Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

powermeters.

Options
  • 03-03-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why powermeters are so expensive? Some of the powermeters I have seen are more expensive than my bike which wasn't cheap by any means.

I didn't think a device for measuring your power output could end up in the €1000-2500 range? I might be naive here on these devices and I put my hands up in saying I have little knowledge on them, but maybe someone can tell me why they cost so much?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just wondering why powermeters are so expensive? Some of the powermeters I have seen are more expensive than my bike which wasn't cheap by any means.

I didn't think a device for measuring your power output could end up in the €1000-2500 range? I might be naive here on these devices and I put my hands up in saying I have little knowledge on them, but maybe someone can tell me why they cost so much?

Thanks

Because the old saying "there is one born every minute" still applies today.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Knowing how much power you produce?................. Priceless. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks

You need a more expensive bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some factors leading to price

1)High development costs. R&D on these is expensive. Each one is pretty different from the other in how they operate, meaning each company is pretty much having to develop from scratch
    2) cycling is growing, but it's still a relatively small market. then consider the even smaller fraction of those who want to buy power, and it's a pretty small market. Now take the r&d cost above, add the profit margin, and divide by the number of purchasers. there is your cost. More buyers would make it cheaper, but very risky for a company to do that from the start in case they don't get the right number of buyers
    3) I'd imagine the production yield on these isn't very high, further adding to the cost.
    4) because people will pay it

Cheaper and cheaper options are continuously coming, so in that regard it's the same as every other market. Early adopters in any market always pay a huge premium before a market matures. There was a time when a 40" Flat screen tv wasn't seen anywhere for under 2000, now look at the prices, and thats in a significantly bigger market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

On Strava, you see a lot more users now on power than a year ago.

These days most club cyclists have a GPS cycling computer, 5 years ago they were a lot less frequent.

I think we are at a turning point and you will see a lot more with power in 5 years time. Hopefully this will be reflected in prices going South

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Power metering is complicated and there isn't enough volume to spread dev and manufacturing costs.

It won't be cheap until it's included with the groupset. Maybe Shimano will take care of it in the classic Japanese way (enter late after someone has created a market then refine the invention).

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/02/17/shimano-files-patents-for-powermeter-cranksets-measures-effort-in-multiple-planes/

edit: on the other hand an 11sp DA chainset costs €360 from CRC, and that's just a lump of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Stages meters aren't too badly priced. If it's good enough for team sky it'll be good enough for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Craig06 wrote: »
    Stages meters aren't too badly priced. If it's good enough for team sky it'll be good enough for me.

I bought one. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Long lead time

Advertisement