Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish in ráth carin

Options
  • 25-10-2014 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

ráth carin is classed as a gaeltacht but is Irish spoken on a day to day basis like it is in the connemara gaeltacht?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Yes, basically. There isn't really a public center so there is nowhere to just stand around and hear people talking, but yes Irish is spoken there daily. The dialect is Cois Fharraige Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

so if I poped into a shop there speaking irish id get responded to in irish

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Yeah absolutely, the family who own the shop are locals and fluent Irish-Speakers! The sad thing about Ráth Chairn is that the locals will automatically speak to you in English as they assume you don't have Irish, but after showing them that you can speak Irish they'll respond in Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ráth carin is classed as a gaeltacht but is Irish spoken on a day to day basis like it is in the connemara gaeltacht?

Yes, Ráth Chairn is a very lively Gaeltacht. I attended a course there this summer where one of the teachers was the wife of the writer Liam Mac Cóil. Aside from the Connacht families and a few Corca Dhuibhne singers/musicians, there are several well-known scholars and academics who have moved there. There can be good trad seisiúin on at the weekend. And yes, the shop owner is a native speaker although in the summer he employed some outsider in her 40s or 50s and her daughter who seemed to think they were too cool to make the effort to speak basic Irish and that annoyed a fair few people (as all of us were there for Irish). I would be open to moving there as I left the place feeling great respect for them, but that sort of mentality is a definite turn off.

Advertisement