Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with diet

• 02-01-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some help with my diet, I have gained 2 kilos on the belly my problem area in the last 6 weeks or so. I had got down from 98kg to 82.5kg over the last 2 years but recently I was a bit under the weather and could not exercise as much as I had and I stopped my favorite breakfast. My favorite brekkie is granola and fresh fruit such as strawberries and blue berries with low fat or zero fat yogurt and I would have been having this at least 4 time a week. So what I am looking for is some tips for a healthy breakfast and your views

Typical day
    Breakfast:Granola and tea with no sugar and a tiny amount of low fat milk (other days, toast with real butter and home made marmalade)
    10.30am Tea as above and on occasion cappuccino
    1.00pm generally a wrap with some coleslaw, chicken breast red onion and mayo and water
    6.00pm dinner generally 3 scoops of mash potato, either fried lamb/pork chop or chicken and veg with gravy
    9.00pm tea as above

Exercise: jog 5 km's 3 time a week time low 24's

Any tips would be great, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Boards Now Ye're talking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Read through the stickies , lots of good information there to get you started.

What you've listed is out of context without portion sizes , download something like My fitness pal and track the amounts you are eating , this will give you a Total calorie intake for the day. It will also breakdown your diet into macro splits for carb fat protein so you can see how you need to adjust your diet.

Compare this with your BMR and any additional exercise to get your total energy expenditure TDEE
    ScoobysWorkshop

If you're eating more than you're expending you're going to gain fat.
    Eat less than your TDEE and you'll lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

To be honest your breakfast is fairly poor and is not doing you any favors health wise. Dont forget Granola cereal is a processed food and all it will do really is spike your blood sugar. Worse still if you have toast with it. All your doing is loading up on refined carbs and not consuming any real nutritious food.

Fruit and yogurt is a good idea though, you could add some nuts to that and use full fat yogurt as low fat yogurt is more heavily process and laced with refined sugar.

Consider other foods like scrambled eggs, omelettes, avocados even some nice crispy bacon.... These foods wont drive your blood sugar through the roof and the fats will keep you nice and full.

Lunch and dinner are not the worst but nothing special either, overall it seems you are consuming alot of refined/processed carbs and not much fresh foods and greens.

Good exercise though but you will find that it wont shift belly fat to quick with that diet

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Spookyspook

Almonds. I love almonds. Banana egg pancakes are good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

To be honest your breakfast is fairly poor and is not doing you any favors health wise. Dont forget Granola cereal is a processed food and all it will do really is spike your blood sugar. Worse still if you have toast with it. All your doing is loading up on refined carbs and not consuming any real nutritious food.

Fruit and yogurt is a good idea though, you could add some nuts to that and use full fat yogurt as low fat yogurt is more heavily process and laced with refined sugar.

Consider other foods like scrambled eggs, omelettes, avocados even some nice crispy bacon.... These foods wont drive your blood sugar through the roof and the fats will keep you nice and full.

Lunch and dinner are not the worst but nothing special either, overall it seems you are consuming alot of refined/processed carbs and not much fresh foods and greens.

Good exercise though but you will find that it wont shift belly fat to quick with that diet
    crappyghost Thanks for you excellent help, just the kind of advice I was hoping for. I have now added 2 evenings of circuit training and with your advice I will shake up my breakfast and hope to get a bit trimmer. Knowing nothing about diet I always steered away from the likes of bacon and eggs but adding them in the right way and getting more fruit I suppose has to be better than the processed granola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Been there myself actually, can be tricky trying to get the diet right!! But some very basic info you should remember should all else fail;

- avoid sugar and processed food where possible as they are the the real enemy as opposed to Fat
    - Prepare most of your meals from scratch/ fresh ingredients

These habits are 90% of the battle

Advertisement