Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graham Norton

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

The boys were good, went home without their medals haha, red chair special coming on jan6th I think Graham said. Should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

yoppy wrote: »
    The boys were good, went home without their medals haha, red chair special coming on jan6th I think Graham said. Should be good.
    They pissed off Graham with their smartarse answers:
    'how will ye get back in the boat after all this.....'
    We'll just put the boat into the water and get into it like.
    He didn't have much time for them after that.
    Dissing Frank Skinner was also wrong.
    But then what do they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I must be the only person in Ireland who just doesn't get the love for those two. No idea why they warrant a guest spot on the show tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

mikeymouse wrote: »
    They pissed off Graham with their smartarse answers:
    'how will ye get back in the boat after all this.....'
    We'll just put the boat into the water and get into it like.
    He didn't have much time for them after that.
    Dissing Frank Skinner was also wrong.
    But then what do they care.

Yeah, I thought the Frank Skinner jibe was a tad much.

Poor Marion was totally lost throughout too. Though it seemed like she enjoyed little of the whole experience, even before they arrived to the sofa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Those two were annoying. A bit cringy also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rfrip wrote: »
    I must be the only person in Ireland who just doesn't get the love for those two. No idea why they warrant a guest spot on the show tbh

A lot of it comes from their post race interviews.
    Most sports people are media trained within an inch of their lives and offer very little in post event interviews.

These guys on the other had seem to just be brutality honest in their interviews.

In the clip of the post race interview on the show one basically said "my legs are killing me, I've had to wait 2 hours to pee in a cup, and I'm starving".

That went viral, and that's what got them on the show.

Its their honesty that seems to make them more interesting that many other sports people.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought the Frank Skinner jibe was a tad much.

Poor Marion was totally lost throughout too. Though it seemed like she enjoyed little of the whole experience, even before they arrived to the sofa.

I didn't hear exactly what they said to skinner, what was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

yoppy wrote: »
    I didn't hear exactly what they said to skinner, what was it?
    "Cool story, bro"

Just watched it this evening, and it was fairly cringey alright (I had been really looking forward to seeing it).

They were brilliant at the Olympics, you knew it was off-the-cuff stuff and the real deal. The said it as they saw it (or thought it), no filter applied. Now they have the look of trading on that, and I SO hope they don't go down that road.

They're in danger of becoming a novelty act and it would be such a shame if that happens.

Go back to what you're good at, lads - the rowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,000 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think the fame has gone to O'Don Bros heads they came across as arrogant arseholes imo

Graham sure loves the fan art for Michael and James :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Or they were incredibly nervous and tried to fit in and said everything without a filter which was accentuated when appearing on the New Year's eve special.

I mean bloody hell they're two young athletes that have been thrust into the media for being themselves having achieved international success.

I thought they did really well and fair play to Graham for giving them the opportunity.

I always enjoy McEvoy and Fassbender too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Or they were incredibly nervous and tried to fit in and said everything without a filter which was accentuated when appearing on the New Year's eve special.

I mean bloody hell they're two young athletes that have been thrust into the media for being themselves having achieved international success.

I thought they did really well and fair play to Graham for giving them the opportunity.

I always enjoy McEvoy and Fassbender too :)

That's why I said stick to what they're good at - the rowing.

Otherwise they'll have to go down the road of being media-trained, and that'll negate all the charm they had in the first place.

Either that, or keep re-hashing the charming bogger act, which will become unfunny very quickly (arguably already has).

I don't know what the answer is for them, but the GN show last night wasn't it.

Re Fassbender/McAvoy - is there a history there that I don't know about? (Haven't seen the GN show in quite a while) - there seemed to be some back story to all that fan-art stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's why I said stick to what they're good at - the rowing.

Otherwise they'll have to go down the road of being media-trained, and that'll negate all the charm they had in the first place.

Either that, or keep re-hashing the charming bogger act, which will become unfunny very quickly (arguably already has).

I don't know what the answer is for them, but the GN show last night wasn't it.

Re Fassbender/McAvoy - is there a history there that I don't know about? (Haven't seen the GN show in quite a while) - there seemed to be some back story to all that fan-art stuff?

Lots of nerdy girls make fan art of male pairings in nerdy entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Apart from the cool story bro comment, I taught they came across very well. Gary is a small bit more off the cuff than Paul, think he could run people up the wrong way, Paul seems quieter.

On the plus side, Fassavoy was entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Why were Fassbender and McAvoy on?

Fassbender and Cottiard promoting Assassin's Creed.
    McAvoy promiting Split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Was this the same show that was on last week? I did watch all the bits last week on YouTube

Well yeah, it was last week, as in today's Monday and it was on on Saturday (NYE). That was its first showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well yeah, it was last week, as in today's Monday and it was on on Saturday (NYE). That was its first showing.

Well thank you pedantic Pete.
    I must have seen a leaked show so... (a week before, or just on one of the English BBC I get over satellite showed it )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

just caught the lads' interview, I thought they did very well tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

deco nate wrote: »
    Well thank you pedantic Pete.
    I must have seen a leaked show so... (a week before, or just on one of the English BBC I get over satellite showed it )

Probably this preview;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

mansize wrote: »
    just caught the lads' interview, I thought they did very well tbf.

I agree. I thought they were fine.
    I don't think anyone took offence at the 'cool story bro' comment, and it was good humoured all around, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought they were charming and hilarious. The "**** away" comment was TV gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The one thing I would say about the "cool story bro" comment..it was an awfully dull story. Dunno why Graham even brought it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, it was a dull and pointless story, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FWIW, I didn't see anything wrong with the "Cool story, bro" comment, Norton lined Skinner up (like he does every week for the 'comedian' on the couch), Skinner told the prepepared story (same as every week), story was a dud (happens a lot of the weeks), GO'D pulled him up on it (this doesn't happen). They didn't go for the false sincerity and laughs these stories normally get. Bit of a risqué comment, but Skinner took it well, as he probably would have done himself in the situation.

They also left McAvoy hanging with an awkward pause too, which he also took well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What I don't like about the GN Show is that it seems to me that the same guests seems to crop up all the time. McAvoy was on recently enough with that tall singer from Wicklow (he sings Church can't remember his name). Skinner always seems to be on it. Jimmy Carr and that O'Dowd comedian. They are always there. I can understand the regularity of repeating the same guests in Ireland where the talent pool is so much smaller but for goodness sake the UK is a much bigger pool so as not to have the same people always on.

The O'Donovan brothers were simply embarrassing. It was their accents more than anything else. They were like a fish out of water on the show. Their talent is rowing. McAvoy asked them a question and I don't even know if they answered it or they just ignored him. They came across as rude country Paddy bumpkins.

In fairness to Norton, if he were not Irish there is no way they would have been on the show. Maybe it were best that they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

bobbyss wrote: »
    What I don't like about the GN Show is that it seems to me that the same guests seems to crop up all the time. McAvoy was on recently enough with that tall singer from Wicklow (he sings Church can't remember his name). Skinner always seems to be on it. Jimmy Carr and that O'Dowd comedian. They are always there. I can understand the regularity of repeating the same guests in Ireland where the talent pool is so much smaller but for goodness sake the UK is a much bigger pool so as not to have the same people always on.

The O'Donovan brothers were simply embarrassing. It was their accents more than anything else. They were like a fish out of water on the show. Their talent is rowing. McAvoy asked them a question and I don't even know if they answered it or they just ignored him. They came across as rude country Paddy bumpkins.

In fairness to Norton, if he were not Irish there is no way they would have been on the show. Maybe it were best that they didn't.

Sorry I don't agree with that.
    Audience loved them and they got on fine.
    Their accent is their accent.

I thought they were grand. Only people with anything negative to say about them is a few in this thread.

Skinner hasn't been on in 3 years and the people that are on are the ones with the bigger promotional budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seems tonight's episode is just about the red chair. Aka, a montage episode. Could be good. Could be bad. I'll give it a chance.

Advertisement