Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

About to repeat myself here but Neil Young and Crazy Horse can play excellent gigs outdoors too. They were excellent in Hyde Park in 09. I'm open to correction but I think that was the tour where they played the O2 here. That's one of the reasons I was so surprised by the poor RDS show. I agree they are better suited to indoors though. I've heard Like a Hurricane played live by them twice. I knew by the set lists it was a long shot for the RDS but for me there is nothing else in live music that comes close. What an experience!! I can only hope I might get to hear it again.But who knows. Of course one persons Like a Hurricane is anothers Cortez the Killer or Powderfinger etc. So many to choose from and he can't play them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

This is his first tour with Crazy Horse since 03,that gig in 09 was amazing though,one of the best ive ever been to.....its fair enough if you just didn't enjoy the gig,not having a go at anyone for that,but it is incredible people could go to Neil and Crazy Horse and moan about feedback and self indulgence....I mean Jesus,imagine people went to Slane and complained about Bon Jovi playing too much cheesy hair rock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

(He didn't have the Horse with him in 09)
    I didn't particularly enjoy the gig on Saturday but there's been some interesting opinions stated here which have caused me to think again.
    When you look at the setlist, it is indeed impressive looking on paper.
    So what went wrong?
    If you took that show and put it in the O2 (with screens) and took away the 10-15min feedback jam at the end of 'Walk Like A Giant' I think everyone would be raving about what a classic show it was.
    The $hit venue, poor sound, poor weather and lack of screens were the real negatives on the night (contributing to a pi$$ed off crowd) moreso than the band.
    I saw him last time in the O2 and thought he was fantastic, I knew it was going to be a very different show with the Horse.

CPL 593H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Wouldn't bet on it,this is a man who not long after "Heart Of Gold" and the "Harvest" album made him a huge star went out and toured his new album he hadn't even released yet,playing the entire thing,sometimes twice in one night,for better or worse he couldn't give a toss about audience expectations(which is how I like my Neil)

Plays the then unknown Tonight's the Night in its entirety, to the audience's bemusement. Leaves stage.

Comes back and tells the audience now he's gonna play some songs they've heard before, to resounding cheers........and plays the whole of Tonight's The Night again. :D

Gotta love the man.

Plays the then unknown Tonight's the Night in its entirety, to the audience's bemusement. Leaves stage.

Comes back and tells the audience now he's gonna play some songs they've heard before, to resounding cheers........and plays the whole of Tonight's The Night again. :D

Gotta love the man.

That's my fave Neil story....."you should play them something they know Neil"...."hmmm,good idea"

I know not everyone is an obsessive music fan but I cant understand how people can go to such trouble and expense to see someone they clearly don't know very much about bar 2 or 3 ancient songs,its not like its a secret how Neil is,and certainly not how he is with the Horse,its what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Gotta love the man.

I love that story. For anyone thats interested, here's a really good documentary on Neil. Well worth an hour of your time:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v18762427aatR8fdb?h1=Neil+Young+-+Don%27t+Be+Denied

PropJoe and TableTopJoe.....we just need a Lookout Joe here.

Top 3 Neil songs, out of interest? While we're here, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The pre Leinster rugby rds was an amazing venue, those metallica shows where the stage was at the side (not the end) were great, I've been back since and it,was sh1t

Didn't go to NY but been to a few in the new set up and quite a few in the old set up. The old set up was far and away better, for views, sound, atmosphere.

Hmmm......Jesus

1.Like A Hurricane
    2.Powerderfinger
    3.Cortez The Killer

I love the "Comes A Time" album but im really an electric Neil fan,give me 20 minute "self indulgence" over 3 or 4 acoustic numbers anyday,i was very tempted to go to this broke as I am but the venue turned me off,breaks my heart to see so many moaning about it,id have loved it

Hmmm......Jesus

1.Like A Hurricane
    2.Powerderfinger
    3.Cortez The Killer

I love the "Comes A Time" album but im really an electric Neil fan,give me 20 minute "self indulgence" over 3 or 4 acoustic numbers anyday,i was very tempted to go to this broke as I am but the venue turned me off,breaks my heart to see so many moaning about it,id have loved it

Me too.

I'd go
    The Bridge
    Albuquerque
    Ambulance Blues

Honourary mention for Evening Coconut, which I firmly believe could've been a number 1 if they'd recorded it properly and done a Beach Boys-Kokomo style video to go along with it.

Silly question really though, on another day the live version of Sample and Hold from the 1982 Trans tour is my favourite Neil song.

Come a Time is such a nice album, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

PropJoe and TableTopJoe.....we just need a Lookout Joe here.

Top 3 Neil songs, out of interest? While we're here, like.

That'd change from day to day at the moment to be honest, on a massive Neil Young kick. From the new album, I'm really enjoying Ramada Hotel and the title track, Walk Like A Giant is fantastic too. Dont think I could pick a top 3 from his catalogue, its nearly impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

1.Motion pictures
    2.Mellow My Mind
    3.Cortez the Killer
    Mind was blown when he dusted Cortez off for the encore Saturday night. Suppose i was one of the lucky ones who got to hear one of my faves.

Me too.

I'd go
    The Bridge
    Albuquerque
    Ambulance Blues

Honourary mention for Evening Coconut, which I firmly believe could've been a number 1 if they'd recorded it properly and done a Beach Boys-Kokomo style video to go along with it.

Silly question really though, on another day the live version of Sample and Hold from the 1982 Trans tour is my favourite Neil song.

Come a Time is such a nice album, btw.

Some real connoisseur choices there,"On The Beach" is in my top 5 despite being more acoustic Neil,brilliant album....apart from the Unplugged "Transformer Man" I don't need to hear any stuff from that era again though!

Mouzone wrote: »
    1.Motion pictures
    2.Mellow My Mind
    3.Cortez the Killer
    Mind was blown when he dusted Cortez off for the encore Saturday night. Suppose i was one of the lucky ones who got to hear one of my faves.

I was dying for Cortez both times I saw him,saw many favourites but that would have been amazing

Mouzone wrote: »
    1.Motion pictures
    2.Mellow My Mind
    3.Cortez the Killer

I'd struggle to argue with that top 3 also. When his voice cracks on Mellow My Mind is just spine-tingling. Especially if you're sitting alone nursing a glass of something strong late at night :D
    Some real connoisseur choices there,"On The Beach" is in my top 5 despite being more acoustic Neil,brilliant album....apart from the Unplugged "Transformer Man" I don't need to hear any stuff from that era again though!

Some dodgy stuff alright. :) In terms of connoisseur choices, the songs could've been just as popular as the stuff on Harvest if he'd done glossier recordings or actually even bothered to release them in the first place :). The Bridge is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. If he'd given it to Carole King or someone it'd have been a hit, like the way he just gave Lotta Love to Nicolette Larson and it became a top 10 hit (!). "That's a real nice song", she told him. He replied that if she liked it, it was hers.

(This thread has given me a bigger Neil buzz than going on Saturday ever would have done)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I stand corrected re 09. Must be my advancing years... Great gig though. Except for that gate crasher Paul Mc Cartney! I saw his first ever Irish concert in 87 in the RDS (indoors). That was with Crazy Horse. At least I think it was! Just a year after I left school. Incredible stuff. Love so much of his work so hard to choose. Not Trans or the Shocking Pinks albums though! Time Fades Away is a fantastic album with virtually every track a winner. Includes the Bridge as chosen in an earlier top three. It was the first Young record I bought but it's no longer available. I read somewhere he's not proud of it. Who knows with Mr. Young. Live though I really love the electric Live Rust type stuff so:

1. Like a Hurricane

2. My My Hey Hey into the Black

3. Cinnamon Girl fights it out with Rockin in the Free World!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I was dying for Cortez both times I saw him,saw many favourites but that would have been amazing

It was, the three of them playing together as the rain blew over their heads caught beautifully in the lights is a sight that I'll treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Really...Jesus

But in fairness it really shouldn't come as a surprise to people going to Neil and The Horse that they would be playing 20 minute songs and endless solos.....THIS IS WHAT THEY DO AND HAVE DONE FOR OVER 40 YEARS

This wasn't a 'surprise' as you put it. The venue, sound and view of stage were what made the gig crap. Have you really been reading any comments at all? Most of us know only too well what NY & CH have been doing throughout their career together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Really...Jesus

furiousox wrote: »
    (He didn't have the Horse with him in 09)
    I didn't particularly enjoy the gig on Saturday but there's been some interesting opinions stated here which have caused me to think again.
    When you look at the setlist, it is indeed impressive looking on paper.
    So what went wrong?
    If you took that show and put it in the O2 (with screens) and took away the 10-15min feedback jam at the end of 'Walk Like A Giant' I think everyone would be raving about what a classic show it was.
    The $hit venue, poor sound, poor weather and lack of screens were the real negatives on the night (contributing to a pi$$ed off crowd) moreso than the band.
    I saw him last time in the O2 and thought he was fantastic, I knew it was going to be a very different show with the Horse.

Finally someone gets it. Well done sir. My sentiment to a t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Sample and Hold, what a tune!

Imagine how pissed off people were when he toured Trans with Crazy Horse!!! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Jaysus, this thread is in danger of getting as repetitive and self-indulgent as the gig seems to have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yeah, a lot of people have left already.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Pains me to say it because I love the man and rate him almost as highly as Dylan but this was possibly the worst gig I've ever been to.

He lost me when he played noise and feedback for 8 mins at the end of one of the tunes. Sound was awful. Show was awful. Set list was awful (yes, yes, I know it was a crazy horse show).

I don't care what anyone says, you expect punters to pay €76 a pop then you could at least give them some value for money. It was like he didn't give a f*ck. The atmosphere was damp and squib and a lot of people around me were pissed off.

Completely different act but went to see Springsteen there last year and, even though I'm not the biggest Bruce fan, by god he put on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Keyzer wrote: »
    Pains me to say it because I love the man and rate him almost as highly as Dylan but this was possibly the worst gig I've ever been to.

He lost me when he played noise and feedback for 8 mins at the end of one of the tunes. Sound was awful. Show was awful. Set list was awful (yes, yes, I know it was a crazy horse show).

I don't care what anyone says, you expect punters to pay €76 a pop then you could at least give them some value for money. It was like he didn't give a f*ck. The atmosphere was damp and squib and a lot of people around me were pissed off.

Completely different act but went to see Springsteen there last year and, even though I'm not the biggest Bruce fan, by god he put on a show.

So 8 minutes of feedback from a 2 hours and 20minute set ruined it for you, right....if you want to see a a show go see robbie Williams or sprinsteen, if you want rock and roll ny and crazy horse. The choice is yours!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love how everyone who thinks the Neil Young performance was bad gets advised to go listen to After the Gold Rush or go out and see Robbie Williams.

It's insulting in the extreme. Some people need to accept that it is possible for Neil Young to give a bad performance, which he did judging by some of the reviews on here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Last Saturday was my 9th Neil Young gig and although I enjoyed it, the other 8 were better.

The show with Crazy Horse in the Point in 2001 remains the best, check out the setlist and in particular the 5 song combination knockout at the end...
      1. Don't Cry No Tears
      2. I've Been Waiting for You
      3. Love and Only Love
      4. Piece of Crap
      5. Goin' Home
      6. When I Hold You in My Arms
      7. From Hank to Hendrix
      8. Don't Let It Bring You Down
      9. Pocahontas
      10. After the Gold Rush
      11. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
      12. Standing In the Light of Love
      13. Gateway of Love
      14. Rockin' in the Free World
      15. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
      16. Like a Hurricane
      17. Cinnamon Girl
      18. ****in' Up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I was at that gig in 2001, one of the best I've ever seen by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

adrian522 wrote: »
      I love how everyone who thinks the Neil Young performance was bad gets advised to go listen to After the Gold Rush or go out and see Robbie Williams.

It's insulting in the extreme. Some people need to accept that it is possible for Neil Young to give a bad performance, which he did judging by some of the reviews on here and elsewhere.

Were you at the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Catmologen wrote: »
      So 8 minutes of feedback from a 2 hours and 20minute set ruined it for you, right....if you want to see a a show go see robbie Williams or sprinsteen, if you want rock and roll ny and crazy horse. The choice is yours!

But it wasnt just the 8 minutes of feedback in the 13 song setlist that ruined it for him. He also said... Show was awful. Set list was awful (yes, yes, I know it was a crazy horse show). And we have all read the complaints about the volume for those in the stands, stage constructed with black sheeting that was blowing in the wind and (incredibly) no big screens.

I wasnt at Neil Young but I have been to Neil Young and Crazy Horse before indoors and enjoyed the gig but wouldnt put it on the same planet as a Bruce Springsteen gig. I also have many albums from both artists and would rate both quite close on albums. But, for me anyway, when I had the choice of Bruce in Wembley, Neil Young & Crazy Horse in the RDS, Bon Jovi in Slane or Robbie in the O2 there was only gonna be one winner. And, judging by the reviews, my decision was spot on.

I hope that some of the punters in the stands can get their money back, from what I can see the problem is probably more to do with the promoter but Young and his management must have some control over and knowledge of the setup and cannot be blameless for failing to ensure that the punters back in the ground and the stand could see and hear the performance. They knew how many tickets were sold, they know that everyone cannot be just in front of the stage.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I don't understand why they spread the seated area over the whole two stands, they would have fitted in half the space closer to the front and created a better atmosphere. I know if I had had a stand ticket down at the back I would have moved up, their was lots of empty space or gone down to the standing area.
      Sorry for the people who were disappointed, I wasn't and had a great time.
      Funny how the same thing can be perceived so differently by people or was the divide so extreme that it depended on the luck of the draw where you stood/sat.

Advertisement