Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Darconio,
    I don't know if you've seen this video but it directly illustrates the problem which you are raising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VCJ1m0785zA

The general public gives out repeatedly about the Gardai not responding but without calls from the public they can't do much.
    Also, the general public, including owners of high value bicycles regularly don't note any of the important details of their bicycle. When it is then stolen, they are not in a position to give proper details to the Gardai when reporting the theft. Imagine reporting your car stolen and not even knowing the registration number. Would you expect it to be recovered?!

And yes, I do agree that a lot of Gardai don't treat these crimes with the importance that they deserve and therefore the victims of the crimes feel that they aren't being served adequately.

I am aware that there are a number of schemes in operation and in the pipeline regarding a bicycle registration scheme with the Gardai. Most people on the forum here are aware that there are a huge number of bicycles recovered by the Gardai every year and then auctioned off because the Gardai are unable to reunite them with their rightful owners. I would encourage every bike owner to support these schemes and sign up with their details. This will hopefully make the recovery of stolen bikes easier and make it harder to pass off bicycles that have been stolen as legitimate.

With a bit of luck, if these schemes are deemed to be effective, then they could be rolled out on a nationwide basis and will eventually lead to it being as hard to sell a stolen bike as a stolen car.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

Stolen from Blackrock, Louth overnight 18/19 December.

The bike is largely standard, but with a few modifications and additions which I won't list publicly. There are also some very identifying marks on the frame and components, some open, some hidden.
    It was locked in a shed with two other bikes, both of which are still there, so it was taken to sell I'd imagine.

If anyone sees, hears of or is offered this bike or one like it then please PM me any details. The colour is the standard single colour for that model, Raw Tint Dark.

I don't care about the person who took it, or why; I just want this bike back.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2012/archive/fuel_ex_9_uk

Thanks,

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 33 onyerleft

I know there is a thread for this but I'm too upset to search for it :(
    I have had both my bikes stolen from my shed sometime over the last 3 weeks.
    They are a Giant TCR composite (~2008), full carbon frame, Ultegra 6600 triple groupset, Easton EA90 slx wheels and a Cube Reaction Pro hardtail (anodised black) with full xt groupset with avid elixir brakes.

If you come across either of these, I'd appreciate you giving me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

onyerleft wrote: »
    I know there is a thread for this but I'm too upset to search for it :(
    I have had both my bikes stolen from my shed sometime over the last 3 weeks.
    They are a Giant TCR composite (~2008), full carbon frame, Ultegra 6600 triple groupset, Easton EA90 slx wheels and a Cube Reaction Pro hardtail (anodised black) with full xt groupset with avid elixir brakes.

If you come across either of these, I'd appreciate you giving me a shout.

Where were they taken from.

How were they locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rebel_rebel

Mens Giant Seek 3 Hybrid Stolen from Underground Car Park in Grand Canal Square area over Christmas (21st to 31st December)

Had two Krypnotite locks on it but didn't stop the thiefs

Security reviewing footage so hopefully will have culprits on camera for Gardai and exact date and time

Distinctive Features
    Little Sport,Fairview,D3 Sticker on Bike
    Back Mudguard
    Grey Bar,while rest of frame black(same colour and model as pictured)
    Bottle holder
    Lock Holder
    Speedometer on Front Bar with magnet on Front Wheel

Any help would be helpful,long shot but loved that bike so pretty gutted

Thanks Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

A friend recently had his beloved red saracen skyline touring bike stolen from the bike rack at Midleton railway station. This bike was his only means of transport.. I would ask boardsies in the East Cork area to keep a lookout for this bike..

It looks just like the one pictured below...

2396197951_f9315f95aa_z_zpsed3ab83e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

A friends beloved red Saracen Skyline touring bike was stolen from Midleton railway station bike rack on Thursday 3rd January 2013...

This bike is his only means of transport...I would ask boardsies in the east cork area to keep a lookout for this bike..any help would be greatly appreciated..

It looks identical to the bike pictured below...

2396197951_f9315f95aa_z_zpsed3ab83e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

How many bicycles have been reported stolen on this thread? (Never mind the other reports scattered around boards.ie)

Would it be possible to get a number and the dates, and print the whole thread out and send it to the Minister for Justice and the opposition parties' shadow ministers/spokespeople, and ask for action?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How many bicycles have been reported stolen on this thread? (Never mind the other reports scattered around boards.ie)

Would it be possible to get a number and the dates, and print the whole thread out and send it to the Minister for Justice and the opposition parties' shadow ministers/spokespeople, and ask for action?
    Not sure what that might achieve. Was every bike stolen in Ireland posted here? Action has been demanded by various groups over the years, and its only recently that we have the option of registering bikes with guards.

As long as there are scumbags (at either end of the supply chain) bikes will be stolen. The vast majority, and I'm not referring to many of those posted here, because they were locked badly with bad locks. Walk around Dublin, or any other large town, and you'll see bikes that would be better secured with shoelaces. Nobody deserves to have their bike stolen, but many are asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

endacl wrote: »
    Not sure what that might achieve. Was every bike stolen in Ireland posted here? Action has been demanded by various groups over the years, and its only recently that we have the option of registering bikes with guards.

As long as there are scumbags (at either end of the supply chain) bikes will be stolen. The vast majority, and I'm not referring to many of those posted here, because they were locked badly with bad locks. Walk around Dublin, or any other large town, and you'll see bikes that would be better secured with shoelaces. Nobody deserves to have their bike stolen, but many are asking for it.

That's a very poor reflection on society here. In Munich I have seen countless bikes parked and not secured. Much more respect for them over there than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Would anybody have any vague idea of what is going to happen to each bike stolen and never recovered? Are they kept safely until they cool down? or are they sold to a big smuggler and sent to another country? or sold piece by piece?

I had 2 bikes stolen since I moved to Ireland and despite looking at every single bike I come across, I was never able to spot mine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've heard a lot get smuggled out of the country, sold in UK or wherever they aren't "hot".

On an aside, I registered my bike at Donnybrook Garda station. Thankfully never needed to report it, but am wondering if this system has every been used to recover a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot get smuggled out of the country, sold in UK or wherever they aren't "hot".

On an aside, I registered my bike at Donnybrook Garda station. Thankfully never needed to report it, but am wondering if this system has every been used to recover a bike?
    That's the idea behind the system. If a guard suspects a bike to be stolen and its registered, it should be relatively straightforward to check.

Also, the vast majority of recovered bikes go for auction or scrap, as there's no way for the guards to reunite them with an owner who didn't bother to even record the serial number.

'Its a blue bike guard. With two wheels and a saddle. Let me know when it turns up'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanchick

My husbands new bike - focus lost lagoon: red : stolen tonight @ inspire gym in Cabra : don't even have a picture- pls advise if you see any ads etc anywhere- am scouring sites now. What is the point in having a new bike that you cannot leave locked up for fear some freeloader feels he/ she has the right to take ? So annoyed as treating the whole family to new bikes was a bit of a splurge but we love cycling- wish we'd kept our 12 year old trusty steeds now that no one would look Twice at!! If anyone does see anything please let me know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Sorry to hear that. Mods may move topic to stolen bike thread. For the benefit of everyone could you tell us what type of lock he was using and how it was stolen. Was lock cut, forced or otherwise damaged. It may prevent another theft..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Mods may move topic to stolen bike thread. For the benefit of everyone could you tell us what type of lock he was using and how it was stolen. Was lock cut, forced or otherwise damaged. It may prevent another theft..

Thanks, good thinking- will find out and post: not too sure of details right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

my friends mtb was stolen last night in tralee county kerry, a grey and green carrera banshee X, it has slightly chunkier tyres on it than a normal xc bike as it was being used for a bit of dh, the front bomber fork is also leaking dirty oil onto the stanchions, the big ring in front is bent slightly, it has an x7 drivetrain and white avid juicy three brakes and the bike also has some small scratches on the top tube

424172_10200383673613869_1787259584_n.jpg

if anyone sees it could you send me pm on here, he really liked the bike and its a right pain in the arse as it was his only bike

Icyseanfitz

urbanchick wrote: »
    My husbands new bike - focus lost lagoon: red : stolen tonight @ inspire gym in Cabra : don't even have a picture- pls advise if you see any ads etc anywhere- am scouring sites now. What is the point in having a new bike that you cannot leave locked up for fear some freeloader feels he/ she has the right to take ? So annoyed as treating the whole family to new bikes was a bit of a splurge but we love cycling- wish we'd kept our 12 year old trusty steeds now that no one would look Twice at!! If anyone does see anything please let me know thanks[/Quote

Still no sign of bike: lock was a good one €88 u bend airbus so that was money well spent- bike & lock gone forever by the looks of things :-(

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Still no sign of bike: lock was a good one €88 u bend airbus so that was money well spent- bike & lock gone forever by the looks of things :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Still trying to figure out when someone had a chance to do this, the bike is only ever locked on the street for minutes at a time.

Probably didn't have power tools, they just got through the plastic sheathing and exposed the metal.

Abus gold rated €90 U-lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Don't think this deserves a new thread but Irish Rail are doing a clean out of the bike shed at Heuston Station. Clear notice on say 1/3 of bikes that they will be removed on 28/01 if they remain on that particular rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Incubu wrote: »
    My Klein Attitude Comp was stolen in the early hours of Monday 18th of July an I'm absolutely gutted. It was taken from the Charlotte Quay apartments on the Ringsend road.
    The colour is the same as in the picture but all the components are different. The frame is extra small. It has a distinctive gold Hope rear hub and an Exotic rigid carbon fork that looks like a suspension fork.
    I'm pretty sure this bike is unique in Ireland so hopefully one of you will spot it.
    Thanks.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Klein&Model=Attitude+Comp&Type=bike
    BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Klein&Model=Attitude+Comp&Type=bike

And.........this bike was finally returned to the rightful owner today, a year and a half after being stolen, good things do happen sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Holyboy wrote: »
    And.........this bike was finally returned to the rightful owner today, a year and a half after being stolen, good things do happen sometimes :D
    Any more detail on what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

my friends mtb was stolen last night in tralee county kerry, a grey and green carrera banshee X, it has slightly chunkier tyres on it than a normal xc bike as it was being used for a bit of dh, the front bomber fork is also leaking dirty oil onto the stanchions, the big ring in front is bent slightly, it has an x7 drivetrain and white avid juicy three brakes and the bike also has some small scratches on the top tube

if anyone sees it could you send me pm on here, he really liked the bike and its a right pain in the arse as it was his only bike

Icyseanfitz

Will keep an eye out around the town. Was it nicked from student accommodation? Tell your mate to keep a close eye on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Will keep an eye out around the town. Was it nicked from student accommodation? Tell your mate to keep a close eye on DoneDeal.

nope straight out of his shed, needless to say my expensive bikes are currently residing in my bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Hi

My wife and I have just returned from holidays to find her beloved bike was stolen sometime last week from Aberdeen Street, Dublin 7.

It's pretty distinctive with its Brooks' saddle and taped handlebars and it's got silver detail; pedals, mudguards and bottle holder. It has white tires and my picture doesn't show the black saddle bags that were also attached when stolen.

It was locked together with another old bike outside our house using a kryptonite ulock and cable. Both were cut and lifted as there is no lock left attached to the shoe scrape outside our house.

Any thoughts on where it might end up or get sold on would be a great help. Of course if you find it that would be just perfect! :)

Please help.

Thanks a million,
    Geoffraffe

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Keep an eye on Donedeal/adverts/gumtree etc. If there's a local cash converters or similar it'd do no harm having a look and maybe mentioning to them to give you a shout if a similar bike comes in.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Donedeal/adverts/gumtree etc. If there's a local cash converters or similar it'd do no harm having a look and maybe mentioning to them to give you a shout if a similar bike comes in.

Good Luck

Thanks a mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Jonppb

My bike was stolen from the house early this morning in the Drumcondra area. Please keep your eyes and ears open on your travels around town.

It is a Klondike Flyer Racing bike, with a large rear mud guard (fixed to the saddle bar), lights front and back (rear light is fixed to the lower part of the frame on the right hand side). Front and back tyres are different (rear is a new Schwalbe tyre).

It was a present from my Father and I currently cant afford to replace it. I am (was) very dependant on it for getting around. It is not a common brand, I have only ever seen 1 other in town. It dosent even appear on google and those guys know everything.....

Please share with all your Dublin friends and colleagues.

The below is an old picture. The reflectors and drinks holder are gone, with a new light to the front handle bar, rear light moved to the lower frame and a mud guard in its place. The cat wasn't stolen

S7001827%20%28800x600%29.jpg

Advertisement