Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

• 16-10-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Ladies and Gents

Unfortunately, we have had to lock the original thread. Over the past few weeks it has turned into a rumour mill. We cannot have this I'm afraid.

So here is Version 2.0. The rule of this thread is simple. If you're going to highlight a business as "closed" or "closing", you must back up the claim with sufficient evidence.

Unsubstantiated rumours will be deleted, and from now on will receive an infraction. I'm afraid we have to do this folks as rumours can be damaging to both employees and employers.

Thanks

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Do we even need this type of thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I would second that its a very negative thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

liammur wrote: »
    Do we even need this type of thread?
    golden8 wrote: »
    I would second that its a very negative thread.

I think it's better to keep all of these stories in one place, instead of having a new thread every few days about whichever business is closing. I'm not a fan of negative threads, but the size of the previous thread proved the demand was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

These closures need to be highlighted and not treated as if they aren't happening. Limerick is an economic blackspot and by far the worst affected city in Ireland. Our local representatives are twiddling their thumbs while this city goes down the toilet. If I recall the previous thread had over 100 different businesses mentioned in an 18 month period. That is absolutely shocking for the size of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

RonMexico wrote: »
    These closures need to be highlighted and not treated as if they aren't happening. Limerick is an economic blackspot and by far the worst affected run city in Ireland. Our local representatives are twiddling their thumbs while this city goes down the toilet. If I recall the previous thread had over 100 different businesses mentioned in an 18 month period. That is absolutely shocking for the size of Limerick.

I cant get over how much air time the city council are giving to the bus lanes. The bus lane debacle has been going on for several years now. There are more pressing issues at stake than where to put a bit of coloured tarmac with a bus painted on it...

• Advertisement

I cant get over how much air time the city council are giving to the bus lanes. The bus lane debacle has been going on for several years now. There are more pressing issues at stake than where to put a bit of coloured tarmac with a bus painted on it...

What do you expect from a bunch of unqualified morons? The various incarnations of Limerick City Council have utterly failed us for generations now, as have our TD's. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And that discussion is for a different thread. Let's try to keep this one on-topic.

Edit: I've deleted 2 more posts. If you want to bitch and moan about the Council/IDA/local Politicians, don't do so in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Not sure of its been mentioned yet, but just passes jack jones on bedford row and it's closed up with 2 lads inside taking all the rails apart.

source wrote: »
    Not sure of its been mentioned yet, but just passes jack jones on bedford row and it's closed up with 2 lads inside taking all the rails apart.

They had a closing-down sale going for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, still going strong in the Crescent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

source wrote: »

They had a closing-down sale going for a few weeks.

I've not been in town much, for the last while. One less place for men to shop in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Can someone put up a full list of closed businesses from the original thread to avoid duplication and add any that are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

I heard that Jack and Jones will be opening in Seduzca in William Street, owned by the same guy.

Can someone put up a full list of closed businesses from the original thread to avoid duplication and add any that are missing.

From what I can remember, someone put up a list of over 100 businesses that left the city centre, and they were only pulling from the first quarter of that thread. If someone has the time to compile the whole list I'll be very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Would you volunteer to be that "someone"?

I compiled the original list so here it is again:

01 Dunnes Sarsfield St
    02 Fergusons Pharmacy Thomas St
    03 Sasha William St
    04 Benneton Sarsfield St
    05 Falks Lighting Henry St
    06 Topshop Sarsfield St
    07 Dunnes O Connell St
    08 Empire Music O Connell St (soon to close)
    09 Budget Travel Sarsfield St
    10 Fuschia Queen Thomas St
    11 Early Learning Centre - Crusies St
    12 Next - Crusies St
    13 Barratts Shoes, Cruises St.
    14 Chartbusters Crescent SC
    15 Brulee
    16 Dorothy Perkins - Cruises St
    17 Evans - Cruises St
    18 Kielys
    19 Clancy electrical
    20 Sony store
    21 TRIL recruitment
    22 Heirlooms in the Crescent SC
    23 Spar Ballycummin Village
    24 Japan Cruises St
    25 Mr E Arthurs Quay
    26 Davern & Bell art gallery/shop Thomas Street
    27 Bakers Kitchen William Street
    28 Kranks Corner Thomas Street
    29 O' Brien's sandwich bar on William Street
    30 Fries With That - Chipper Cornmarket
    31 Dr Acupuncture and Herbs O' Connell Street
    32 Fergusons Chemist O' Connell Street
    33 Executive Travel Roches Street
    34 Internet cafe above Xtravision Thomas Street
    35 Baileys - Parnell Street
    36 Prémaman - Jetland SC
    37 Car Zone - Jetland SC
    38 Golden Disc - Jetland SC
    39 Dr.China - Jetland SC
    40 Sasha - Jetland SC
    41 O Briens Sandwiches - Parkway SC
    42 Pat Keoghs
    43 The Bank Bar - O'Connell St
    44 Harris Pub - Riverpoint
    45 Fifteen Restaurant - Riverpoint
    46 Cocoon - Thomas Street
    47 Nuvo - Parkway SC
    48 Limerick Independent
    49 Hallmark - Jetland
    50 Motorzone - Dock road
    51 Wheelers Grill - Groody Roundabout
    52 Lipstick - Crescent SC
    53 Newsagents - Crescent SC
    54 Gerry Haugh's Furniture
    55 Clancys - Parkway Roundabout
    56 Remix - Williamscourt Mall
    57 Cafe Aroma at junction of Roches/Catherine street
    58 O' Connell Grill - O' Connell Street
    59 Two Mile Inn Hotel
    60 Loaf - Roches St
    61 Roxy Music - Crescent SC
    62 Yellow Road Take Away - Edward Street
    63 The Centerpiece Restaurant - Crescent SC
    64 Food Outlet - Thomas street (beside health food shop)
    65 Yankee Candle Co.
    66 Nasirs - Mayorstone
    67 Topaz across from Woodies
    68 McGovern's Menswear - William. St.
    69 Quilty's Pub and Off-Licence - Thomondgate
    70 PJ's Plaice Chipper - Thomondgate
    71 Luigi Malones - O'Connell St.
    72 Bakers Underground
    73 Ryan's Menswear - Thomas Street
    74 Ballyneety Golf Club
    75 The Lobster Pot/New York Pizza
    76 Sequoia Lane - O'Connell St
    77 Du pareil au meme - Crescent SC
    78 Heiton Buckleys - Dock Road
    79 Foodfair - O'Connell Street
    80 The Vineyard off license - Mount Kenneth
    81 Eamon Grimes Off Licence - Upper William St.
    82 The Lodge Nightclub
    83 Birthdays - O'Connell Street
    84 JR Fashions - Thomas Street
    85 Suds launderette - Henry Street
    86 Heirlooms - Cruises Street
    87 Xtravision - Thomas Street
    88 Click - Crescent SC
    89 Irwin Bros Jewelers - Patrick Street
    90 Xtravision - Grove Island
    91 Little Feet - Grove Island
    92 The Golfexperiencestore - Henry Street
    93 Tony and Guy hairdressers
    94 Choice ladieswear - William Street
    95 Spurs - Crescent SC
    96 Goosers bar - Corbally
    97 Trinity Rooms
    98 Clohessys - Raheen
    99 Bitterend - Bedford Road
    100 O'Donnells Bar - Wickham Street
    101 M Sign - Mallow Street
    102 Golden Vale - Lansdowne
    103 EcoWarm
    104 Nevaeh - William Street
    105 Fine Food Fair Kiosk - O'Connell St
    106 Babyworld
    107 Eve's - Roches St.
    108 Golf shop - raheen
    109 City Diesel
    110 O'Connor Murphy Gubbins Auctioneers
    111 Siam Corner - Mallow Street
    112 Tilemarket - Tipp Rd.
    113 Arramount Furniture
    114 HSS Hire - Wickham Street
    115 Euro 2 - William Street
    116 United Drug - Clare Street
    117 Shades of Beauty - Foxes Bow
    118 P.W. McMahon O'Brien auctioneers
    119 HSI Business School
    120 Star Elm
    121 Slattery's - Ballycummin
    122 Jack and Jones - Bedford Row
    123 Knights Barbershop
    124 Blades Barbershops
    125 Slattery's - Father Russell Rd

EDIT: If you see any mistakes let me know and I'll edit the post. Also while some of these businesses have moved or reopened under different names etc the fact is that over 100+ businesses have closed in the past 18 months and this is totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Beany12

I compiled the original list so here it is again:

104 Nevaeh - William Street

EDIT: If you see any mistakes let me know and I'll edit the post. Also while some of these businesses have moved or reopened under different names etc the fact is that over 100+ businesses have closed in the past 18 months and this is totally unacceptable.

Number 104 on your list 'Nevaeh' are still open ,they have moved to Little Ellen street next to the Old Quarter pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

champion sports gone from superquinn shopping centre :(
    also josef jeans from the jetland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

God only knows what possessed Champion to even go near Castletroy in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I really wondered how they stayed open. And how that golf pro shop stays open is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Mc Love wrote: »
    I really wondered how they stayed open. And how that golf pro shop stays open is beyond me!

I'm astonished that the aquarium place is still open. Seriously, Castletroy SC is a retail graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

D'mother used to work in Dargan's there for years and she's told me of how the owners of the place really didn't give a fiddlers during the good times about developing the place once it opened, twas just a tax relief thing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm astonished that the aquarium place is still open. Seriously, Castletroy SC is a retail graveyard.

That is run by Kevin who used to be on Cecil Street in the city centre. Basically the cost of trying to run a much smaller and far less modern unit in the city centre is more than that of a larger better unit in a shopping centre outside the town.

He is a very decent bloke and I hope he and his business survives and thrives, otherwise he would just become another name on the long list of retailers who had to leave the city centre thanks to overly high rates and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

95 Spurs - Crescent SC - Now some italian
    99 Bitterend - Bedford Road Now foxy's
    71 Luigi Malones - O'Connell St. reopening as Marco Polo
    56 Remix - Williamscourt Mall Open in Arthurs Quay instead
    46 Cocoon - Thomas Street Open as 31 thomas street
    23 Spar Ballycummin Village Open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

God only knows what possessed Champion to even go near Castletroy in the first place!

Meteor is gone from there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Meteor is gone from there too!

Its been a while since I was there but cant believe that. It should be a lot better considering the cinema, mcdonalds and superquinn are there already

I know some of these businesses have moved. Most moved out of the city, which has just the same effect as closing altogether on the city and its reputation as a dying place to do business.

EDIT: Maybe for businesses that have moved I will indicate as such on the list. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is run by Kevin who used to be on Cecil Street in the city centre. Basically the cost of trying to run a much smaller and far less modern unit in the city centre is more than that of a larger better unit in a shopping centre outside the town.

He is a very decent bloke and I hope he and his business survives and thrives, otherwise he would just become another name on the long list of retailers who had to leave the city centre thanks to overly high rates and costs.

i can only second that, top notch guy, really knowledgeable about his fish, and if there's anythinng you're interested in that he doesnt have in stock, he'll go out of his way to accomodate you!

i was sickened when he moved out to castletroy but i have to admit his new place is stunning, and he has some fantastic looking tanks out there too! well worth a gander even if you're not into your fish! :)

I know some of these businesses have moved. Most moved out of the city, which has just the same effect as closing altogether on the city and its reputation as a dying place to do business.

EDIT: Maybe for businesses that have moved I will indicate as such on the list. What do you think?

Tags like (M) for "moved" or (C) for "closed" could work nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While the majority of the businesses in the list were in the city centre, around 40 of the businesses weren't. You have stuff listed from the out of town shopping centres, raheen, castletroy, corbally, etc. I think that this shows that its not just the city centre thats in trouble, its the whole of Limerick.

Also to as to highlydebaseds list
    12 Next - Crusies St - Unit taken over by River Island
    28 Kranks Corner Thomas Street - burger place (can't remember the name)
    42 Pat Keoghs - the petrol station is closed, but the BMW dealership reopened.
    44 Harris Pub - Riverpoint - Now Glasshouse restaurant?
    51 Wheelers Grill - Groody Roundabout - Now Supermacs
    62 Yellow Road Take Away - Edward Street - Reopened with a new name
    78 Heiton Buckleys - Dock Road - still open on the Ballysimon rd.
    103 Ecowarm - They had a half page ad in the limerick post for the last few weeks. I don't think they're closed.
    116 United Drug - Clare Street - they're downsizing not closing.

And you've clancys listed twice.

Advertisement