Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do men not want me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    No apology required and no offence taken :) You made a very valid point. I'm just a bit emotional about the whole relationship thing at the moment and am on the verge of genuinely giving up on even trying to find someone, and coming to terms with life alone. It's quite a lot to wrap my head around.

Anyway, I won't hijack this thread any more.

Its usually when you resign yourself to being alone that you find the person you're looking for. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Greenduck wrote: »
    Its usually when you resign yourself to being alone that you find the person you're looking for. x

If I hear/read that one more time..... :D:D:D:D:D

But thanks for the kind thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP, you sound exactly like a pal of mine. She tried everything...online dates, normal dates, hobby clubs the lot but kept coming up short after a few dates. They would claim to be 'only looking for fun' or eventually just ignored her. It was heartbreaking to see my beautiful, intelligent, kind friend being walked on. Sometimes she slept with them on the 1st night, other times she didn't. She would get frustrated that it didn't seem to matter what she did, she wouldn't hear back from them.

They one night she met a guy, got completely smashed, slept with him (all the technically 'wrong' things to do) and called me next day, mortified and upset that he would be added to the long list of blokes who didn't call back.

However, he did call back and now they are together years and very happy. She kissed loads (and loads) of frogs for years and almost gave up. She blamed herself, her behaviour, the dog, the weather everything. The mad thing was she hadn't met the person for her. It was really that simple. Dont blame yourself, dont blame online dating..its no ones fault. You just haven't met the person you're meant to be with. The silver lining is that you're not wasting time with some loser that's not for you for the sake of being in a relationship.

I really hope it works out for you!

Thank you for this. It brought a tear to my eye!

I feel a bit like this really if I’m honest. Like I’m sick of psychoanalysing my own behaviour and feeling like I’m always the one at fault. It’s hard not to become introspective and self-critical when you’ve had years of the same old sh1t, dates that fade into oblivion, this big build up and butterflies and then that pit in my stomach when it inevitably goes nowhere. I really do believe that my behaviour / self-esteem isn’t helping – it can’t be a coincidence that this has pretty much summed up my entire dating life to date.
    I guess I just get worried that I haven’t developed the relationship ‘skills’ that other people have at this stage and maybe I’m ‘too single’ – being on my own and doing my own thing without being accountable etc is just so normal to me. I don’t ‘fall into’ relationships naturally like so many people seem to…and at my age, I don’t exactly have many years to waste if I’m interested in having a family etc. Not that that’s at the forefront of my mind, but it is a thought.

I’m also sick of the ‘it’ll happen when you least expect it’ brigade…I almost never expect it, it doesn’t happen…go figure!! I’m quite a proactive person in all ways – very resourceful and practical in my job and otherwise – and I don’t believe I should just sit back and wait for a relationship to ‘happen’ to me. Doing that has gotten me nowhere. I do believe it’s something I need to work at…but it’s hard to strike the balance between putting yourself out there and being relaxed and confident and just laid back about things – which I know I need to be to not come across as some kind of crazed psycho man-eater….you know??

And I agree with the poster who said my life has been a bit transient...last country I lived in, things started to happen with a guy who I had known for a while and it definitely could've become a long term thing...but I was leaving so that ended that. Everywhere I go, I'm getting used to different men, different dating cultures etc. Funnily enough I have the worst luck with Irish men...always find them most difficult to read...never get approached by them...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Hi OP, you sound exactly like a pal of mine. She tried everything...online dates, normal dates, hobby clubs the lot but kept coming up short after a few dates. They would claim to be 'only looking for fun' or eventually just ignored her. It was heartbreaking to see my beautiful, intelligent, kind friend being walked on. Sometimes she slept with them on the 1st night, other times she didn't. She would get frustrated that it didn't seem to matter what she did, she wouldn't hear back from them.

They one night she met a guy, got completely smashed, slept with him (all the technically 'wrong' things to do) and called me next day, mortified and upset that he would be added to the long list of blokes who didn't call back.

However, he did call back and now they are together years and very happy. She kissed loads (and loads) of frogs for years and almost gave up. She blamed herself, her behaviour, the dog, the weather everything. The mad thing was she hadn't met the person for her. It was really that simple. Dont blame yourself, dont blame online dating..its no ones fault. You just haven't met the person you're meant to be with. The silver lining is that you're not wasting time with some loser that's not for you for the sake of being in a relationship.

I really hope it works out for you!

This is exactly what happened to me, I was always single or chasing after a bloke who had no interest in me. Then one faithful Tuesday night I went to Coppers of all places and fell in love with the barman. These things happen and I'm glad I had my single years, they were great learning experiences and I wouldn't be the woman I an today without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

at my age, I don’t exactly have many years to waste if I’m interested in having a family etc

OP your 29!!! You've plenty of time...I met my wife when we were 31 and have three kids now. Don't rush in to stuff and don't settle for someone its the worst thing you could do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

Do you have any male friend who you'd feel comfortable talking to this stuff about?
    I've had similar dating issues too, still single but having spoken to a male friend, he said I don't come across as all that approachable.not that I'm not friendly or easy to talk to or anything, more that I don't seem like someone who is single or open to being approached. I suppose when your single for so long, you become completely selfsufficient and independent and maybe that can sort of give off a vibe of 'not really bothered' or 'not in the market' or whatever.
    I know that has sort of been the case with me anway. Just something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

What is happening you now is called experience and one day you will probably look back and be glad you have these memories even if they don't seem like good ones now.

Dating is like buying a house, you look and you look and you look and you find one and someone comes in with a better offer or the bank wont authorize it or any number of things can go wrong to stop you from buying that house you really want and you look again and again again and it happens again and your exhausted by it and you want to give up but then one day you see a house and it completely surprises you, you walk through the door and instantly your at home, this is the house that was meant for you, all that rejection and disappointment of before you barely even remember it and when you do it doesn't seem like that big of deal because now you have the house that you really love and really want to grow old in.

Just never give up and never stop looking.

A tip for dating is always first date: Lunch! If they are interested really they will meet you, if they try and make it night time in a pub say no and move on.

Lunch time says I want to get to know you as I know we wont be drinking and in a dark place that has candles lit and has nice music playing and leads to anything but getting to know you.

Be firm and ready to move on.

Google online dating , your not alone and there is decent people who want the whole shebang and not just the bang.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Also..there is much more to life than being in a relationship! Enjoy life while you're single! Reading other comments under ''Relationship Issues'' makes me wonder....jeez would these people be happier single!! :)

Advertisement