Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I know I need a dog licence, but why ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I can confirm it for Germany too. it depands in which county u are living. Can be really expensive. For ex. in Dortmund it is around 125 Euro for the first dog and a not "restricted dog" (they will be taxed really high). The second one will be around 200 Euro extra!!!:eek:
    And you will "controlled" often. Your Dog has to wear the "Tax Tag" on his/her collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Unlicensed / Licensed dogs wandering the streets are the bain of my life. I walk with a buggy and large dog and these feckers can only do what's natural to them bark and scare the life out of me - not their fault they are dogs.

ts the owners I have a big problem with. If you make this point to the dog owner you will be told - sure she is harmless / wouldn't hurt a fly - not much use when you are wrestling with two large dogs and a buggy at a main road.

I think the whole point of licenses is accountability. If you have a licence - you are accountable. If you don't and your dog is a pain in the butt it should be taken off you - you can complain but at least your neighbours will have the satisfaction of knowing you will get a fine. I thing the issue of a licence only creeps in if something goes wrong - ie child is bitten or motorcyclist comes off bike by unlicensed dog but family owned pet allowed to wander. Claim he is not yours - You bet half the parents in the estate wont be long saying who owns it. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where I lived in Holland, Veldhoven, the dog tax money was collected by the local council (Gemeente). They had a number of dedicated dog walking routes and 'hondenuitlaatterreinen' or dog excercise areas which were regularly patrolled and cleaned up by the dog wardens using their beautifully named 'poepzuiger' or dog poo vacuum cleaner, which was paid for by the dog tax. Your dog had to have it's little tag to show you'd paid, and there were regular checks as well with hefty fines for non-compliance.

At least there you got the impression that your money at least went somewhere useful. BTW for 2009 the cost was €116.48 per dog (no, I don't know where they got that figure from either).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Peppa

€7.50 of the €12.70 goes to the Post Office if you purchase from a Post Office. Confirmed last night by the dog warden for DCC.

Therefore over half goes to an non-animal related organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

are black & white licenses cheaper:):D

But my dogs are brown and white:(

Guess i'll have to buy a colour one:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Waterfall1975

Hold the phone!

I have to renew my licence!? :eek: - I thought it was a one off! :confused:

If I knew that I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Now the feckers'll be hounding me when a new one's due. :mad:

And, half the dosh is going to the f'in post office. It's a f'in tax on 'humanity'! :mad:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the UK got rid of the dog licence years ago,but i can never understand that in ireland you have to have a dog licence if you live there ,but as a visitor bringing my dog over ,i dont need one

Advertisement