Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 monkeysuncle

Does anyone remember krystals nite club below the great southern in Eyre square

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Not a memory obviously but a good picture of old galway

Yes....we had trams :D Horse power :)

lroy00775_Horsedrawn_Tram_EyreSquare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nick forde

I nearly cryed when I read that lads. Twas better back then , wasnt it. d: what is it now just a halfarsed city with no personallity.

Ya galway in the 80s was the place to be now as you say is a halfarsed city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nick forde

I nearly cryed when I read that lads. Twas better back then , wasnt it. d: what is it now just a halfarsed city with no personallity.

Ya galway in the 80s was the place to be now as you say is a halfarsed city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Anyone remember Hills (I think that was the name). It was a real old style newsagent where Lazlo is now. I still remember the lovely displays of fruit they used to have.

Yes, Charlie Hill?

recall him in the fifties and sixties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pictures from last night at Salmon Weir Bridge, Arts Festival Big Top and fishing for Salmon

20140712_220340_zps0db3befb.jpg

20140712_220335_zps93f648fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is another thread for current pics of Galway. This thread is for old images and memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I remember going into some kind of a stationery shop in Dominic Street late 60s perhaps. It was on Joyces' Bookstore side about half way down. It was a place I did not usually go into as I think it was a school supplies place and maybe expensive too. Strangely, I think it sold comics too. Porters?

I remember going into a boring department/clothes store on Shop Street and not getting a chance to go on their rocking horse as other kids were on it. Ryans?

I remember having nice orange drink and chocolate bun upstairs in Lydons in Shop street with my mother

I remember standing with my father watching the opening of the cathedral in 196??? . Was there some kind of bicycle shop opposite the door near the canal? That is where we were. Palmers?

Certainly watching Rovers in a miserable Terryland Park. Saw us play Shamrock Rovers and I think both Giles and Dunphy were playing that day. Maybe Treacy too.

Yes, that fellow with guitar outside Claddagh Palace. Were there some kind of demonstrations about a film called, something like, Mongo? (film about American slave)

Leaving my bike in red bricked Garda station in Eglinton Street chained beside sign saying no bicycles allowed.

Pool upstairs in Savoy Cinema upstairs. Snooker in Men's Club across from cathedral.

Moth eaten Town Hall cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bobbyss wrote: »
    I remember going into some kind of a stationery shop in Dominic Street late 60s perhaps. It was on Joyces' Bookstore side about half way down. It was a place I did not usually go into as I think it was a school supplies place and maybe expensive too. Strangely, I think it sold comics too. Porters?

Yes it would have been porters
    I remember going into a boring department/clothes store on Shop Street and not getting a chance to go on their rocking horse as other kids were on it. Ryans?

That would have been The Blackrock

I remember standing with my father watching the opening of the cathedral in 196??? . Was there some kind of bicycle shop opposite the door near the canal? That is where we were. Palmers?

Hunters had a place there that used to sell children's prams and bikes too I think.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Philosophers (Showband)
    The MNC in Snipe Avenue where there is a school now.
    The Library in the Courthouse-up those stairs.
    Summers when Galway smashed Mayo in the Connacht Final. Those were the days indeed.
    Eyre Square with those beautiful, elegant black railings around.
    Corrib Shamrocks were the (then) Liverpool of the under age scene.
    The Bish had a great team. Mono-the West & Bish?
    Stauntans sports shop-opposite St Pats Primary School.
    Buying Dinky cars in Raffertys shop on Mainguard street. I think where the Euro shop is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I grew up in Galway and have always regarded Galway as 'home'. It is the best place ever to live!

Now that I have children of my own.....I feel they are missing out of lots of Galway:
    Jumping off Blackrock - only done when we're home, during the hols

Just hanging out in Salthill, by the wimpy (now Supermacs)

Hanging out also in the 'Savoy' - which was across the road from the post office on Eglington Street- we were at roller disco!
    Discos in the Bish/Tennis Clubs:rolleyes:
    NoNos/GPO/Oasis

Great place to be......

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I grew up in Galway and have always regarded Galway as 'home'. It is the best place ever to live!

Now that I have children of my own.....I feel they are missing out of lots of Galway:
    Jumping off Blackrock - only done when we're home, during the hols

Just hanging out in Salthill, by the wimpy (now Supermacs)

Hanging out also in the 'Savoy' - which was across the road from the post office on Eglington Street- we were at roller disco!
    Discos in the Bish/Tennis Clubs:rolleyes:
    NoNos/GPO/Oasis

Great place to be......

You forgot the fact that in rains all day at least every second day during the winter months....;)

It does......it's always raining -or 'misty!'

Still.....when you get beyond the rain......there is the prom! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galway is basically the same place I grew up in, landscape wise at least but the vibe and crowd in the city is not. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I absolutely love this place too. There's always something going on and I appreciate it more when I return from being away. Galway has become a brand name. There are so many other cities and towns who would love to get a sniff of the ambiance and lifestyle that we have. Waterford is a is a similar sized city (well, it used to be) and it's a gloomy place. My Waterford friends would love to live here only that they are tied down with mortgages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Op you post was like a trip down memory lane. I am lucky I still live in Salthill. The names might have changed but the place hasn't really changed that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've merged this with a very long thread in which you'll find lots of photos, vids and memories from those times.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Op you post was like a trip down memory lane. I am lucky I still live in Salthill. The names might have changed but the place hasn't really changed that much.

You lucky soul! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I just spent some time reading through this thread and LOVE it. I was born in 1981 so while I can only relate to some of the things mentioned, I still love reading/hearing about everything. My mum is from middle St and we lived on St Augustine St for a while and I've grown up listening to tails of old. Galway has an amazingly colourful history.

Des Hynes wrote: »
    Underage heaven with the video jukebox which was ground breaking at the time.

T'pau, Belinda Carlise & AC/DC

Wish it was still there , twas a fab spot , although arguably I was much younger then

• Advertisement

Anyone remember krystals nite club under the great southern , Eyre square

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Remember it alright but was never init.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Oh yeah! We used to sit and laugh at the type of patron going in there while we were waiting for the busses to the real capital of fun: Salthill!!!
    Think it was only the second official nightclub in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

......the bike repair guy between Jes and Ernie's. Was always on my to-do list to wait and watch him close up at end of day. Could never figure out how he got the 20 bikes outside into the shop which was already jammed full of a mesh of wheels and frames .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 traceys

If anybody knows of Johnny Trayers he was known for having monkeys from Galway I could well be his daughter. Please message me if you have any info. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If I remember correctly the man with the monkey's was called Johnny Trayers from Tuam. He eventually moved to live in Galway City in Ardilaun Road Newcastle and at the time got hassled by the local residents when he move in there. Some claimed he was operating a brothel.
    the man with the monkeys was called johnny trayers. he is dead about 20 yrs now. he moved to limerick late 80s early 90s. he had squirrel monkeys and used to charge for pics with them. he also used to sell rabbit shaped balloons . he never drank so the comment about the cans of beer is inaccurate
    traceys wrote: »
    Hi I could be related to Johnny Trayers if anyone has any information as regards to any of his relatives friends PLEASE MESSAGE ME.MANY THANKS.Tracey.

You could try directly messaging those people yourself, you might need to post more posts in other threads to be allowed use that function but it might be a good bet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Robbo wrote: »
    Murray's.
    Bottom of Taylor's Hill
    Great sweet and icecream shop way back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...also the Philosophers who used to play in the International Hotel just across the road and then there was Del Rios chipper and most of the nightclubs were in Salthill in the 80's and 90's

City centre memories include Rafterys for music items, Glynns toy shop and O'Gormans bookstore where Easons is now and Naughtons hardware used to be where MacDonalds is now.

I went to school in St Patricks National BS and then across the River to St Josephs Secondary both run by the Patrician Brothers who were strict but fair in the main part and no cruelty or sadism like you hear from other "religious"orders. They were more realistic and good leaders for their place and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

doolox wrote: »
    City centre memories include Rafterys for music items, Glynns toy shop and O'Gormans bookstore where Easons is now and Naughtons hardware used to be where MacDonalds is now.

Wasn't Naughtons where Boots is now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I have the distinction of being the first kid to walk through the glass doors of Naughtons while they were still closed (about 45 years ago). I can still remember the look on (I think Tom's) face while he was carefully removing glass from my knee up at the television corner in the left.
    No compo culture that time but I don't think it would have been availed of if there was. They did have plastic strips across the door a couple of days later though.
    It's one of the few things I remember from my childhood.

Advertisement