Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Are results out today?
    Every department is different. Which ones are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I wish there was an official 'release of provisional results' day. It's so frustrating having them drip-fed two or three at a time.

Ah but then everyone would have to wait on the slowest marker to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

The worst thing about doing history (despite the lack of job prospects :P ) is results never being posted online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Those lecturers must be still living in the past. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmperorKuzco

Hey guys,

Does anyone know anywhere I could park my car from Friday until Sunday in Maynooth town?

Despite being a student of the college for years I've only just gotten a car and genuinely know nothing about parking! I don't have a permit or anything... can I park on campus or will I get clamped? Or anywhere else I could pay for overnight parking?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Hey guys,

Does anyone know anywhere I could park my car from Friday until Sunday in Maynooth town?

Despite being a student of the college for years I've only just gotten a car and genuinely know nothing about parking! I don't have a permit or anything... can I park on campus or will I get clamped? Or anywhere else I could pay for overnight parking?

Thanks!

Permit parking only applies during working hours, although I'm not exactly sure what time it stops for the night. If you're parking from Friday night to Sunday, you won't have any issues. If you're looking for parking all day Friday, though, you'll need an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Have zero exam results back. Got an essay back but I don't really regard that as an exam result. This is definitely the slowest year I've had for results, I'd usually have something back by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Well I think you're A++ so that's a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Have zero exam results back. Got an essay back but I don't really regard that as an exam result. This is definitely the slowest year I've had for results, I'd usually have something back by now.

I had nothing back until the 24th last *year

I had nothing back until the 24th last week.

57414d1405306494-so-wife-just-asked-me-something-crazy-what_meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Just got my first result back today. Got of a bit a scare when I saw 30, but checking it again it was 30 out of 50. Not too bad for the module I disliked most last semester.

I had nothing back until the 24th last year

FYP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

thelad95 wrote: »
    FYP?

What? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What? :P

FYP = "Fixed Your Post." Usually meant in a sarcastic way :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

banquo wrote: »
    FYP = "Fixed Your Post." Usually meant in a sarcastic way :pac:

Has America killed your sarcasm filter too?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Fairly sure this has been asked before, is there a doctor on campus we can avail of? Not at the weekend, Monday is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

peacock169 wrote: »
    Fairly sure this has been asked before, is there a doctor on campus we can avail of? Not at the weekend, Monday is grand.

Yes. See here:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/campus-life/student-wellbeing-support/student-health-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Yep! In the medical centre, behind John Hume. There's a walk-in clinic every morning from 9-10, or you can make an appointment by ringing them, or walking in and talking to Rose, the receptionist. I've always found them really accommodating and supportive.
    Website with more details is here.

Edit: Awh man! Beaten to it!

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    Yep! In the medical centre, behind John Hume. There's a walk-in clinic every morning from 9-10, or you can make an appointment by ringing them, or walking in and talking to Rose, the receptionist. I've always found them really accommodating and supportive.
    Website with more details is here.

Edit: Awh man! Beaten to it!

5efc99882a1ed82d56bac655475a43d0bec855d318813f15c982bc6d80897c4a.jpg

Health centre is great was in there last week. Usually you're seen by a nurse first and if necessary, you'll be referred to the doctor.

Health centre is great was in there last week. Usually you're seen by a nurse first and if necessary, you'll be referred to the doctor.

Any idea on cost? Does not say on the link provided above, only that payment must be made with MyCard.

Any idea on cost? Does not say on the link provided above, only that payment must be made with MyCard.

Read it again. It's free to meet with a nurse of doctor but there are charges for certain items:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/campus-life/student-wellbeing-support/student-health-centre/charges

TheBody wrote: »
    Read it again. It's free to meet with a nurse of doctor but there are charges for certain items:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/campus-life/student-wellbeing-support/student-health-centre/charges

Ah, I see. Thanks. Not awake yet, Monday morning and all that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just out of interest, do provisional exam results usually stand unless you appeal them?

The library door hasn't shattered but there seems to be some mechanism broken in it.

Just out of interest, do provisional exam results usually stand unless you appeal them?
    Whether you appeal them or not, your exam may be one of the ones the external examiners for your department take a look at after the summer exams.

I don't know how the appeal process actually works. I suppose your paper would be checked by other members of the department, which may happen anyway depending on department size. And it may also be sent to external examiners to be rechecked specifically.

They say marks can go up or down, but I don't know of anyone's marks that went down from Christmas provisionals to the final marks after the summer exams.

I do, however, know first hand of incidents where marks went up. On one occasion there was a serious issue in one exam where the entire year was bumped by between 10-20%. One guy went from 49 to 72. But I think that was probably due to an error on the specific lecturer's part, not factoring in CA or something.

My personal marks have never increased or decreased between provisional and final, and I'd say it's that way for most people. I'd say you can be relatively sure that if your mark was a borderline one, i.e. 39, 49, 59, 69... then more than one lecturer looked at it and tried to find a way to give you an extra mark. Unless you didn't bother going to class, then the lecturer might've looked at your attendance and decided it wasn't worth checking your exam more than once. But those borderline marks would surely be in the selection the external examiners check too.

Is there any particular reason why Maynooth don't have a specified date for the release of semester 1 exam results? Why does Maynooth opt for a staggered release of results at the various departments' discretion? Nearly all other universities have a set date for the release of semester 1 results. It's never in any election manifestos either so there must be a reason for it?

• Advertisement

I was going to say it's never in election manifestos because there's sweet FA the SU can do about it... but then again they put all sorts of tripe in the election manifestos.

I have no problem with staggered release. If we all had to wait on the really slow departments to get their backsides in gear, that'd suck. I'd rather get them when each department is finished correcting them.

Advertisement