Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Notes

• 05-05-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Does anybody know of any sites for higher level English notes, especially poetry? Or can any body recommend a good revision book? My poetry book is terrible :(
    Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

For poetry notes, I'd really recommend This Is Poetry by Brian Forristal & Billy Ramsell for poetry notes. It doesn't have the actual poems printed in it but since you probably have a poetry book already that should be fine. It goes through each poem in great detail and covers the background, themes, poetic devices etc. My English teacher gives us harly any notes so I found it was a great help to me. It's published by Forum Publications and I got it in Greenes Bookshop in town. Its not cheap at about €15 but it's really good. As for websites, you could try www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone_sc.asp?id=2566 but they aren't very in-depth. There's a lot on Yeats but very little on some of the other poets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Fishie wrote:
    but since your brother already has Poetry Now he'll be fine.

Where does Innervision's brother come into this?

*Angel* wrote:
    Where does Innervision's brother come into this?
    Haha, oops sorry! I literally just copied and pasted that response from another thread where someone was asking about English notes for their brother - I did that cos I couldn't remember the details of my poetry revision book, which was in my locker in school. Sorry if I confused anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

best poerty book is poetry now. It has about 500 pages, and they reprint it every year to suit that years leaving cert. Mine is for 2005, and has only and all of the poets coming up fot my leaving in a few weeks. Has really good notes in the back, as well.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    best poerty book is poetry now. It has about 500 pages, and they reprint it every year to suit that years leaving cert. Mine is for 2005, and has only and all of the poets coming up fot my leaving in a few weeks. Has really good notes in the back, as well.

Yeah I have it too, it is pretty good but what annoys me is that all the poems are dealt with in isolation.

• Advertisement

*Angel* wrote:
    Yeah I have it too, it is pretty good but what annoys me is that all the poems are dealt with in isolation.
    We use it as well, it's good enough but I know what you mean about using the poems in isolation. It'd be nicer if they went through the broader themes and possible questions and stuff - but I guess if the possible questions are things like 'Write a Personal Response', it's not really the kind of thing you can learn from a book

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Thanks a lot! I've borrowed Poetry Now from my teacher and so far it looks pretty good, might look into getting This Is Poetry too!

I just found this site for Longley it's pretty worthwhile it compares his poems: Longley Link

Advertisement