Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A hard earned win tonight but a good one all the same against the Auld enemy. 3rd year in a row now for Cork to beat Kerry in the Munster Under 21 championship. A big crowd in Pairc Ui Rinn according to the radio. Well done to TJ Brosnan a player from my locality who played the full game half back. Limerick up next for Cork in the semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Ft Cork 0-14 v Kerry 2-7

Great win for Cork. Kerry got 2 softish goals - bad defending - to keep them in it in the first half. Kerry had alot of possession, especially in the last 15 mins - Corks midfield disappeared - and they were well on top - but we got over the line with an injury time point from Seán Kiely :D

A great win but the score line flattered them,only for the goals the game was over at half time.
    Kerry only got one point in the first half.
    I have said here that the talent with corks forwards is endless.Tonight proves that.A lot of good forwards are coming up through the ranks.Hurley was superb,3 from play,Maceoin was good and sum of hes frees were top class.He was unlucky not to have a goal in the first half.
    John o Rourke was the modern day forward as in terms he tracked back and always defended well.He has a great engine.
    Cadogan didnt score but always won dirty ball and was involved in a lot of the attacks.
    He will have days where he will score.
    All these forwards are all big strong men,well able to win their own ball.Their young,they will get better.
    Alan cronin was exposed at times at corner back but he got a nice point.Hes very attack minded.I said in the Kerry thread during the weak,Corks full back line was weak.It was worse than i thought.O driscoll and Cronin,Dorman are fine footballers but there too loose as a unit.
    Cahalane has to drop back to full back from midfield and stay there.He is more commanding and a leader.Cork have enough big men in the half forward line that can drop back and help midfield if needed.
    Limerick next at the Gaelic Grounds i presume,Cork will win ,but Tipperary will beat them unless the full back line is changed.Tyrone if we were to meet them would destroy that full back line.Dublin being knocked out last week has really opened up the Championship.
    TJ brosan was exposed at times.Kevin Crowley on the bench is a super talent.Many feel he is too young,but kerry brought on a lad that was playing schools football this year and he was superb in the middle.Himself and Walsh cleaned up.
    If your good enough youre old enough.
    A sweet win,the best way to beat Kerry is by a point.Tonight was a huge win,in the context of Cork and also in denying Kerry any ray of hope in terms of young blood.Darragh O Se has had a hand in many kerry wins over Cork,it is great to get one over him tonight as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Treble20 wrote: »
    A hard earned win tonight but a good one all the same against the Auld enemy. 3rd year in a row now for Cork to beat Kerry in the Munster Under 21 championship. A big crowd in Pairc Ui Rinn according to the radio. Well done to TJ Brosnan a player from my locality who played the full game centre back. Limerick up next for Cork in the semi final.

Brosnan was half-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Remember lads, John Cleary is ironcast for the senior job when Counihan goes... :eek:

A hard earned win tonight but a good one all the same against the Auld enemy. 3rd year in a row now for Cork to beat Kerry in the Munster Under 21 championship. A big crowd in Pairc Ui Rinn according to the radio. Well done to TJ Brosnan a player from my locality who played the full game centre back. Limerick up next for Cork in the semi final.
    Vaughan made a big difference when he came on also.
    Whats your views on Crowley?Do you think he should start.
    John cleary has sum record over Kerry.Cork now are just two munster titles from catching Kerry.
    All the same the differences a good manager can make.When you look at this management team compared to the U21 hurling management,theres a world of difference.Cleary and his selectors get every inch from the teams and win tight games time after time.

• Advertisement

Vaughan made a big difference when he came on also.
    Whats your views on Crowley?Do you think he should start.
    John cleary has sum record over Kerry.Cork now are just two munster titles from catching Kerry.
    All the same the differences a good manager can make.When you look at this management team compared to the U21 hurling management,theres a world of difference.Cleary and his selectors get every inch from the teams and win tight games time after time.
    I only heard the last few minutes of the game on the radio,my brother was at the game,he was keeping me informed to proceedings while I was finishing off a day's work. Was TJ exposed a bit at times? Vaughan is a fine player and will push for a starting place on the team the next day. Crowley a decent player too,another player that the selectors will find hard not to start at some stage in this championship.

John Cleary doing a great job with the Under 21's and as you say he gets the best out of his players.

I only heard the last few minutes of the game on the radio,my brother was at the game,he was keeping me informed to proceedings while I was finishing off a day's work. Was TJ exposed a bit at times? Vaughan is a fine player and will push for a starting place on the team the next day. Crowley a decent player too,another player that the selectors will find hard not to start at some stage in this championship.

John Cleary doing a great job with the Under 21's and as you say he gets the best out of his players.
    I did not think brosnan was great now.
    I feel Crowley would be better.He is sum talent.
    Cleary has the ability to get hes teams to win tight matches.Last year in tralee and tonight they won games Cork would normally loose to Kerry.The players dont panic, they remain composed in close games.They always believe they will do enough against Kerry.
    You couldnt say the same with the Senior team and CC,most times they play kerry they panic and loose games they should of won.
    Tippeareary will test Cork should they meet in the final.David Power their manager is only around the 30 or so mark,a modern day manager.He done superbly with the minors.He brought in the Dublin ladies manager that won the all ireland as part of the set up.He was wise enough to have a fresh voice with him.
    Kerry are fairly sick id say tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I did not think brosnan was great now.
    I feel Crowley would be better.He is sum talent.
    Cleary has the ability to get hes teams to win tight matches.Last year in tralee and tonight they won games Cork would normally loose to Kerry.The players dont panic, they remain composed in close games.They always believe they will do enough against Kerry.
    You couldnt say the same with the Senior team and CC,most times they play kerry they panic and loose games they should of won.
    Tippeareary will test Cork should they meet in the final.David Power their manager is only around the 30 or so mark,a modern day manager.He done superbly with the minors.He brought in the Dublin ladies manager that won the all ireland as part of the set up.He was wise enough to have a fresh voice with him.
    Kerry are fairly sick id say tonight.

Anytime that happens is a good time:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Anytime that happens is a good time:pac:

It was a beautiful day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Any day the animals are beaten is a great day!

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »

It was a beautiful day. :D
    It sure is.This will haunt them for another year.To beat them by a point is sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well done on the win lads, the 1 pointers are always sweet. Didn't get to see the match as hoped due to training. Glad to see we turned it around somewhat in the second half even if we came up short.

Next year sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

D'Agger wrote: »
    Well done on the win lads, the 1 pointers are always sweet. Didn't get to see the match as hoped due to training. Glad to see we turned it around somewhat in the second half even if we came up short.

Next year sure :)

Could have gone either way in fairness it was that close. Kerry have a decent team there.

Amprodude wrote: »

Could have gone either way in fairness it was that close. Kerry have a decent team there.
    Corks expierence was a big help,it is a expierenced team,with an expierenced management team.They never panicked and still went for the win when extra time seemed destined.
    Kerry have some good prospects,Cox,O Se, and walsh.The Murphy lad looks a serious player.kerry look like they will be served at midfield in the future.

Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds 27th semifinal.
    Munster Final 10th April (Tippereary or Clare).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Cork team to play Clare in the league on Saturday. Go home Pa Cronin, you're drunk:pac:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Brian Murphy 4. Conor O Sullivan
    Bishopstown Bride Rovers Sarsfields

5. Christopher Joyce 6. Patrick Cronin 7. William Egan
    Na Piarsaigh Bishopstown Kilbrin

8. Daniel Kearney 9. Lorcan Mc Loughlin
    Sarsfields Kanturk

10. Cian Mc Carthy 11. Paudie O'Sullivan 12. Seamus Harnedy
    Sarsfields Cloyne St. Itas

13. Stephen Moylan 14. Peter O Brien 15. Patrick Horgan
    Douglas Kildorrery Glen Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Football against Donegal on Saturday then...

1. Ken O Halloran
    Bishopstown

2. Michael Shields 3. Jamie O'Sullivan 4. Eoin Cadogan
    St. Finbarr's Bishopstown Douglas

5. Paudie Kissane 6. Noel O'Leary 7. Tomás Clancy
    Clyda Rovers Cill na Martra Fermoy

8. Graham Canty 9. Aidan Walsh
    Bantry Blues Kanturk

10. Fintan Goold 11. Donncha O'Connor 12. Mark Collins
    Macroom Ballydesmond Castlehaven

13. Barry O'Driscoll 14. Colm O'Neill 15. Paul Kerrigan
    Nemo Rangers Ballyclough Nemo Rangers

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Clare at 7pm on Saturday will line out as follows:
    1. Anthony Nash Kanturk
    2. Shane O'Neill Bishospstown
    3. Brian Murphy Bride Rovers
    4. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfields
    5. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
    6.Pa Cronin Bishopstown
    7. Willam Egan Kilbrin
    8. Lorchan Mcloughlin Kanturk
    9. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields
    10. Cian McCarthy Sarsfields
    11. Paudie O'Sullivan Cloyne
    12. Seamus Harnedy St Itas
    13. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    14. Peter O'Brien Kildorrey
    15. Patrick Horgan Glen Rovers
    Subs
      Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
      Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    Kilian Murphy Erins Own
      Mark Ellis Milstreet
    Stephen White Ballygarvan
      Michael Walsh Kildorrey
    Tom Kenny Grenagh
      Conor Lehane Midleton
    Luke O Farell Midleton
    Brian Hartnett Midleton
    Michael O Sullivan Tracton

Stephen Mcdonell injured.

The Cork Senior Football team to play Donegal at 5pm Saturday
    1. Ken O Halloran  Bishopstown
    2. Michael Shields St Finbarrs
    3. Jamie O Sullivan Bishopstown
    4. Eoin Cadogan Douglas
    5. Paudie Kissane Clyda Rovers
    6. Noel O Leary Cil Na Matra
    7. Tom Clancy Fermoy
    8. Graham Canty Bantry Blues
    9. Aidan Walsh Kanturk
    10. Fintan Goold Macroom
    11. Donnacha O Connor Ballydesmond
    12. Mark Collins Castlehaven
    13. Barry O'Driscoll Nemo Rangers
    14. Colm O Neill Ballyclough
    15. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers

Subs
    Andrew O Donoghue Agahda
    Eoin O Mahony Macroom
    John Mcloughlin Kanturk
    Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    Conor O'Driscoll Illen Rover's
    Jame's Fitzpatrick Carbery Ranger's
    Alan O Connor St Colums
    Brian Shanahan Carbery Ranger's
    Liam Shorten Ballingeary
    Daniel Goulding Eire Og

Looking forward to the double header Saturday evening in Pairc Ui Rinn. I'll be making the journey down to the city to meet up with some friends and hopefully see a double victory.

Both Cork and Donegal know a defeat here will realistically end 1 of their chances of reaching the semi finals so a tough battle will ensue here. Cork are on a high after their recent 2 wins up North against Ulster teams while Donegal will be buoyed up after their big win over Kerry last Sunday. A close game here IMO,hopefully Cork will continue their winning run.

Cork face a tough battle in the hurling against an up and coming Clare team. I had my doubts about this young Cork team coming into the league but they've done very well in their 1st 2 games destroying Tipperary in their 1st game and following it up with a draw against Waterford when been 8 points down at HT. Clare are an up and coming team with several members of the All Ireland winning Under 21 sides from 2009 and 2012 now on their team. Personally I think this Clare team will be a major threat in this year's Munster championship and I'm sure Davy will have them well motivated to beat Cork! Cork have shown tough physical and mental toughness in their first 2 league games and they will need to show the same characteristics again to try and beat the banner.

2 great games in store and with entry fee been only 13 euros for adults and 10 euros for students/OAP'S with under 16's been free this event is great value for money so hopefully we'll see a big crowd Saturday evening,Corcaigh Abu.

• Advertisement

It has been a good week for Cork Gaa.
    An unexpected win in Omagh,a good result in Waterford,and a great victory over Kerry by a point.
    Chill insurance have had a good start to their term with Cork as sponsors.Lets hope it continues now Saturday and come April 10th Cork will have their first Munster title with them as sponsors.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork's best aerial ball winner in the half forward line is now centre back??? Interesting call

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork's best aerial ball winner in the half forward line is now centre back??? Interesting call

That's one way of putting it. Can't understand it. Is the Clare Cf a monster under the high ball or something because I can't understand it - especially given our severe lack of ball winning forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

maybe JBM is taking a leaf outta CC team announcements, and just change half the team an hour before kick off. Pa Cronin could start in the half forward line, and JBM is trying out his smoke & mirror routine

yeah its strange to say the least.Its robbing Peter to pay paul if you ask me.
    As u said he is Corks only consistent ball winner.He won't do there at all come championship.Cronin has many strengths,good under the high ball,and strong with ball in hand and well able to score from distance.Ideal for midfield or centre forward.
    But he lacks the speed of hurling,speed to cover ground,the ability to sweep up that a top level centre backs needs.He would be exposed against the likes of Hannon,Noel Mcgrath, Donnellan etc.Jbm first played him there in a challenge against Limerick a month ago.He was good but I wouldn't say he was anything special, he was marking Seamus Hickey,a back by nature playing centre forward.Last week ,Seamus Prendergast for Waterford got 3 points of him.
    And both games he played at centre back,it was wet heavy conditions.He will be exposed in dry conditions for he's lack of pace.It grand when he plays centre forward,he's job is to win and break ball .
    When he is centre back he will have to do so much more.I don't think he has ever played there for club even.
    Joyce is by far Cork's best option at Centre back .He needs expierence and to grow in to the role,he can only get that by playing there consistently.He has all the skills you would want in a Centre back.I don't think he is too young either.Galway played Joseph Cooney there against KK and he was excellent.
    Joyces confidence won't be any good when sees hes only half back and not trusted for the centre.
    The only intercounty centre forward i remember that made the swtich successfully from Centre Forward to Centre back was Ken Mcgrath for Waterford.Cronin doesnt have the same ability to read the game like Mcgrath.

That's one way of putting it. Can't understand it. Is the Clare Cf a monster under the high ball or something because I can't understand it - especially given our severe lack of ball winning forwards.
    The clare team hasnt been named yet but i would think their Cf be Tony Kelly or John Conlon may be moved out during the game.They both played well against Galway.Not execptionally huge men,but able to win ball.Both are very mobile and have loads of Hurling,but I coudnt see how Joyce or Egan would not be able to hold their own though and why Cronin would have to be moved out.If anything their pace and mobility I fear would trouble Cronin more than Joyce.The Clare lads are both young hurlers too .Kelly was minor 2 years ago I think .I agree with you,Cronin is needed in the Forwards.
    Colin ryan is half forward ,and he will take watching also.Clare will be very physical.They beat Cork already in the Waterford Crystal Cup,but Cork were missing half their team for the first half due to traffic delays in Limerick.

Looking forward to the double header Saturday evening in Pairc Ui Rinn. I'll be making the journey down to the city to meet up with some friends and hopefully see a double victory.

Both Cork and Donegal know a defeat here will realistically end 1 of their chances of reaching the semi finals so a tough battle will ensue here. Cork are on a high after their recent 2 wins up North against Ulster teams while Donegal will be buoyed up after their big win over Kerry last Sunday. A close game here IMO,hopefully Cork will continue their winning run.

Cork face a tough battle in the hurling against an up and coming Clare team. I had my doubts about this young Cork team coming into the league but they've done very well in their 1st 2 games destroying Tipperary in their 1st game and following it up with a draw against Waterford when been 8 points down at HT. Clare are an up and coming team with several members of the All Ireland winning Under 21 sides from 2009 and 2012 now on their team. Personally I think this Clare team will be a major threat in this year's Munster championship and I'm sure Davy will have them well motivated to beat Cork! Cork have shown tough physical and mental toughness in their first 2 league games and they will need to show the same characteristics again to try and beat the banner.

2 great games in store and with entry fee been only 13 euros for adults and 10 euros for students/OAP'S with under 16's been free this event is great value for money so hopefully we'll see a big crowd Saturday evening,Corcaigh Abu.
    Great value for 13 euro,I can't wait.
    They will both be very tough games and close .
    Donegal are flying down Saturday at 10 in the morning so they will be fresh and they are treating this game seriously.
    Corks Subs bench bar Goulding looks weak enough for the footballers.I hope the bad luck with injuries does not strike tomorrow night again.It could be a low scoring game,as long as Cork win it wont matter though.
    The subs bench for the hurlers in comparison looks very strong.That bench along with home advantage should get us over the line.Last weeks draw could be a huge turning point in the development of this team.Paudie Sullivan and Connor Lehane spoke this week of how the comeback last week will benfit the team for the Championship,that last week when their backs were to the ball they stood up.
    The fact this is the last home game of the league,with Galway and Kilkenny away,tomorrow night's game is a must win.Add in the fact there is a chance we could be meeting them in the June,its vital we get one over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is Mannix injured or what? Seeing as ye need a goalscoring forward its a bit strange not to have someone on the panel who scored 4 goals in 2 preseason games

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Great value for 13 euro,I can't wait.
    They will both be very tough games and close .
    Donegal are flying down Saturday at 10 in the morning so they will be fresh and they are treating this game seriously.
    Corks Subs bench bar Goulding looks weak enough for the footballers.I hope the bad luck with injuries does not strike tomorrow night again.It could be a low scoring game,as long as Cork win it wont matter though.
    The subs bench for the hurlers in comparison looks very strong.That bench along with home advantage should get us over the line.Last weeks draw could be a huge turning point in the development of this team.Paudie Sullivan and Connor Lehane spoke this week of how the comeback last week will benfit the team for the Championship,that last week when their backs were to the ball they stood up.
    The fact this is the last home game of the league,with Galway and Kilkenny away,tomorrow night's game is a must win.Add in the fact there is a chance we could be meeting them in the June,its vital we get one over them.

Will be an excellent night at headquarters

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Is Mannix injured or what? Seeing as ye need a goalscoring forward its a bit strange not to have someone on the panel who scored 4 goals in 2 preseason games
    You would presume he is,as to not even make the panel seems harsh,considering he done everything and more that was asked of him in the winter months.
    He played at the start of February the last time Cork played Clare in the Waterford Crystal Cup and got 2 goals,a game in which he only played one half of hurling.He was travelling with Stephen Moylan of Douglas ,and both were delayed due to an oil spill in Limerick.Some scoring all the same.
    I hope injury is the only reason he's not there as he deserves a chance.And like you said he is a goal threat.Id much rather see Mannix on the panel than Naughton if it came down to it.Naughton could well come on as a sub tonight and score 3 or 4 points as he usually does in the league,but in big games when you need him he lacks the aggression and wont mix it.He is no good in a battle or a dogfight,only good in open ,free flowing games.It is a shame Coughlan is injured,as he has every bit as skill as Naughton but way more agression and workrate.Naughton has so much talent but 7 years on the Cork panel he has failed to deliver in big games consistently when started.He is similar to Seamus Callan of Tipp.If he has not delivered in 7 years he hardly will now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement