Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blanchardstown Scouts / beavers group

• 08-04-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I heard the 104th & 114th Scout troop are based in St Francis Xaviers school in Blanchardstown but I can't find any information about them online. Does anyone know when they meet? Are they based in the school and do they have a beavers group?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Good luck with scouting in the area in general.

I’m an ex scout and made two attempts to go into being a leader and the interest from the people that run it isn’t there.

Signed on and went to a BBQ in St Francis Xaviers, never heard from the group again and was told they are terrible at planning.

Went back to my old troop in Corduff and helped out for months as a Beaver leader, broke for Christmas and never heard from them again.

It’s very sad to see the lack of enthusiasm for scouting in general, I had a great time in it right up till I was 18 and became told old to be in Scouts (and then other work etc stopped me from going into being a leader)

Id love for it to make a return and become a leader as people had to do likewise for me when I was in it and went on days out/trips away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

jeffk wrote: »

Cheers,
    Not really any info there unfortunately.

AlanG wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Not really any info there unfortunately.

No worries,you'll need to ask around and who runs the whole area,we had a women who was over the whole lot and she had the information or someone who could help you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanc...69644496393013

Last post was funny enough from me asking on behalf of a friend

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=617

Boards scouting section,again not much going on there

http://www.porterstownscouts.com/contact.php?title=beavers_friday

Not the same group,but contact Lisa on that list and she should be able to help,the whole family is/was involved in scouting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Pity to hear about the lack of activity/organisation with the scouts up that way. My daughter is with the Scouts on the Navan Road and they are very active & communicate a lot. Probably a bit out of your way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Harvey52

Good luck with scouting in the area in general.

I’m an ex scout and made two attempts to go into being a leader and the interest from the people that run it isn’t there.

Signed on and went to a BBQ in St Francis Xaviers, never heard from the group again and was told they are terrible at planning.

Went back to my old troop in Corduff and helped out for months as a Beaver leader, broke for Christmas and never heard from them again.

It’s very sad to see the lack of enthusiasm for scouting in general, I had a great time in it right up till I was 18 and became told old to be in Scouts (and then other work etc stopped me from going into being a leader)

Id love for it to make a return and become a leader as people had to do likewise for me when I was in it and went on days out/trips away

Hi Jeff ,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with scouting in our area. As a current leader in Dublin 15 for the past five years and also an ex beaver, cub and scout I would just like to say I feel that you really have it very wrong.

Scouting in Dublin 15 is a very active movement and we have a lot of enthusiasm and passion. There are currently six groups running very successfully in the area. Speaking for just my group we currently have over 300 kids and run a packed program all year ! so clearly we must be doing something right!

I also think you need to be careful slating an area as a whole just because of your experience as it's very disheartening to hear you speak like this when every leader gives 100% of their time and energy.

All the adults involved in scouting are give their time voluntary. It is a huge commitment to be a leader and we all do our very best for the scouting movement but most importantly the kids .

If you need to contact any leader from either groups mentioned that's no problem I can give you the details but maybe a private conversation to organise getting involved would have been better.

Edele

Sad to see people only signed up to have a go at me (after I contacted someone to give the op information) on this and via facebook.

If scouting is so strong why didn’t someone from the 104th & 114th or another local scout group reply to a question nine hours ago?

I wasn’t enthusiastic then
    • I look on the fingal volunteers site to see if the scouts where on it
    • Went to a BBQ to meet a group
    • Spend months helping in corduff beavers
    • Gave my number to a leader to contact me about returning(which the replies have made me think twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

My son has been going to the corduff group for nearly two years and absolutely loves it. He does new things every week and there are lots of days out and camping trips, his next overnight camp is in june and he cant wait. The two women who run it are hugely committed and look after the children really well. A new leader has recently started who is also very nice. The beavers meet at half six every tuesday in the corduff community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scouter15

Sad to see people only signed up to have a go at me (after I contacted someone to give the op information) on this and via facebook.

If scouting is so strong why didn’t someone from the 104th & 114th or another local scout group reply to a question nine hours ago?

If I wasn’t enthusiastic then why did I look on the fingal volunteers site to see if the scouts where on it or go to a BBQ to meet a group or spend months helping in corduff beavers?

Jeff it could be a case that no one from the group saw it yet, surely not getting a reply within 9 hours doesn't justify scouting not being strong.
    That's great you went looking but can you not see that posting stuff like that doesn't help scouting in the area. We do a lot we just don't want people thinking we don't.

The time you spent in beavers I'm sure was greatly appreciated, you said you never heard anything back....why didn't you go asking? Anyways no need to debate. If you need information you can ask just like Edel said.

Hope you find what it is you need :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Harvey52

ameee wrote: »
    My son has been going to the corduff group for nearly two years and absolutely loves it. He does new things every week and there are lots of days out and camping trips, his next overnight camp is in june and he cant wait. The two women who run it are hugely committed and look after the children really well. A new leader has recently started who is also very nice. The beavers meet at half six every tuesday in the corduff community centre.

Great to hear !

• Advertisement

Scouter15 wrote: »
    Jeff it could be a case that no one from the group saw it yet, surely not getting a reply within 9 hours doesn't justify scouting not being strong.
    That's great you went looking but can you not see that posting stuff like that doesn't help scouting in the area. We do a lot we just don't want people thinking we don't.

The time you spent in beavers I'm sure was greatly appreciated, you said you never heard anything back....why didn't you go asking? Anyways no need to debate. If you need information you can ask just like Edel said.

Hope you find what it is you need :-)

You and the other posted only signed up and posted for the first time in this thread, surely your or a group should have a boards account for situations like this.

Then it shouldn’t happen. I gave my experiences based on facts. I didn’t make anything up and said just as much good about scouting.
    Ask my girlfriend,im always on about scouting and the great time I had in it, so I don’t know why people come on here lashing me for speaking the truth.

Why should the person volunteering have to chase up to offer to help, the person running it could send a quick text and then the person can say yes or no I won’t be back

As I said I have given my number to be contacted and sadly this response has made me think twice about giving up my time and becoming a leader for the third time

I dislike Scouting and want to badmouth it so much I went out of my way to find and take a load of pictures in Larch Hill and to show my girlfriend where a lot of the stories happened

Pictures

https://plus.google.com/photos/117994264212038034728/albums/6000037637129132673

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

It is very hard to find out what troops there are in the area, if any are taking on members.
    I tried finding out when my kids were younger as I come from a scouting family and could not get any proper information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No attacks on a poster please. If any of you are here to represent the local scouting groups, perhaps it might be best to help the OP with their query rather than çoncentrating on being defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Porterstown has a waiting lists. I assume the rest of the groups are busy too because you see them out on hikes and camps.

In my experience a lot of local groups (and I don't just mean scouts/cubs) have a token website or facebook, but don't use them at all.

Contact is usually through phone calls and txts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Thanks for all the replies, I was contacted by one of the leaders and got some more details. It seems the twitter feed https://twitter.com/blanch_scouts and email address Blanchardstownscoutgroup@gmail.com are the best ways of getting info. As a former scout leader I appreciate all the effort that these volunteers put in day to day so having a major online presence is not always possible.

Good to hear she contacted you and you got the information you needed

Advertisement