Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grant for boiler replacement

Options
  • 25-11-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

hi, would anyone know how long it takes the SEAI to process the grant payment for getting a new boiler?
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

About 6 - 10 weeks following receiving the correct completed DOW documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

just received an email to say payment of grant will be in my bank account in 2-3 days.

so they are getting quicker at processing the claims it would seem as i only submitted my claim 8 working days ago

just wanted to post in case anyone searches for this in the future.

Probably because there are not so many claims going through anymore. Many people are just changing their boiler without doing the full zone controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Jocelynel wrote: »
    just received an email to say payment of grant will be in my bank account in 2-3 days.

so they are getting quicker at processing the claims it would seem as i only submitted my claim 8 working days ago

just wanted to post in case anyone searches for this in the future.

Hi Jocelynel, can I just ask you, how do you go about applying for the grant, how long did it take from application to receipt, and lastly, what are the criteria to be eligible for it?

My boiler's been dying for years, only works for about 20 minutes then shuts itself off...

hi monokne

you need to apply on the seai website for the grant first. you will need your plumbers registered number, so maybe get your quotes first and then apply.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/

in order to qualify for the 610refund, you have to have 5 temperature gauges on 5 radiators and a room stat. You also have to get a BER cert when the new boiler is fitted.
    you fill out the forms, make sure every i dotted and every t crossed! i didn't let our BER cert guy take the form with him, he signed it and emailed the results the next day, so i could fill in the blanks and post it all off together.

we got a glow worm boiler and very happy with it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Jocelynel. Can I ask who you got to do the work and what total cost was? If I'm prying, my apologies, just trying to get a gauge on what I should expect because in my experience you usually get quotes all over the place for these kind of things.

I've spoken with a couple of contractors and they seem to have either the viessmann or the glow worm. One chap told me the viessmann comes with a 10 year guarantee, the other said 5 - never know who to believe when you're doing these things!

If you have 3 zones, then no TRV'S are required. If only 2 zones, then 50% of all your radiators must have TRV'S doing you have 14 rads, 7 TRV'S required.

Viessmann has a 5 year boiler warranty but a 10 year conditional warranty on the heat exchanger. The system must be powerflushed & inhibitor added & the only allowable chemicals are Fernox or Sentinel. Much better boiler than the Gloworm.

Thanks Shane. Are you in the trade yourself? The first chap rang me and chewed my ear off for half an hour. He was helpful but you can never be sure you're not just being sold to! He pushed the Viessmann big time and offered to install it with magnet clean and weather compensators (I could be off on those terms) for €2400.

However he said that didn't include all the heat controls that are required to get the SEAI grant and didn't have a price for what they'd cost on top of it. Any thoughts on that? :)

that shows you, i didn't know the correct terminology! we have 10 radiators in the house, hence the reason i said 5 trv's

all i can add is that the BER cost us €130.

I'm not sure of the exact cost of what we ended up paying for the boiler replacement only because we got a good bit of plumbing work done in the house at the same time, but we got 3 quotes and the cheapest one was 1900 and 2500 was the most expensive

Thanks. I don't mind paying two and a half grand to get the whole lot done if I think it's been a quality job and the work will last a long time!

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't mind paying two and a half grand to get the whole lot done if I think it's been a quality job and the work will last a long time!

that's how we felt....plus hopefully we will see as much as 15% cheaper gas bills eh!

Thanks Shane. Are you in the trade yourself? The first chap rang me and chewed my ear off for half an hour. He was helpful but you can never be sure you're not just being sold to! He pushed the Viessmann big time and offered to install it with magnet clean and weather compensators (I could be off on those terms) for €2400.

However he said that didn't include all the heat controls that are required to get the SEAI grant and didn't have a price for what they'd cost on top of it. Any thoughts on that? :)

That price for a Viessman sounds right if it includes the powerflush. It would also depend on the size of the boiler quoted for but is correct. Zoning would also be extra. Why did not quote for zoning as yet as you will not be able to obtain the grant without the zoning works.

It wasn't really a quote so much as a rough guide, he said he'd need to come out and see the place before properly quoting.

It wasn't really a quote so much as a rough guide, he said he'd need to come out and see the place before properly quoting.

Give JohnnieK a PM here on boards. He is not far from you & is an excellent installer. He would also be very experienced with Viessmann's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The boiler needs to be installed with the 4 pipe system hence zone controls for the weather compensator to work correctly on the Viessmann. You could get an instance on a mild day that you would only have Luke warm water in your hot water cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Danda99

I am wondering if it is worthwhile doing the grant application. When I got a quote 3 years ago from one of the few approved fitters, I was quoted 9.5 K. I asked a couple of builders/ fitters who said more like 5.5 K without grant. Are they just adding on to the price, or is it really costly to do all the zones & temp controls?

Currently I have 14 radiators and 2 BAXI wall mounted boilers, one broken & the other limping on for now...

Danda99 wrote: »
    I am wondering if it is worthwhile doing the grant application. When I got a quote 3 years ago from one of the few approved fitters, I was quoted 9.5 K. I asked a couple of builders/ fitters who said more like 5.5 K without grant. Are they just adding on to the price, or is it really costly to do all the zones & temp controls?

Currently I have 14 radiators and 2 BAXI wall mounted boilers, one broken & the other limping on for now...

There's more than a few on the list.

5.5k to 9.5k is a huge difference.
    You also have two boiler's which seems excessive for 14 radiators.
    And to be honest what would a builder know!

Could you give a bit more details on your system?
    Do you have a valve that can turn the rads off in the summer?
    How big are the rads and are they double or single.
    Do you know the size of your hot water cylinder?

And what size is your home?

You should get 4 quotes from SEAI approved installers. If there is major plumbing and electrical work to be done then this turns a lot of people off, but there are other way's to cut bills and have your system more efficient than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Sounds quite high. Why have 2 boilers for only 14 rads ?
    What area do you live in and maybe one of the approved RGII + SEAI installers here could drop by and give you advice.

Is there any chance you would know the output of the boilers?

I think the grant is worthwhile. It's not a huge amount of money, but if you're getting the €600 from them you can afford to go for one of the better boilers and a reputable installer. I got 5 quotes and was fairly surprised at the varying boilers, and prices, not to mention how some people considered it a fairly easy job where some were telling me I'd need the house ripped up for it!

FWIW, I ended up going with JohnnieK who's posted above me here, and he did a very solid job for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Danda99

Ok thanks for the replies. I obviously need to get several quotes. At the time it was early days & there were not many installers signed up for the scheme. I waved the quotation in front of several unqualified acquaintances out of shock I think!

The 2 boilers replaced 2 old boilers from when the basement was a separate flat. I naively thought that having 2 would give me a failsafe backup but has just meant double the expensive parts over the last 12 yrs.

The central heating is turned off in summer by me closing 2 valves. It's a big hot water tank (maybe 250?)

Big rooms & 2 storeys over basement. Poor insulation but terraced so at least heat doesn't escape sideways. There are 6 small & 10 big radiators (I can't add up).

Don't expect anyone to know what I have to do just like that but for a big, mostly empty house which I will probably move from when teenagers leave home would I be foolish to go for a grant approved system (which in maybe 5 years time will benefit new owners) if I could get by on something cheaper yet more efficient than what I have?
    Thanks for your time.

Ok thanks for the replies. I obviously need to get several quotes. At the time it was early days & there were not many installers signed up for the scheme. I waved the quotation in front of several unqualified acquaintances out of shock I think!

The 2 boilers replaced 2 old boilers from when the basement was a separate flat. I naively thought that having 2 would give me a failsafe backup but has just meant double the expensive parts over the last 12 yrs.

The central heating is turned off in summer by me closing 2 valves. It's a big hot water tank (maybe 250?)

Big rooms & 2 storeys over basement. Poor insulation but terraced so at least heat doesn't escape sideways. There are 6 small & 10 big radiators (I can't add up).

Don't expect anyone to know what I have to do just like that but for a big, mostly empty house which I will probably move from when teenagers leave home would I be foolish to go for a grant approved system (which in maybe 5 years time will benefit new owners) if I could get by on something cheaper yet more efficient than what I have?
    Thanks for your time.

There is a solution to every problem.
    even just a new boiler and thermostat would save you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm looking at upgrading my heating at the moment I have 1 zine so all or nothing. I have gotten quotes for 950 but there's no payback in it as my heating is bill is only about 600 a year.

I was thinking about maybe just getting a combo and removing the hot cylinder altogether.
    I've seen these ones are they any good.

http://www.rvr.ie/Product_Groups/0_33_38/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was wondering if there any updates for this thread. Will you actually end up spending more to get the boiler grant than the grant is worth?

New condensing boiler is about 2000 fitted, 560 grant. But how much would it cost to get the grant, in a house with 3 zone control already about 8~10 radiators, no TRV fitted.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/grants-available-for-new-boilers.html

That SEAI site is brutal for finding information.

hi there, can't remember the full details, but we did have to spend approx 280euros extra to qualify for the 560 grant, but still we came out 280 better off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

beauf wrote: »
    I was wondering if there any updates for this thread. Will you actually end up spending more to get the boiler grant than the grant is worth?

New condensing boiler is about 2000 fitted, 560 grant. But how much would it cost to get the grant, in a house with 3 zone control already about 8~10 radiators, no TRV fitted.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/grants-available-for-new-boilers.html

That SEAI site is brutal for finding information.

2,000 fitted???

It was a guesstimate. I was mainly interested in how much it costs to get the grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

how are you guessing figures without the grant at 2k,what are you getting for your guess figure?,If your going for the grant it has to be done right and per regulations, so no you cant compare,if your getting a proper powerflush 2k sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

agusta wrote: »
    how are you guessing figures without the grant at 2k,what are you getting for your guess figure?,If your going for the grant it has to be done right and per regulations, so no you cant compare,if your getting a proper powerflush 2k sounds good

If he's getting a proper powerflush then there's no way 2k will cover it

• Advertisement

I thought the amount you get for the grant was fixed. As per the link.

High Efficiency Oil / Gas Boiler with Controls upgrade. €560
    Heating Controls Upgrade only €400

Why are you fixating about the price of the boiler? Is the grant in some sort of ratio to the boiler?

Advertisement