Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOPA- now with added ACTA

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/wikepedia-technology.html

Now an online RTE article. Interesting point about the MAD acronym. Not sure if I agree that the tech community can't live without the media powerhouses. Me thinks he is mixing up content creation with 'old tech' networks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ayjayirl wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/wikepedia-technology.html

Now an online RTE article. Interesting point about the MAD acronym. Not sure if I agree that the tech community can't live without the media powerhouses. Me thinks he is mixing up content creation with 'old tech' networks.

I don't think "new" media needs old to survive- the problem with SOPA and it's ilk is that they would just happen to provide the old powerhouses of content generation with nice, simple ways to shut down the newer ones. New media generates its own content, as well as the less savoury piracy of old- which most people, even those that pirate, admit is wrong, even if through cognitive dissonance they find a way to dismiss it.

However, in the world we are currently in old media DOES need new- it needs to be able to market virally through youtube, facebook et al. Films and albums can be destroyed or made in seconds from word of mouth or some meme (arrow to the knee made Skyrim what I would guess to be one of the most talked about games ever).

SOPA and the like would convert sites like youtube to simple channels to market for old media. What they're missing (and they're missing a lot) is this means Youtube would instantly lose all worth and people would move on- the only reason it's there now is because it was an exciting way for people to generate content and create their own individual online presence built around audio visual creativeness (or even through sharing music videos they like for example- I genuinely think music studios are being very silly in not letting it grow organically).

It was the indivudual freedom to expression and equality of all users that used to make Youtube a great thing. It's already a shadow of its former self since its googlisation.

Through engaging new media and shifting their models I really think old media could make a hell of a lot more money and provide content people want. A good example of this- how many Dido albums were sold because Eminem sampled her?

Now, imagine everyone who remixed in the world was free to use your music. How many people would come back to the original and enjoy it then?

TLDR: Old media needs to cop on and shift to the way the world is now, instead of trying to strangle it. The nets been spread too far now (see what I did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

However, in the world we are currently in old media DOES need new- it needs to be able to market virally through youtube, facebook et al. Films and albums can be destroyed or made in seconds from word of mouth or some meme (arrow to the knee made Skyrim what I would guess to be one of the most talked about games ever).
    I disagree about Skyrim, it would've been huge regardless, but would anyone have seen Snakes on a Plane if not for the internet meme before the release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 7nationsoldier

SOPA has come to ireland as an ministerial order.
    THIS. CANNOT. PASS.

http://stopsopaireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

March this Saturday starting at noon at the spire.

I've invited many of you on facebook but I suppose this is for everyone else.
    Anything to swell numbers will be good.

Remember ACTA cannot become law unless it passes the euro parliment.

Of the responses I've had to my emails (2 of 15) both have been negative towards ACTA. Phil Prendergast outwardly said she will vote against it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

DoC is this Saturday. I fear you wont get many people going from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Run DoC short to oppose ACTA? :pac:

I mean, it would affect Doom's uploading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dundle

Ireland signed ACTA yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Advertisement