Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

• 16-02-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don't know how many around here follow the Super Rugby season, but as it's about to start I thought we could get a thread going if anyone wanted to post anything interesting/thoughts/opinions etc., etc on the upcoming matches or general on-goings south of the border.

I try to keep up with it myself, but the early wake up times can be a killer.. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Seeing as I'm now an hour ahead I'm going to make a genuine effort to follow all the season.

Is Cooper back for the Reds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

There was one here last yr I believe so if the name be changed to Super 15 2012 might help with confusion if there is any.
    Otherwise come on CHIEFS.

I only start getting into this once it starts or a week before and from what I've heard there has been a big clear out at Hurricanes and Crusaders. Chiefs have a lot of new talent mixed with some of the guys moving from other franchises. Hopefully this could be the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm now an hour ahead I'm going to make a genuine effort to follow all the season.

Is Cooper back for the Reds?

Still there, but looks like Mike Harris might be the preferred 10 for their opening game.

There was one here last yr I believe so if the name be changed to Super 15 2012 might help with confusion if there is any.
    Otherwise come on CHIEFS.

I only start getting into this once it starts or a week before and from what I've heard there has been a big clear out at Hurricanes and Crusaders. Chiefs have a lot of new talent mixed with some of the guys moving from other franchises. Hopefully this could be the year.

Yeah, wasn't sure if that was the norm or not.

MODS: Feel free to edit the thread title to say 2012 season to avoid confusion.

I tend to follow Crusaders, good work ethic and always entertaining to watch. Haven't really looked into their new team sheet yet. Will start looking at the new team lineups this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Always wondered what a Crusader/Hurricane Vs Leinster/Munster game would be like. I'm not going to start a debate on this as no one really knows in more recent years, but I always thought that the S15 teams get into their stride much quicker and you see great rugby by week 2 or 3 while it could be half way though the season before you see Rabo12/HC teams gelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Hopefully the Stormers can make the semi's again but with Rassie Erasmus leaving I would be surprised, their pack (front row really) is not up to scratch either imo.
    Of the SA sides, I think the Sharks might be the best package, good pack with Smit gone there's less tension around the Hooker slot, I really like the look of McLeod the young 9 & Lambie is developing but possibly not at 10 which might be their issue, I'm not sure if Michalak is staying for the Super 15.
    The Bulls have lost Matfield, Steenkaamp, Bakkies Botha, Dannie Rossouw, Du Preez....
    They still have a good squad but I think it's too much to expect them to challenge.

The Lions have a good young squad, they won the weakened Currie Cup last year and have an excellent coach, but I still think they're a class behind the front runners, I expect them to be more competitive but they will still be lower half. Watch out for Elton Jantjies at Fly Half, a future Bok 10
    The Cheetaahs are not going to be at the races, not sure on the status of Juan Smiths injury but excluding him they have no more than 4 or 5 players who are good enough at this level imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Never followed it much before, only caught the semi final or final. Might make an attempt to follow it to some degree this year.

How early will these early waking times be ?

The South African Games are only a couple of hours out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Are these games on sky sports?

MungBean wrote: »
    Never followed it much before, only caught the semi final or final. Might make an attempt to follow it to some degree this year.

How early will these early waking times be ?

The NZ/Aus games will be about 9am-ish for us.

• Advertisement

Here's a list of all the Union fixtures on Sky Sports, including the SupeRugby fixtures. Eek, some real early ones in there...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Really looking forward to it this year. Love watching great attacking Rugby. The Chiefs were the first team I ever saw in super 14 so I support them. Also enjoy watching The Reds & The Crusaders.

Also I would love them to bring back the Super Rugby Show on sky sports. Was a great highlights show with a few laughs thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stormers got a lot of stick for letting Johann Sadie (centre) go to the Bulls, then Jaque Fourie signed a contract in Japan when Stormers believed he would stay.

AFAIK that means that their only two out and out centres are JdV and De Jongh, they've also been playing Habana at 13 in the pre season games.

It will be interesting to see how the Rebels do, they have some serious class out wide with O'Connor and Beale but the fear is their pack is powderpuff and they won't see the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Gonna be able to see almost all Friday games. What team should I follow? Who plays most of their games on a Friday that are much craic?

I wan't a back dominated team with a useless scrum so that I can experience the highs and lows of rugby please and thanks.

PlanetRugby are currently posting Team Previews on their Super Rugby page here.

Good way to catch up on who's in and who's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lived in Perth so I'm stuck supporting the Force... :/

Looking forward to another season of slick passing and feeble defending though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

.ak wrote: »
    Here's a list of all the Union fixtures on Sky Sports, including the SupeRugby fixtures. Eek, some real early ones in there...

It's strange that they're not showing the Blues v the Crusaders which is the first fixture of the season.

Have never watched Super 15 before, I hear it is good??? wonder is it worth recording all the match's on plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Have never watched Super 15 before, I hear it is good??? wonder is it worth recording all the match's on plus?

It's massively entertaining but, in terms of intensity, it's nowhere near the big games of the HEC. It's so open at times that it can resemble a 15 man version of 7-a-side. Tackling is half hearted, line breaks frequent, front five play an afterthought for some sides. It's a perfect tournament for the current crop of Australian backs. Hammer in the tries, don't take the points, tackling optional. Score lines can verge on the ridiculous e.g record score is 72-65.

The top few sides are capable of reaching an intensity the others cannot come business end of the season. The Reds were only the 5th winner since 1996. Before that, the last 6 titles were shared by the Crusaders and the Bulls. With only 15 teams, it's generally quite predictable.

Untouchable in terms of handling and running though to watch when it's on form.

GerM wrote: »
    It's massively entertaining but, in terms of intensity, it's nowhere near the big games of the HEC. It's so open at times that it can resemble a 15 man version of 7-a-side. Tackling is half hearted, line breaks frequent, front five play an afterthought for some sides. It's a perfect tournament for the current crop of Australian backs. Hammer in the tries, don't take the points, tackling optional. Score lines can verge on the ridiculous e.g record score is 72-65.

The top few sides are capable of reaching an intensity the others cannot come business end of the season. The Reds were only the 5th winner since 1996. Before that, the last 6 titles were shared by the Crusaders and the Sharks. With only 15 teams, it's generally quite predictable.

Untouchable in terms of handling and running though to watch when it's on form.

Sky + so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Another casual Chiefs fan here. Love this time of year, stumble out of the leaba, cup of tea and toast and get to watch something other than Soccer Am!

Will be interesting to see Haskell as well. Rebels caught my eye last year with a big number of NH players, always interesting to see how they fare down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Looking forward to Super Rugby starting up again. Will be supporting the Rebels. We have an exciting back line with Phipps, Cipriani, O'Connor and Beale but are lacking a tight 5. Not expecting too much from this year, definitely not expecting to challenge for the Championship. Hopefully the rugby will be exciting, and Cipriani and Vuna actually learn to tackle this year.

I think either the Crusaders or the Blues will win it this year. It is definitely exciting to watch, some magnificent tries in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

emmet02 wrote: »
    Gonna be able to see almost all Friday games. What team should I follow? Who plays most of their games on a Friday that are much craic?

I wan't a back dominated team with a useless scrum so that I can experience the highs and lows of rugby please and thanks.

The New Zealand teams seem to play more Friday games. Can't remember the Australians as well but the South Africans definitely play more weekend games. The Highlanders are good to watch imo. Less of the headless throwing the ball around that you see with some of the other NZ teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another year of mediocrity beckons for the Force :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Seems a bit strange that O'Connor is with the Rebels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Crusaders for me as usual. Can't wait to see how Dan Carter's comeback goes and I'm looking forward to retribution for last years' disappointment in the Final.

Crusaders squad here: http://www.crusaders.co.nz/net/team/player-profiles.aspx - read it and weep! :D

emmet02 wrote: »

You should back the Stormers, Cape Town is the closest to Ireland(ish) so support your local team and stop looking at those fancy Kiwi sides ;)

This opinion is in no way influenced by me living in Cape Town and supporting the Stormers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Hi,

I love the Super 15 since I first saw it over 10 years ago. It's great that there are more Northern Hemisphere played down there now too.

Never followed a franchises directly but I do like the Sharks.

Does anybody know if there has been much movement on the proposal to have the Super 15 winners play the Heineken Cup winners?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Im in and out of Sydney sooooo

Go Tahs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

This year will be the Sharks year. I can feel it in my bones.

Advertisement