Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Juicing vs Smoothies

Options
  • 21-10-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm having a think about replacing one of my daily meals (either lunch or dinner) with a green smoothie or maybe buying a juicer and using that...

I would think that a green smoothie would be better as you can use a wider variety of fruits and veg and you get the skin in there

But I always hear people going on about how great juicing is - I'm assuming there would be less calories in juice?

What are your opinions? Do any of you replace a meal with smoothie/juice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Calories will be lower but so will satiety. Long term it's just no use.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why do you want to replace a meal with liquid? its one of the worst possible things you could do if satiety / sustainable calorie deficit is what you are after.

When I am trying to lose weight I typically don't even have whey protein shakes as I'd rather eat a chicken fillet or packet of beef or even a plate of frozen veg etc to stay fuller for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

On work days I have always have a green smoothie for breakfast followed by a handful of nuts and a cup of hot water with lemon. I'm never hungry before lunch time.

I make my green smoothie with celery, spinach, avocado, nut butter, protein powder and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

It's a stupid thing to do. Just think about why you're doing it. If it's because some hippy on the internet says it's good, you should think about it a bit harder. If, after your deep internal deliberation, you come to the conclusion that a liquid 'meal' is a good option, blended fruit and veg is better than juiced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hi

I'm having a think about replacing one of my daily meals (either lunch or dinner) with a green smoothie or maybe buying a juicer and using that...

I would think that a green smoothie would be better as you can use a wider variety of fruits and veg and you get the skin in there

But I always hear people going on about how great juicing is - I'm assuming there would be less calories in juice?

What are your opinions? Do any of you replace a meal with smoothie/juice?

Thanks

I replace either my breakfast or my lunch with a Juice everyday and never feel hungry at all .............. if you feel that the Juice alone won't satisfy you then try blending your Juice with a banana (if it's a fruit based breakfast Juice) or an avocado (if it's a vegetable based Green Juice for lunch) and you should feel the positive effects in no time ........... good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Hi MadDog, can you give example of what you have in your juices? I was thinking of doing this too but am looking for some inspiration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had a protein smoothie with fruit and ice thrown in last night for dinner cos i was tired and lazy but I wouldn't be doing it regularly or anything
    if you pick one just get a blender and use it for smoothies and then you can use it to make soups or whatever as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

verywell wrote: »
    Hi MadDog, can you give example of what you have in your juices? I was thinking of doing this too but am looking for some inspiration.

There's some good books here, they're all available in Easons too http://www.juicemaster.com/shop/books.html

For a beginner I would recommend Jason Vales Keeping It Simple book.

Here's some of his recipes http://www.juicemaster.com/recipes/ ........ he has loads of recipes on Youtube also.

Joe Cross also has a new book out which is available in Easons, plenty of recipes on his site too http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/categor...recipes/juice/

Of course the first thing to get if you're starting into Juicing is the Juicer itself, there's loads to choose from but the one I'd recommend is this one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...t%3EJUICER.htm

If you've never Juiced before try the "Lemon Sherbet" Juice as your first Juice, it's simply 2 green apples and 1 whole lemon including rind ....... it'll blow you away taste-wise!
    And watch the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", a real eye-opener ......... it's on Netflix and Youtube.

Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Anyone gotten Jason Vale's book, Fresh & Funky juices or something similar? Just wondering if it is worth a read, I already have his simple juice one but heard there is a recipe in the new book for a juice that tastes like the loop the loop ice cream - sounds good :)

Advertisement