Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

website for ordering glasses (specs) @massive discount

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

check out www.eyesave.ie online glasses supplier
    i just bought a pair of varifocals for €75! irish company in Cork. you need to get your eyes tested by an optician first, or get a copy of your previous test and just enter the details on their website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

www.zennioptical.com

I got a perfect pair of glasses for €11.50 there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

175 is very expensive op.
    I would recommend goggles4u.com

I have not used them in a while but from my own experience and boardsies too I would recommend them.
    They do every type of lens and all the extras.

Thats a great price too phasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

For the past 3 years I have used all of the following and have found quality,service,delivery excellent and have no complaints so far.
    www.globaleyeglasses.com
    www.goggles4u.co.uk
    I have an extremely high perscription -10 & -9, which means that I have to get high index lenses to avoid the bottle bottom look!!
    Before I found these guys I would normally pay €300/400 to Irish bricks & mortar stores for 1 pair of glasses, due to the lenses
    On average I now pay aprox €50 per pair including shipping.
    Thanks to these guys I now have 8 pairs of glasses on the go for less than the price of two here.
    I have also included a link for a blog in the US which reviews suppliers, I found it really helpful when I first started looking.
    http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pharmer

typo error should read 75 eur (changed above). although normally 80 had a promo code

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

eddieham wrote: »
    For the past 3 years I have used all of the following and have found quality,service,delivery excellent and have no complaints so far.
    www.globaleyeglasses.com
    www.goggles4u.co.uk
    I have an extremely high perscription -10 & -9, which means that I have to get high index lenses to avoid the bottle bottom look!!
    Before I found these guys I would normally pay €300/400 to Irish bricks & mortar stores for 1 pair of glasses, due to the lenses
    On average I now pay aprox €50 per pair including shipping.
    Thanks to these guys I now have 8 pairs of glasses on the go for less than the price of two here.
    I have also included a link for a blog in the US which reviews suppliers, I found it really helpful when I first started looking.
    oh lord,i went to the blog and read his 'why i do it?' section -

i am never gonna do walk in glasses shop again....

p/s:i am looking for buying contact lens online now,any tips would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

eddieham wrote: »
    www.goggles4u.co.uk

goggles4u have glass lenses which are very thin. Quite a bit thinner than the high index plastic lenses.
    They do require a bit more care than plastic, but they don't scratch like the plastic ones do.

Another thumbs up for goggles4u !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Can i just ask did any of you have a difficulty getting just an eye test and your prescription. i see goggles require very specific information that in not on the prescrition card i received from my last visit to specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

racso1975 wrote: »
    Can i just ask did any of you have a difficulty getting just an eye test and your prescription. i see goggles require very specific information that in not on the prescrition card i received from my last visit to specsavers

I use Grants in Temple Bar - have done for years - great little opticians, but as expensive as any other non-chain shop. I was straight up with them and asked for my prescription because I wanted to buy cheap specs online. They gave me everything except the PD figure, which I forgot to ask for (but was handy enough to measure at home). No difficulty at all.

The goggles4u specs are great value for the money, but don't expect the same level of frame quality as you'll get with pricey specs. I've also noticed that there's more noticable chromatic aberration on one pair of three glasses I got - but that might be down to the lens material or shape - the other two seem fine. Great that you can get glass lenses for some frames too - it's getting hard to get glass in 'regular' opticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

seraphimvc wrote: »
    oh lord,i went to the blog and read his 'why i do it?' section -

i am never gonna do walk in glasses shop again....

p/s:i am looking for buying contact lens online now,any tips would be appreciated!

I use:

http://lensbase.ie/

Dutch Company I think, no prescription needed, just the details.

This is another crowd, advertising on Pigsback at the moment:

http://www.lenson.com/ie/index.php

Haven't used them and seem a little more expensive but I didn't go into too much detail. No prescription needed either.

Advertisement