Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shifts and travel to Paypal from Littlepace

• 25-03-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Lads. ..wondering if anyone have any idea on negotiating about shifts with PayPal. ..everything sounds great but shifts for family life is hard to go with..how difficult to convince them if someone has great experience and is really interested? ?
    -Also untill I get a car...im planning to get bike but is it safe to commute?
    Any advise please? ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

memomtoo wrote: »
    Lads. ..wondering if anyone have any idea on negotiating about shifts with PayPal. ..everything sounds great but shifts for family life is hard to go with..how difficult to convince them if someone has great experience and is really interested? ?
    -Also untill I get a car...im planning to get bike but is it safe to commute?
    Any advise please? ??

Have a friend that works for them and there a great company to work for. I don't know exactly how shifts work but I know my friend has done nights (don't know if they are optional or not) but he's back on days now and I'm pretty sure he's 8-6 Monday to Friday with a day off during the week so a four day week. It's something like that.

And a quick Google map and it seems you have cycle paths to and from which should make it a safe enough cycle. Obviously test your own route for time and safety purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭memomtoo

Thanks for your response! !
    Had my interview for customer solutions really positive throughout but did shift work all my life untill now, I really don't want to say No for this reason but really looking for day which finishes by 5/6....can I really ask them about this.
    Really confused is everyday different timings? ?

Checked in maps if I pick path by bike they say I have restrictions on the way to reach paypal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Paypal is down by the shopping centre right?

If so, you'll have no restrictions.

I don't exactly know how the shifts work you would have to ask them about that. I don't think my friend has ever done shift work I just know he has done nights. But I'm pretty sure that was optional and he done it for the extra money.

And the restricted usage in Google maps is because of the industrial estate (it would be classed as a private road). So just plan your route as you want. And be sure to test it to and from paypal to find the route that's best for you.

No its at Ballycoolin Business park, BLANCHADSTOWN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    Paypal is down by the shopping centre right?

If so, you'll have no restrictions.

That's their eBay office.

No its at Ballycoolin Business park, BLANCHADSTOWN

Ah right, even better again, straight run through Damastown and up the Cruiserath Road Ext onto Cruiserath Road. Even better than going to the centre.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's their eBay office.

No paypal is definitely in Ballycoolen.

Ah right, even better again, straight run through Damastown and up the Cruiserath Road Ext onto Cruiserath Road. Even better than going to the centre.

Would you have a link which has this route if so easy??
    how long it takes??

I don't exactly know how the shifts work you would have to ask them about that. I don't think my friend has ever done shift work I just know he has done nights. But I'm pretty sure that was optional and he done it for the extra money.

And the restricted usage in Google maps is because of the industrial estate (it would be classed as a private road). So just plan your route as you want. And be sure to test it to and from paypal to find the route that's best for you.

is it true?? But after considering several factors can they put me in one shift if at all I ask them at offer confirm meet??

• Advertisement

No paypal is definitely in Ballycoolen.

I know, I'm was pointing out the office beside the centre is their eBay office.

Would you have a link which has this route if so easy??
    how long it takes??

Google Map directions

Wow!! I never found this link there....so is there cycle path throughout the route?? Solves the problem. ..

if Anybody has any advice, I can't sleep untill its something they would consider, really looking to know if can ask a dayshift...one shift all the time
    has anyone got any ideas on salary for this role with 5+yrs of work experience? ?

No, not throughout the whole route but most of it has cycle lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Wow!! I never found this link there....so is there cycle path throughout the route?? Solves the problem. ..

if Anybody has any advice, I can't sleep untill its something they would consider, really looking to know if can ask a dayshift...one shift all the time
    has anyone got any ideas on salary for this role with 5+yrs of work experience? ?

Hi,

Good luck with the job BUT working in an office and coming from a bike smelly, wet, tired, sniffy, exhausted after an argument with nasty driver ! Hmmm, for me, is big NO !
    You can get 2-3 seasons from Littlepace to Blanch Bus Ctr easily...you'll need to carry two sets of clothes !

Get a cheap car to get you started and look from day one... professional !

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Good luck with the job BUT working in an office and coming from a bike smelly, wet, tired, sniffy, exhausted after an argument with nasty driver ! Hmmm, for me, is big NO !
    You can get 2-3 seasons from Littlepace to Blanch Bus Ctr easily...you'll need to carry two sets of clothes !

Good luck.

I'm sure PayPal have showers, and are just as positive to cycling employees as any other company I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭babaracus

Hi,

Good luck.

It is a 6km cycle on generally flat roads, you would do it in 15 minutes. It is not a stage of the Tour De France. I commute about 7km each way and I can assure you that no shower is required and it does not rain as often as you think, at least not during the exact times of a commute each day.

A car plus insurance plus tax plus petrol plus traffic all to avoid a 15 minute cycle? Is it any wonder we have a traffic problem in this country.

Hi,

I don't know what your or the OPs fitness levels are, but it's a very short cycle which would make only the unhealthiest of people exhausted and sweaty.

And yes, Paypal have showers.

I'm over weight and unfit and even a 15/20 minute cycle at a leisurely pace wouldn't make me sweaty/smelly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

It's a fine cycle...the only dodgy part is Damastown Road which is very poorly lit at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

fletch wrote: »
    ...the only dodgy part is Damastown Road which is very poorly lit at night.
    ....And the craters repaired road surface.

There's a decent hill from Damastown to Tyrrelstown too, but that makes getting home fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

There's a pig of hill from Damastown to Tyrrelstown too, but that makes getting home fun.
    FYP;)

Hope its safe to cycle there. .....around 7/8pmish......but if someone gets back to me with paypal shift negotiating thing....Please advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

babaracus wrote: »
    It is a 6km cycle on generally flat roads, you would do it in 15 minutes. It is not a stage of the Tour De France. I commute about 7km each way and I can assure you that no shower is required and it does not rain as often as you think, at least not during the exact times of a commute each day.

A car plus insurance plus tax plus petrol plus traffic all to avoid a 15 minute cycle? Is it any wonder we have a traffic problem in this country.
    I don't know what your or the OPs fitness levels are, but it's a very short cycle which would make only the unhealthiest of people exhausted and sweaty.

And yes, Paypal have showers.

Oahhh...sorry to offend you guys.
    Didn't know I have managed to get so many replies and thanks :)

My point of view: cycling to office (I guess is an office environment and not a warehouse) in a good sunny weather is ok and can get you sweat, no matter how fit you are.
    When is raining, is going to be worse as you have to change the clothes and possible have a shower. What if the showers are dirty.. or faulty few days ?

Now...how many of you cycling, having a spare set of clothes, no matter of the weather and...how many minutes you have to leave home in advance to get there to have a shower !? Also, one day you're late due to other factors...can you afford to don't have a shower !?
    What if that day you have to meet the manager or client (s) !?

Yes, of course, you cycle, is green, no complication of car traffic... no matter the smell, the inconvenience of having the carry the body smell / sweat all day ? Maybe not you, but your colleagues will...

We had a guy with a motorbike coming to work, smelly and tired and in one day after a broke down, full smell of petrol ! Not nice...we had to isolate him :)
    I have a friend that is cycling to IBM, nice chap, nice cycling along on the main road ...always he has one bag in the front and another in the back. Guess what: with changing clothes.

That is my opinion and I don't care how green or inconvenient is for other users driving to work...I want my white shirt to be white, my nice smell of aftershave and ready to chat with the guys and not rushing / waiting /be delayed at some stupid showers...

While I respect your decision, i guess you may have to think about the staff / colleagues / management when you start a position and you may have unknown issues with the presence, clothing, smell, presentation, at least for few months until you find your way around the entrance to showers with your eyes closed !

Have fun.

You're over complicating things. I cycled 20k each way to my old office, the OPs cycle is a quarter that. Despite what you think, is doesn't rain that often in Ireland when it comes to commuting by bike.

If he wants to make a sprint of it and requires a change of clothes each time, all he has to do is bring 1 bag once a week and leave it at his desk, bring it home for the weekend then, there's no need to do it every day. I don't know what your colleague was doing bringing two bags in every day. By showering there he'll also be fresher than anyone who drove.

There's also more than one shower in Paypal .

You're looking for obstacles really.

In the event of his bike breaking down, he's unlikely to come into the office stinking of petrol. If he does, he's doing something very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hope its safe to cycle there. .....around 7/8pmish......but if someone gets back to me with paypal shift negotiating thing....Please advise

You won't negotiate with PayPal unless you have a language. If you start off in CS you'll be stuck there for 2 years, you'd be better off starting in Business Support, ask about BS for somewhere like the Australian market, there's good money in that shift and you get excellent time off. PayPal and CS has a high turnover of staff so there will always be positions coming up.

TheZohan wrote: »
    You won't negotiate with PayPal unless you have a language. If you start off in CS you'll be stuck there for 2 years, you'd be better off starting in Business Support, ask about BS for somewhere like the Australian market, there's good money in that shift and you get excellent time off. PayPal and CS has a high turnover of staff so there will always be positions coming up.[/quote

thats good stuff to know but if I ask for different process if they say only have CS?? I have over 5yrs experience in CS including some leading. ...if its Australian process would that be day shift??..trust me I did nights graveyards but tired of all really looking for proper life....but like paypal as well...thats the only issue

Whats about Business support do yu think I can ask?? Wondering how to start to ask for it??? Really desperate. .... I did not accept other jobs for some reasons...now paypal seems like thats the kind of place I want but seriously No for shifts (lates....nights):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

thats good stuff to know but if I ask for different process if they say only have CS?? I have over 5yrs experience in CS including some leading. ...if its Australian process would that be day shift??..trust me I did nights graveyards but tired of all really looking for proper life....but like paypal as well...thats the only issue

If you're looking for regular hours then the Australian shifts won't suit, you'd pretty much be working Australian hours, but it's good money apparently. I would not go in at CS level if I was you. With CS you log in, log out, take breaks when they tell you, every minute is accounted for.
    Whats about Business support do yu think I can ask?? Wondering how to start to ask for it??? Really desperate. .... I did not accept other jobs for some reasons...now paypal seems like thats the kind of place I want but seriously No for shifts (lates....nights):(

Business Support is a step up from CS, it pays ok. It would be tricky to start in an english speaking non-shift BS role without having done your 2 years in CS or having worked for maybe 6-12 months in a shift role in BS. Don't believe all the fluff they tell you at interviews in PP, reality is very different. They have a high staff turnover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement