Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ya good idea Lets start a fresh table. We'll know what we've done then for the year.

I did my 5 mile challenge a bit earlier than the rest of ye. twas yesterday in Bandon.

Mini Report:

Race was starting at 1 pm so got down around 12 so id have a bit of time to warm up etc. I was out till 2:30 the night before on a family night out so i wasn’t the freshest but i said id go out and see how i feel. I register ,got my number and walked back to the car to get changed. Then i realised i forgot to bring shorts:eek:. What a pro!:rolleyes: So i had to run the race in 100 year old tracksuit pants. Good start. Anyway it didn’t really put me off too much. I also didn’t have my garmin so i was running on feel which is dodgy for me. Lined up at the start (felt like declan moffett) and away we went. First mile was very fast down hill for 3-400 m then flat through the town. I typical of me went out too fast and come the first mile marker was blowing hard. 2nd mile was ok flat mostly but began to pull up at the end and when i saw the 2 mile marker i was ready to collapse. Mile three was tough enough with a pull followed by a hill. by the time i got to the top i was beginning to ease out and the breathing was relaxing a bit. mile 4 was then was fast again with a down hill followed by a flat section. I was feeling good here but knew if i pushed too hard the last mile would suffer. Last mile was flat too will a slight downhill to the end. With a mile to go a woman passed me so i went with her. I asked a man then how we were doing and he said we should break 35mins which i was delighted with. I ran my heart out for the last bit to make sure i got under. Crossed the line puffed but feeling ok.

Official time 34:46.

No splits as i didnt have a garmin but my internal garmin* read something like this:
    Mile 1: 4 mins
    Mile 2: 7 mins
    Mile 3 12 mins
    Mile 4 6 mins
    Mile 5 5 mins

* Warning! Internal Garmin not entirely accurate:P In reality I think i ran @ a steady enough pace with the exception of the first half mile :rolleyes: and mile 3 because of the hill so pleased with that.

Overall very happy with the time and a good start to the running year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well Done Bob, it must feel great to get the first race of the year done & dusted...great run even if the running gods were playing with you:rolleyes:...at least you had your runners with you...i read about one of the lads here going to race and forgetting his runners
    Great time too...well done....

Think we will go with the new table from end of this week...but if anyone want to fill in the table to complete the mileage since End of Marathon it would be great indication of how we all have kept up the miles since the marathon..thats one good thing about this thread...it keeps us all going!!!

Thanks Anne! Ya the runners are the main thing really.you couldnt run in anything else. It is nice to have a good run out to start the year.
    This thread has been great post marathon. It would have been all too easy to just let the running slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done bob great run. Sometimes those runs where everything seems to go wrong beforehand turn out to be the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a great 5 mile time there Bob. Great progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great running Bob, bloody hell you are flying. Well done

Went out today for my first run since making a pig of myself over the Christmas. Did the hardest 5 miles in a long time. Jesus that wind was something else plus maybe the extra pound or two I managed to pick up over the break made it very tough. I wont lie there was one or two moments where I felt sick:mad: but I carried on.
    Mile 1 - 9.54
    Mile 2 - 9.44
    Mile 3 - 9.38
    Mile 4 - 9.46
    Mile 5 - 8.29

Dave you are a real runner now;)
    I wont lie there was one or two moments where I felt sick:mad: but I carried on.

Good running today Dave...you got faster as the run went on!!!
    I still haven't got out and its driving me mad..thinking of trying the treadmill tomorrow but will see how im feeling...don't want to do anything foolish...
    and the annoying thing is i didn't eat or drink too much over the break as always in the back of my mind was "i'll want/will fit in a run tomorrow so don't want to run with a hangover"....:eek:

Anne I got quicker because the wind was at my back plus I was freezing:D. If I was you I would not rush getting back made that big mistake last year and I ended up with Bronchitis all because I rushed back.

Don't be hard on yourself the wind cant push you that much, as you warmed up you got faster!!!

i know i should just rest, thats what i keep telling myself and i had a similar chest/cough thing a few weeks back and kept running and it cleared but think i might have been lucky and this time shouldn't push my luck as i feel it in my back moreso that my chest and cough hasn't developed too bad.....

maybe if i take a break from Boards i won't be annoying myself so much and catch up on all the eating i didn't do over the christmas;)...still 2 puddings and 2 tins of sweet to eat here:D:D

Go on get stuck into those sweets. They might make you feel better

• Advertisement

will do...i'll be offline untill Sat sotalk to you then!!!!! This will be a smoker just off the fags...its going to be hard...Boards has become a part of my like...especially if the office is quite!!!!

Byeeeeeeee:D

Great running Bob....
    Thanks dave. been very lucky to find the group of runners that i have done. very friendly which helps keep it going. similar to being a member here like.

Younganne wrote: »
    will do...i'll be offline untill Sat sotalk to you then!!!!! This will be a smoker just off the fags...its going to be hard...Boards has become a part of my like...especially if the office is quite!!!!

Byeeeeeeee:D
    Take it nice and handy anne!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Happy New Year to all. Had my first run of 2012 last night, just a short one, but am happy that I have found a new route that will keep me off the seafront and out of the wind a bit more hopefully. Have entered for Raheny so thats first target of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great time for the five miler Bob. Your improving in leaps and bounds.

Quick question for E.coli or anyone else in the know, Whats a good warm up for a short race like 5k 5m etc? Ive found that its a few miles into races that my breathing finally settles down and i was wondering if a decent warmup might help this. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Quick question for E.coli or anyone else in the know, Whats a good warm up for a short race like 5k 5m etc? Ive found that its a few miles into races that my breathing finally settles down and i was wondering if a decent warmup might help this. Thanks!

Good question. The aim of the warm up is to stimulate bloodflow increase muscle temperature and loosen out the muscles to prevent injury. I think 5-10 min jog (slower than easy pace) should be enough for most people on this log given the mileage you are running.

Warm up does not just include a light jog often people do stretches and drills as part of this warm up. many people also believe that static stretching is not the best approach before a race and should be left till after a run.

As such here is a suitable list of exercises pre race as part of the warm up.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

Each person is individual in how to best they warm up, personally I take 3 miles light jog followed by 20 min to 30 min of drills and a few strides @ race pace with walk back recovery before I am ready but others take alot less. These should be practiced on your quality days to allow you body to experiment and get used to the warm up as the last thing you want to do is tire yourself out before your race

In your case your breathing should not really be affected too much with a warm up so it could be a case that you are going out too hard at the start. My advice for this would be the strides as these get your body ready for running at race pace and sometimes help stop you going out too hard

Looking at your own estimation of paces from the five miler I say this was the case

Thanks E.coli !! Great info. Ill try that at the next speed session. Similar in training i always find the second and third rep easier than the first for similar reasons.
    ecoli wrote: »
    .... last thing you want to do is tire yourself out before your race

ya i always have that in the back of my mind. The ol "you have long enough to go without adding more to it!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

some science behind warmups: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Warmup

"If we go from standing to running at race pace, our oxygen delivery will lag behind our oxygen consumption as our heart rate gradually increases, causing an oxygen debt (see image below). This oxygen debt can be disruptive to our aerobic systems and impair performance"

This summed it up for me!

two great replies thanks lads

• Advertisement

So what are everyones plans for this year? Is everyone going to do another marathon or will people try improve shorter stuff?

I couldn't get to sleep the other night wondering what time I could do in the marathon this year (with some training) if that counts.......

totally counts! and what was your conclusion?

Nothing too ambitious compared to most on here! Would like to knock an hour off last years time of 5.20. Feel I have no choice but to do another one after being so slow last year :). How about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Nothing too ambitious compared to most on here! Would like to knock an hour off last years time of 5.20. Feel I have no choice but to do another one after being so slow last year :). How about you?

If you can manage to keep up the training between now and october you should be able to take a hell of alot of time off that. Personally I think if you can get in 50%-75% of the training most weeks atleast there is no reason why 4-4.30 should not be a realistic target (and that goes to most people here at the very least)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So what are everyones plans for this year? Is everyone going to do another marathon or will people try improve shorter stuff?

Shorter stuff for at least the first half of the year, will make a decision on DCM closer to the time. Need to destroy some PBs first - my 5k-HM ones are comparatively soft in relation to my marathon PB.

thats a good goal to have! i tell ya i had nothing but admiration for everyone that day up in dublin. i remember walking back to the hotel and there were people still going and i thought to myself that they had a much harder day than any of the lads up the front.

I dunno i dont have any plans or goals at the moment to be honest. I will hopefully do Dublin again but id love to do cork as its my home one. Time wise, who knows really. the calculators have me down for 3.21 but that will not happen. Id love to do what ray and Mr slow did and improve to 3.30 but thats gonna be tough. we'll see. long ways away yet plus i have a few 10milers coming up so ill see what i can do at those.

Shorter stuff for at least the first half of the year, will make a decision on DCM closer to the time. Need to destroy some PBs first - my 5k-HM ones are comparatively soft in relation to my marathon PB.

I must admit that i am enjoying the shorter suff at the moment! its all good experience really. Its great to be able to see really good runners more often too.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

I think I'll focus on shorter distances for the moment. However, have decided that my long-term goal is a sub-4 marathon -that would be amazing! Ran 4.21 in Dublin in October and so would like to run DCM again this year to aim for a sub 4.15 race.

• Advertisement

run44 wrote: »
    I think I'll focus on shorter distances for the moment. However, have decided that my long-term goal is a sub-4 marathon -that would be amazing! Ran 4.21 in Dublin in October and so would like to run DCM again this year to aim for a sub 4.15 race.

Run44 you just wrote my post:D...i have gone from 4.41 in DCM 2010 to 4.26 DCM 2011 and would hope for 4.14 in 2012 with 3.59 in 2013...don't think i could manage two marathons in one year!!!

I want to continue with the shorter ones for now and see where that brings me....

at the moment i have ear, throat & chest infections ( and i suspect a kidney one now also) so won't be doing any running for at least another week. Doc said it was fine to run but i really wouldn't have the energy as the body is using all the energy to fight the infections...only the last two days have i lost the interest in trying to get out for a run so think the body was telling me HTFU:D

Advertisement