Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nordic random thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ush wrote: »
    Det är väl samma sak.
    Indeed, they are quite interchangeable but there is a difference.

Another one Swedes often get wrong is how to use "spendera", from English "spend".
    In English you spend money and you spend time.
    In Swedish you spenderar pengar or tillbringar tid.
    However, many say spenderar tid which is still perfectly well understood and accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ok. Trouble is it's very difficult to produce an umlaut on my tablet. Let me try : À à/ à/ @ a@a å à/ à/ seee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, they are quite interchangeable but there is a difference.

Another one Swedes often get wrong is how to use "spendera", from English "spend".
    In English you spend money and you spend time.
    In Swedish you spenderar pengar or tillbringar tid.
    However, many say spenderar tid which is still perfectly well understood and accepted.

Språket förändras hela tiden. "Tillbringar" funkar inte i talspråk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Det går over hodet ikke and
    Quack, quack (gakk, gakk?)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

feargale wrote: »
    Ok. Trouble is it's very difficult to produce an umlaut on my tablet. Let me try : À à/ à/ @ a@a å à/ à/ seee?
    You could always use ASCII codes, a 4 or 5 digit code for letters-characters which are not in the English alphabet.

May I suggest another way to get de tre sista åäö when you write in Swedish?

What I do is I have added Swedish as a language in my computer and then all I need to do is go to the lower taskbar and click on the little EN button and choose Swedish as the keyboard language instead of English, the åäö are then available as follows:
    ö is the button to right of L, on my keyboard it's the button with the colon and semi-colon ; :

and å is above ö and ä, the button to the right of P, which on my keyboard is brackets { [ .
    The capitals ÅÄÖ are available then as soon as you use the Shift key with these buttons specified above.

Only problem is that the original symbols ; : ’ @ { all shift to different buttons when you change to Swedish language, not only that but practically all the symbols across the keyboard have shifted. But at least you don’t have to use all the ASCII codes.

I have used this to write my Swedish and it works well. You get used to it quickly, also I am including a link below from wikipedia showing what a Swedish keyboard looks like so you can find the symbols that have shifted. I have a copy of this beside me for quick reference.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/KB_Swe...
    and read more about the differences between keyboards here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
    Finally, and before I forget, most importantly how do you add a language?
    copied from Windows Help:
    To show the Language bar
    Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Language bar.
    Once the Language bar is displayed, you can right-click it to display options for changing its settings, including docking it on the taskbar or displaying it vertically instead of horizontally.
    Note
    If the Language bar is not listed in the Toolbars menu, you do not have multiple input languages installed on your computer. You need to add additional languages using Regional and Language Options in Control Panel. For more information, see Add an input language.

and
    to add an input language I open the Control Panel and choose ‘Clock, Language and Region’ and then Regional Languages, then Change the Region then Keyboards and Languages, and follow the prompts.
    Add an input language
    You can edit documents in multiple languages by changing the language (the input language) in which you type. Input languages are included with Windows, but you need to add them to your list of languages before you can use them.
    Click to open Regional and Language Options.
    Click the Keyboards and Languages tab, and then click Change keyboards.
    Under Installed services, click Add.
    Double-click the language you want to add, double-click the text services you want to add, select the text services options you want to add, and then click OK.

I hope that makes sense, if not, get back to me…
    I wrote the above based on an older computer than I currently use, so you may have to look in the Control Panel to find where Languages is hiding.
    regards
    liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Det går over hodet ikke and

:pac:

This thread needs:
    MOARRRR Norwegian!!
    MOARRRR Danish!!

Ibland är det svårt att se skillnad på skriven danska och norska ... men att höra skillnaden är inga problem :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

meanwhileinsweden_zps0d5766e9.jpg

Uuuuuuusch!!!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Örebros svar på Manneken Pis fast 200 ggr större.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Jeg var i Norge iuke. Norge er en bra land. Folket er veldig vennlig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Vittu. Perkele. Saatana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Kevin Walker.......hooray?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

Han låter jätte dåligt faktiskt. Stick with the football Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

this is the coolest thing i have ever seen on boards ,people speaking norwegian

Hvad med alla som pratar svenska? Vi är också rätt så häftiga :pac:

:P:P:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Bare i ditt eget hodet:D:D

Ah here....... :p:p:D

BeKnmdoCQAAkfN7.jpg:large
    from @elusive_moose on Twitter

Something is wrong with your video, long range shooter

• Advertisement

Such a relief Norway didn't make it to the World Cup (again...)

funny-old-people-on-a-football-stadium-in-norway.jpg

Bx1pRTaCQAECHhs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Nei, drar tilbake til sverige ;)

How to start a Norwegian vacuum cleaner

meanwhile-in-finland-84526c.jpg

Efter ikväll känns det som om man borde tycka om Eurovision-tävlingen..... :rolleyes:

.... men det gör jag inte! :pac:

Heja Sverige i alla fall! ;):P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im känsla busig idag :-D :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

im känsla busig idag :-D :-D
    va?

Han känner sig busig idag.
    Up to mischief as per always ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Han känner sig busig idag.
    Up to mischief as per always ;)
    jo.. jag vet men det är inte brå svensk ;)

Advertisement