Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandmaster Flash

• 30-10-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I had the misfortune of attending the Grandmaster's gig in the Savoy last night (it was a double bill, and I was there for the thoroughly excellent Pee Wee Ellis).

I seen Flash at Electric Picnic a few years back. Even then he was something of a novelty act, but from what I remember he was true to form and belted out some old-school breaks, hip hop and funk (although he wasn't very good).

But last night was different. In fact, it ranks as the worst performance by a professional DJ that I've ever witnessed.

He was poking about on his Mac for a bit at the start. In retrospect, I can see that he was loading up his intended playlist, because from what I seen he made little use of Serato/Traktor during his set.

His first few songs contained Under Pressure, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Let's Dance, Seven Nation Army and Bille Jean. It continued in this vein, and was still continuing when I walked out. I've never before stood in front of a DJ, and was able to name check every artist, song and album for 40 mins.

He stopped the music at one stage, proclaiming "Grandmaster Flash. The first DJ to use a turntable as an instrument. The first DJ to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." Then he deliciously dropped a piece of commercial crap not befitting his own legacy.

He didn't actually mix, or perform in any way. Just the same irritating baby scratch before dropping in each track.

If he was actually 'feeling' what he was doing then so be it. It would be me that didn't 'get it'. But he was there to pick up a cheque. Simple as that.

Repulsive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what a pity it was shíte. I was hoping/thinking it would be a great night, obviously not. I would have thought he'd display some turntablism for all to savour but obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Shocking to hear that but unfortunately he isn't the only "legendary" DJ who just thinks they can turn up thesedays and not even make an effort and serve up utter rubbish,sounds awful sorry you had a bad night.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Ah, cheers man :p

I had a decent night actually. Pee Wee Ellis (James Brown's saxophonist) was there with a full backing band. Technically he was the support act, but he should have been the headliner. Funky as hell. Great entertainment!

Advertisement