Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Give the recipe a few more listens, it grows on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

yea not a bad song

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Give section.80 a proper listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Big fan of everything black hippy are doing lately (except maybe for Jay Rock). Schoolboy q and ab soul had really great albums this year - though kendrick steals the show on his feature on each.

Kendrick steals a feature on nearly everybody though.

Must give each BH members solo stuff a listen before the BH album, yet another collection of music to add to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

floggg wrote: »
    Big fan of everything black hippy are doing lately (except maybe for Jay Rock). Schoolboy q and ab soul had really great albums this year - though kendrick steals the show on his feature on each.

ye its amazing that jay rock was the original flagship artist for the group but was just totally eclipsed by lamar and schoolboy who i think is second in command as far as talent goes.

I like ab soul but i cant get into his debut album for the life of me, really dont like it. Jay rock is the more old fashioned typical gangsta rapper of the group, everyone else seems to be a lot more broad in their music in terms of what they actually rap about.

I like them all though, jay rock is still a good gangsta rapper imo. He's the one who introduced me to lamar and black hippy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone listen to pre Section 80? Like the Kendrick Lamar EP.

Are they any good?

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Anyone listen to pre Section 80? Like the Kendrick Lamar EP.

Are they any good?

without a doubt listen to overly dedicated, that's my favorite out of the 2. give them both a listen, you wont be disappointed.

love the end of the heart when he nearly chokes himself from rapping lol.

He was on one or two Game* songs that were alright, nothing enough for me to notice him at the time though.

This is when he was called k dot after that I only hear him way after section.80 and even after the r.e.d album.

*well Game was also on one or two of his/others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

First I ever heard of "K-Dot" was on a Jay Rock track that also feature Lil Wayne:

As I was a getting into Jay Rock due to this being one of my favourite tracks at the time:

Then section 80.

• Advertisement

Just saw on lamars Facebook that the video for the receipe is due in the next 3 weeks but more excitingly he's said we could have the 2nd single from the album this month !

Can't wait for both especially the new single ! Also I hope cartoons & cereal is on the album despite it sounding like a section 80 leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

cool

This is going to be a long wait ! I honestly taught we'd get it this summer considering the receipe was released around 2 months ago.

Receipe video should be due out this week too. In all not happy about this release date, fu*king ages away.

There's a new single though dropping soon according to Lamar.

TBH i am still waiting on a big hit from him. i dont think his the new nas/eminem though. maybe he will be as good as "GAME"?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Really like some of Section 80, love Hiiipower and Recipe (took a few listens). He destroys Game on his own albums and is a far better MC than him in my humble opinion. I reckon KL going to be monster!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Let's not start comparing him to The Game please. The thread will be closed if that starts happening.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Let's not start comparing him to The Game please. The thread will be closed if that starts happening.

im not being smart but is the game taboo here now or something? its a relevant point that was brought up, both are west coast artists aswell as dre's past and present.

i agree with sarabroderick, but lamar is making any track he ft's on his own not just the city with game. KL is 100 times the mc game is but i doubt he'l have games commercial success tbh.
    TBH i am still waiting on a big hit from him. i dont think his the new nas/eminem though

do you not like the receipe? when the video comes out it might blow up. I think a KL single ft label mate eminem could kick start his commercial career.

im not being smart but is the game taboo here now or something? its a relevant point that was brought up, both are west coast artists aswell as dre's past and present.

i agree with sarabroderick, but lamar is making any track he ft's on his own not just the city with game. KL is 100 times the mc game is but i doubt he'l have games commercial success tbh.

do you not like the receipe? when the video comes out it might blow up. I think a KL single ft label mate eminem could kick start his commercial career.

i've had a few listens to recipe and it doesnt "wow" me the same way nas/eminem wowed us when they first came into the scene.

To me he looks like another "Game" but i will reserve judgment for when more songs come out.

Game was decent but Dre's name carried him. Cant say the same about Eminem, he created his own style etc, like Nas

i've had a few listens to recipe and it doesnt "wow" me the same way nas/eminem wowed us when they first came into the scene.

To me he looks like another "Game" but i will reserve judgment for when more songs come out.

Game was decent but Dre's name carried him. Cant say the same about Eminem, he created his own style etc, like Nas

He's nothing like the game, he's a better MC, nicer flow etc. If you think he sounds like game after hearing section 80 then you probably didnt listen to it.

And eminem didnt create his own style, he jacked Nas' and AZ's flows when he first came out, he eventually developed his own style though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Slightly taboo, every time he is brought up it decends into a rollercoaster ride on the forum of name calling and bannings/infractions. I'm trying to nip thing before they start.
    I'm all for healthy discussion, if it can be kept civil it's allowed, but once the madness begins i'm putting an end to it with bannings.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    he eventually developed his own style though.

Kinda sorta.

He is a better rapper than Game though and has more potential wider consumer appeal.

(He is also better than 50, kanye and several others too imo but it is very early on in his career)

It is too early in Kendricks career to be talking Nas, Eminem, 2pac etc

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Slightly taboo, every time he is brought up it decends into a rollercoaster ride on the forum of name calling and bannings/infractions. I'm trying to nip thing before they start.
    I'm all for healthy discussion, if it can be kept civil it's allowed, but once the madness begins i'm putting an end to it with bannings.

fair enough but i think its healthy enough at the moment after all lamar is the biggest rapper out of the west since game so a comparison is inevitable here at some stage even though they are completely different in terms of style and the majority of their content.
    It is too early in Kendricks career to be talking Nas, Eminem, 2pac etc

very good point, the man hasnt even an album out yet.

lamar freestyled for westwood without a blackberry in sight.:D

Not best debut, best album period.

That is a bold statement, especially from someone who isn't that cocky.

Not best debut, best album period.

That is a bold statement, especially from someone who isn't that cocky.

i know, its crazy tbh.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He's nothing like the game, he's a better MC, nicer flow etc. If you think he sounds like game after hearing section 80 then you probably didnt listen to it.

And eminem didnt create his own style, he jacked Nas' and AZ's flows when he first came out, he eventually developed his own style though.

i diddnt hear Nas talking about similar subjects then eminem and eminem doesnt have same flow as Nas. far from it.

Eminem can rap a comedy song with fouled mouth catchy lyrics, Nas? far from it. he is more of a traditional serious rapper not joking around in his songs.

I will check out section 80 now and see if it can wow me like eminem/nas. if not we will wait til his album drops.

I am now hearing this kid is saying his album is the best ever made? such a bold redicolous statement showing cockiness already when hasnt done anything meaningful at all.

Not a good sign so far but lets wait and see. i think he wil just be another "bog standard" rapper that offers no refreshing uniqness to the rap game.

i diddnt hear Nas talking about similar subjects then eminem and eminem doesnt have same flow as Nas. far from it.

Right, you havent listened to infinite then, it's like listening to Nas or AZ but with a different voice, if you disagree then you're just in denial.
    I am now hearing this kid is saying his album is the best ever made? such a bold redicolous statement showing cockiness already when hasnt done anything meaningful at all.

It's a promotion technique, he gets people like you doubting him then comes along with a piece of work that blows peoples minds, it happens. It's like Muhammad Ali calling himself the greatest fighter that ever lived when he hadnt beaten anybody of note, he was an extreme underdog and then he goes and beats Sonny Liston for the title.

Kendrick could seriously surprise us all, he's extremely talented, and this is coming from somebody who isnt even a big fan of him.
    Not a good sign so far but lets wait and see. i think he wil just be another "bog standard" rapper that offers no refreshing uniqness to the rap game.

He's already proven himself as somebody who isnt a "bog standard" rapper, he's different and is already offering uniqueness to hip hop. I can see him going places with the effort Dre seems to be putting in to him. With all the work dre is doing at the moment he found time to feature on a song with kendrick, that must mean he has ideas for kendrick.

I agree with paddy.

my own personal opinion is that section 80 is arguably the best piece of hip hop released in the last 5 years along with WTT, there the only 2 recent albums that i really listen to. I think section 80 is genunally a modern day hip hop classic tbh.

There hasn't been a new rapper that has caught my attention like Lamar since 50 and kanye broke through in the early 00's, everyone else just started of with promise but they either fell of or failed to live up to the hype i.e j.cole ( still a fan, just didn't like his debut for the best part, letdown.)

I started of a fan and someone who liked lamars music but after hearing section 80 it turned him into one of my favourite rappers and he doesn't even have an album which is crazy but overly dedicated and section 80 are better than the majority of hip hop released in recent years plus I love the fact he's from LA and that he's very unique in style and what he raps about.

But none the less it is an incredibly Cocky thing to say, better than illmatic, doggystyle, MMLP, chronic etc ? I really really hope it is for the sake of hip hop. Most rappers are like fighters though conditioning themselves to feel like their the best, it's nothing new but it can come across cocky or disrespectful to those before him.

• Advertisement

2Pacalypse Now, NWA, Death Certificate and 1/2 more cube solo albums, BDP, EB&R, Run-Dmc, a lot of PE, a lot of Beasties etc all came before this cut off point of 20 years ago btw.

But better than all of Nas, Jay, Biggie, solo Rakim, a lot of Ice Cube, Snoop, Dre, Eminem etc (just to name really succesful mostly 90's rappers)

But he is essentially take the most recent (and most sizeable chunk) of hip-hop and saying his debut will be better, I hope it does not flop.

Advertisement