Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Don't know about anyone else but that strikes me as paranoia. Especially when I clearly outlined why I felt the way I did about the show. You were essentially making **** up in an attempt to silence my opinion, there's questioning something and then there's being entirely reactionary and irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You're taking it a bit far now. I didn't like your review and called some of it into question. You've now used the words 'conspiracy' and 'paranoia' during the course of this thread.

It's a discussion about a TV show, not a top secret government plot to 'silence' you. People mightn't agree with some of the things you say sometimes. Relax.

I don't know how else I am supposed to take your comments other than that. You assume people have some sort of agenda for not liking something you do. Not making drama, just pointing out how your posts come across.

...so it's all a 'conspiracy' against you, is it?

Great point. Nobody should ever call the logic you use to deduce your opinions into question again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

leggo wrote: »
    It's perfectly valid to question the integrity, credibility or any ulterior motives that may go into a critique. On one hand, people want the right to have an opinion, but don't want others to have the right to criticise or question their opinion. I'm commenting on the comments of others, i.e. generating discussion. You want people to be able to have their say and not be questioned. Sorry man, this whole 'everyone is entitled to opinion' malarkey works both ways.

Your point is essentially, if a sane person with no ambitions of being a hipster dislikes something in a tv show he or she should stop watching it straight away and for the love of god dont come on boards and voice that neg opinion, that sounds completely rational, :confused:

• Advertisement

Your point is essentially, if a sane person with no ambitions of being a hipster dislikes something in a tv show he or she should stop watching it straight away and for the love of god dont come on boards and voice that neg opinion, that sounds completely rational, :confused:

It's really not, though. It's that there is fair and balanced criticism (both positive and negative), then there is criticism that borderlines on bandwagon-jumping and hating things for the sake of it.

Generally when you see something popular written off as roundly 'terrible' by certain people, then excellent by others, it falls into the latter category. Nothing can split opinions to that degree without having some substance. So generally the reviews that accompany them, written in such broad strokes, are compromised by some external biases.

How many more posts is it going to take for you to understand this? Or is everything just a black and white issue to you?

It's really not, though. It's that there is fair and balanced criticism (both positive and negative), then there is criticism that borderlines on bandwagon-jumping and hating things for the sake of it.

Generally when you see something popular written off as roundly 'terrible' by certain people, then excellent by others, it falls into the latter category. Nothing can split opinions to that degree without having some substance. So generally the reviews that accompany them, written in such broad strokes, are compromised by some external biases.

How many more posts is it going to take for you to understand this? Or is everything just a black and white issue to you?

Your counter jumps to speculation about the persons motives for watching the show and takes it to a more personal level where the debate is no longer on the merits of the show but is focused on the character of person giving the opinion it borders on slander. i could easly jump to the conclusion the your very positive views to the point of taking offense with opposing ones are based in bias as you think gervais cant do any thing wrong! im not gonna make that argument tho as it would be an assumption about your character of which i know nothing.

• Conspiracy theories
    • Paranoia
    • Trying to 'silence' voices
    • And now: Slander

You'd be forgiven for thinking that I'm describing an episode of 24. I'm not...it's an argument on the Internet! But some people REALLY don't like it when you challenge their opinions.

Cop on lads.

...so it's all a 'conspiracy' against you, is it?

Great point. Nobody should ever call the logic you use to deduce your opinions into question again.
    Where did I even say that anyone was plotting against me? Stop making rubbish up.

Your posts here are overloaded with fallacies and straw men.

e_e wrote: »
    Where did I even say that anyone was plotting against me? Stop making rubbish up.
    Of course the people who do like it are trying to make a conspiracy out of those who don't.

There.

• Advertisement

But some people REALLY don't like it when you challenge their opinions.
    You didn't even remotely challenge my opinions. Just lied and made mountains out of molehills.

Typical fanboy behavior.

There.
    So accusing me of conspiring against you is somehow a conspiracy against me?

Sorry, what? :pac:

Okay calm down Jack Bauer, let's not get worked up again. I suppose me not challenging your opinions is why it took you 46 posts to adequately reply to one of mine (until that was pointed out).

Let's leave this. It's ruining the thread.

So accusing me of conspiring against you is somehow a conspiracy against me?

Sorry, what? :pac:

I'm a bit relieved to find out you don't understand your own posts either. I thought it was my problem getting my point across tbh. Fortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

leggo and e_e,

Take your squabbles to PM please.

No. I'm happy to leave the matter here. Please don't ever talk to me via PM e_e.

Stepped off your high horse at last? Well okay I guess.

Just read basq's posts. Fair enough, wish I knew what he was on about that whole time though.

• Conspiracy theories
    • Paranoia
    • Trying to 'silence' voices
    • And now: Slander

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was an episode of 24. It's not, it's an argument on the Internet. But people don't like it when you challenge their opinions.

Cop on lads.

I assume your people too?

I dont mind opinions being challenged in a concise manner but accusing some one of bias and jumping on the bandwagon when a clear criticism was made is not challenging there opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

Basq wrote: »
    While it wasn't LOL-funny, it was an incredibly touching and accurate portrayal of the "Intellectually Disabled".

Gervais was amazing in it... that's for damn sure!

Agree with above. It made me cry.

Incredibly well acted all around. Just because it wasn't all drama all the time or all comedy all the time, doesn't make it unworthy of praise for its acting. I think personally, these are some of the most difficult roles.

I found it difficult to separate them from their personas in the Ricky Gervais Show etc... but only at first.

There were a few little moments that were gems. Different people will choose different bits I suppose. Different parts effected me more than others. Most people will get something different out of it.

When I finished watching the 6 episodes I felt like I wanted more, but I also see it as a beautiful little self-contained mini-series that probably would suffer for another series.

5/5, for me anyway.

Edit: Many comments on this thread made me wish there was a thumbs down button or something. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Finally got round to watching this on Netflix, it\s not very subtle at times and a little over reliant on music to stir the emotions, but when it is subtle it's either brilliantly funny or really poignant.

The final episode was brilliant stuff altogether, was a great little touch when Derek touched his dads hair when they hugged, harked back to the pilot episode when his friend died. I tought Kev's character throughout was annoying and kinda pointless, but his final monologue, that line about being a failure because he didn't try absolutely floored me.

Watching this atm and not sure what to think. On one hand there's some very good writing and interesting characters but on the other it's full of sentimental, tug on the heart strings nonsense that feels like it belongs in a poorly made student film. The over use of the piano score to underpin every sad scene is ridicolous and really starts to grate early on. Kev has to be one of the worst characters to ever grace our screens. He's such a poorly written and ridicolous character that you feel that the show really could do without him. The scene where he shat his pants is one of the worst things that I have ever seen and Gervais should have known better

It's by no means a terrible show but it really should and could have been so much more. There's so much potential in the setting and characters but its all so in your face that it's hard to warm to.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kev has to be one of the worst characters to ever grace our screens. He's such a poorly written and ridicolous character that you feel that the show really could do without him. The scene where he shat his pants is one of the worst things that I have ever seen and Gervais should have known better.
    I didn't like Kev in it at all... but he won me over the final episode!

David Earl's performance on Kev's monologue towards the end is just... well.. I won't spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    I didn't like Kev in it at all... but he won me over the final episode!

David Earl's performance on Kev's monologue towards the end is just... well.. I won't spoil it.

Agree with this completely.

Finished the series and really disappointed by it. It's amongst the most cynical series I've seen in a long time and the while thing comes across as an opportunity for Gervais to pat himself on the back.

It strives for emotional weight but the writing is so trite and cliched that it has all the impact of a mid week made for TV movie starring some soap stars. It tries so hard to be hard hitting and adult but really it's just an excuse for Gervais to attract some acclaim for his acting. It feels like pure Award bait and I really can't understand all the critical acclaim.

Kev's monologue was sad and all but it just felt so flat and uninspired. Ut should have been truly touching but just came across as manufactured and bland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finished the series and really disappointed by it. It's amongst the most cynical series I've seen in a long time and the while thing comes across as an opportunity for Gervais to pat himself on the back.

It strives for emotional weight but the writing is so trite and cliched that it has all the impact of a mid week made for TV movie starring some soap stars. It tries so hard to be hard hitting and adult but really it's just an excuse for Gervais to attract some acclaim for his acting. It feels like pure Award bait and I really can't understand all the critical acclaim.

Kev's monologue was sad and all but it just felt so flat and uninspired. Ut should have been truly touching but just came across as manufactured and bland

I'd say you're in the minority on this one Darko.
    Personally, I like that Gervais has managed to tackle a somewhat taboo subject for a comedy series and made us give a sh*t about the characters involved.
    Each to their own though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd say you're in the minority on this one Darko.
    Personally, I like that Gervais has managed to tackle a somewhat taboo subject for a comedy series and made us give a sh*t about the characters involved.
    Each to their own though...

If he is in the minority I'm just waiting for the day that the majority come out and tell the rest of us suckers that it was all just a big con job. I'm a fan of RG's work but Derek just baffled me. I thought it was so forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I just watched the first episode. Definitely not a comedy, and certainly does not make fun of the disabled, on the contrary, in fact. The way Derek responds to the counsellors suggestion that he get therapy is brilliant.

Its pretty decent, and Karl Pilkington is surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I just watched the first episode. Definitely not a comedy, and certainly does not make fun of the disabled, on the contrary, in fact. The way Derek responds to the counsellors suggestion that he get therapy is brilliant.

Its pretty decent, and Karl Pilkington is surprisingly good.

Just watched the whole season, its fantastic. Derek is such an endearing character. Anyone who thinks it makes fun of the disabled is, ironically, a retard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Watched all 7 episodes of Derek on Netflix last night.

Incredible stuff. Gervais gets a lot of stick but he's finally made that third show that will still be loved decades from now, following The Office and Extras.

The only minor quibble was certain scenes with Kev and the song choice where
    Derek runs to his Dad
    was far too obvious. I think if the latter had been less well known but just as emotional then it would stand the test of time much better.

That said I almost blubbered like a girl at those closing moments.

Its up there with the scene in the Office finale where
    Dawn storms back in to kiss Tim
    or the Extras one where Andy
    tells Maggie how much she means to him when addressing the cameras in the Celebrity Big Brother house.

Im not sure I could be in the same room as Gervais and his ego for too long but as a writer of amazing UK Sit-Coms and Dramadies he's up there with John Cleese and Armando Iannucci as the greatest ever.

Well done Ricky. You did good.

You did really, really good

Interview-Ricky-Gervias-Derek-00.jpg

Advertisement