couple from Austin. They mentioned that each year they run a chili cook-of and that if I was interested I should enter.
    Right away I thought of Spark's recipe. I've made it twice before and along with most stew-like dishes that involve meat and 2 days to prepare I consider myself pretty good at it. But because I'm so new to the country I thought that I'd give it a miss this year. Even if the recipe is great I felt that IO couldn't just waltz into the US and starting showing them how to cook their own food.

So fast-forward to this afternoon where the wife and I head down to the bar. It's stopped snowing but there's still 10 inches on the paths less trodden. We turn up to find a full bar and 27 entries. After the judging we all got to sample, along with some good cornbread and an ample supply of beer.

Between the 2 of us we managed to get to taste 8 of the entries but due to some sneaky timing I was in line when the results were called and got to taste the top 3 winners. Though when I tasted the winner I suddenly regretted my decision not to enter. I had a little more just to be sure but there was no mistaking that it tasted like fried beef mince with a Knor Gravy mix and some interesting blend of chilies. 2nd place was much darker with a sticky sauce as though someone had added BBQ sauce. This was more of a stew as they either used no mince or the meat hadn't cooked long enough to break down. 3rd place tasted 'okay' but used 3 different types of beans (Ugh!)

We got chatting to an old guy who asked us what we thought and we told him what we thought. He nodded and asked if we had tasted #3 so we looked at our bowls and said no. He headed off and came back a couple of minutes later with the most wonderful chili ever. It looked exactly like Sparks's version and had the same chilies and other bits like the addition of star anise, use of the right flour and pretty much the same ingredients in the spice mix. He didn't of course give me the full recipe but it was pretty close. I could tell from the texture that he had used a mix of stewing and minced beef as well as some pork.

Still though, it wasn't exactly as how I had remembered Spark's version. I think he may have used beer instead of water but it doesn't really matter because next year I'm going to make Sparks's version and enter it in as many Chili Cook-offs as I can find. Though if the judges in South are anything to go by I won't be winning much but at least I'll be content with the knowledge that I'll be spreading good chili to Brooklyn :)

Though now it's time to get working on a winner Lasagna recipe for the March cook-off !

Feck, I didn't realise the standard for cook-offs was that awful (BBQ sauce... in chilli? Ugh...), if I had, I'd have been looking for one! Definitely enter next time Ponster!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Feck, I didn't realise the standard for cook-offs was that awful (BBQ sauce... in chilli? Ugh...), if I had, I'd have been looking for one! Definitely enter next time Ponster!

Ah here, this is Brooklyn (South Slope?), not Texas. Give them a chance :D

Might send the father in law along to see how he does against Ponster :D

emaleth wrote: »
    Ah here, this is Brooklyn (South Slope?), not Texas. Give them a chance :D

Might send the father in law along to see how he does against Ponster :D

Yep, South Slope though the owner is from Texas. I'm looking forward to the challenge !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was going to ask Sparks a q about the recipe, but seeing as he's closed his account, there's not much point.

Anyway, made this last night, very different to my standard chilli recipe, more smokey and not so spicy. Didn't get a chance to have more than a spoonful yet as it took more than three hours to cook with no pressure cooker. The meat's falling apart though, and I await tonight's dinner with bated stomach!

About the chipotle in adobo thing, I found a Chipotle Tabasco in Tesco and it seems to have done the trick.

What! Ah jaysus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

April 1st..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Right, well we had the chili for dinner. Good stuff, just not good enough to be worth making again compared to my usual recipe in terms of cost and speed. Besides, I prefer mince only.

• Advertisement

I make the BBC one when I get home from work and feel like some chilli. I make Sparks recipe when I have friends around that I want to impress and have a couple of days to prepare :)

Advertisement