Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I think it'll be tight, but i think you should get tcd. Possibly not the first round but if you get it in round 1 i'd imagine you'll get it in round 2. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

I got 605 points in the leaving and 169 in the hpat. This adds up to 730, do ye think I'm safe to get into galway? Don't want to get my hopes up before Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

Is getting into Galway with 722 still probable? As a lot of people with 724 and higher seem to be going for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Sorry guys was just wondering how the HPAT scores and CAO points are added together. Looking above to other posts, it seems it isn't as simple as just adding them together. I'm a bit confused???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Sorry guys was just wondering how the HPAT scores and CAO points are added together. Looking above to other posts, it seems it isn't as simple as just adding them together. I'm a bit confused???
    With the LC results, every 5 points above 550 is only counted as 1 point; so 615 becomes 563, 570 become 553 etc.
    Then the HPAT results are added on to give you your total score :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

For your LC points, every 5 points over 550 is counted as one point. For example, if you get 560, that's 10 points over 550 so that 10 becomes 2 and is added on to 550 which makes 552. 552 is added on to your HPAT score. (No adjustment made to HPAT score).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Cheers guys, makes sense now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

combined total of 723.. Have galway down as first choice. What do ya think my chances are??

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

combined total of 723.. Have galway down as first choice. What do ya think my chances are??

I'd say very very likely. Points for medicine are predicted to either stay around the same or drop 1-2. Even if you don't get an offer first round you're nearly sure to get a 2nd round one. Congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Does anyone know some of the scores last year people got who got Galways top 10 entrance scholarship?

In 2013 I saw that someone got it with 761 which, adjusting for the since 15 point average HPAT drop, would equal 746. Would I be justified in fancying my chances then with 749?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that was a thing, does it happen in every college or just nuig? And is there any extra benefits or just bragging rights? :P i think you have a great chance, good luck! wonder if ucd has it... :pac:

Does anyone know what the hours for premed are like? Would you have lectures everyday or just a few days a week?

I didn't realise that was a thing, does it happen in every college or just nuig? And is there any extra benefits or just bragging rights? :P i think you have a great chance, good luck! wonder if ucd has it... :pac:

Bragging rights and €1500 :pac: I think Cork do something similar. Only NUIG's one technically rewards your HPAT(Hence top 10 points total) I think. UCD have Ad Astra if you've applied for it!

Does anyone know what the hours for premed are like? Would you have lectures everyday or just a few days a week?

All I know is that there's like 12-14 hours a week. Arts-like hours. Chances are there could be a day off completely during he week with hours like that.

I'd say very very likely. Points for medicine are predicted to either stay around the same or drop 1-2. Even if you don't get an offer first round you're nearly sure to get a 2nd round one. Congrats :)

How come they're predicted to drop?

Gallagher1 wrote:
    Bragging rights and €1500 I think Cork do something similar. Only NUIG's one technically rewards your HPAT(Hence top 10 points total) I think. UCD have Ad Astra if you've applied for it!
    I didn't expect to do so well so i didn't apply for ad astra (i know i know woe is me :P ) so i'm just desperately searching for a reward for all the work i did in the hpat and leaving. getting medicine will be the reward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Medesire

My top 3 choices were:
    TCD
    UCD
    NUIG
    Opening the leaving cert I got 565 (553 med points) which I was disappointed with, however I managed to achieve 726 which gives me a safe cushion for Galway but not enough for Dublin.

I wish someone slapped me in the face! I was disappointed but I still got my course! That's all that matters guys it's same lectures and degree and the initials after the degree do not matter be it TCD UCD NUIG UCC RCSI, they're all about social status really, it's the same information all of us meds are learning.

And looking at Galway it's a beautiful college and area and I'm looking forward to going there definitely, can't wait for it really!

And to those who got TCD or UCD well done it's an outstanding achievement, to those who have missed out on medicine it's not the end of the world and repeating is there for a reason.

Medesire wrote: »
    And to those who got TCD or UCD well done it's an outstanding achievement, to those who have missed out on medicine it's not the end of the world and repeating is there for a reason.

This isn't viable for those of us who have done the HPAT /three/ times and cannot repeat the LC again and for some of us getting medicine would mean the World. Thanks anyway.

mlfaw wrote: »
    This isn't viable for those of us who have done the HPAT /three/ times and cannot repeat the LC again and for some of us getting medicine would mean the World. Thanks anyway.

First of all if you had to repeat that HPAT 3 times then obviously you don't have the aptitude desired by the Unis for medicine and secondly if the only thing that matters in the whole entire world is medicine then you need to explore the world, you seem very narrow minded. You're welcome anyway.

First of all if you had to repeat that HPAT 3 times then obviously you don't have the aptitude desired by the Unis for medicine and secondly if the only thing that matters in the whole entire world is medicine then you need to explore the world, you seem very narrow minded. You're welcome anyway.

If you truly believe that it's designed to test aptitude for Medicine and not to get cash quick then you are very foolish. I never said it's the only thing but for /some/ of us is a major thing. Good luck.

• Advertisement

My top 3 choices were:
    TCD
    UCD
    NUIG
    Opening the leaving cert I got 565 (553 med points) which I was disappointed with, however I managed to achieve 726 which gives me a safe cushion for Galway but not enough for Dublin.

I wish someone slapped me in the face! I was disappointed but I still got my course! That's all that matters guys it's same lectures and degree and the initials after the degree do not matter be it TCD UCD NUIG UCC RCSI, they're all about social status really, it's the same information all of us meds are learning.

And looking at Galway it's a beautiful college and area and I'm looking forward to going there definitely, can't wait for it really!

I'm sorry but I'd say it's an "outstanding achievement" wherever you're going. Just because you're going to NUIG for med doesn't mean you're any less of a student. That outlook is kind of insulting. I have more than enough points for TCD or UCD but want to go to Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Daisies97

woah ok i really dont think its fair to label him as narrow minded from that comment? one of the main focuses of section two of the hpat is ensuring we're empathetic and understanding with regards to peoples feelings? medicine has been a dream for many of us for years and i really dont understand how you could condemn anyone for that? obviously mflaw is feeling the stress and frankly he has every right to? i have 722 so i know exactly what its like dealing with this uncertainty.

I'm sorry but I'd say it's an "outstanding achievement" wherever you're going. Just because you're going to NUIG for med doesn't mean you're any less of a student. That outlook is kind of insulting. I have more than enough points for TCD or UCD but want to go to Galway...

I don't mean that way at all, in the post I inferred that it was nearly a bad thing going to TCD or UCD making them sound snobbish but I acknowledge getting into NUIG is stil outstanding it's just where I'm from TCD is seen as elite so obviously growing up with that you start to believe it

Daisies97 wrote: »
    woah ok i really dont think its fair to label him as narrow minded from that comment? one of the main focuses of section two of the hpat is ensuring we're empathetic and understanding with regards to peoples feelings? medicine has been a dream for many of us for years and i really dont understand how you could condemn anyone for that? obviously mflaw is feeling the stress and frankly he has every right to? i have 722 so i know exactly what its like dealing with this uncertainty.

I'm empathetic when it's deserved, I don't see how you could have medicine as a dream for many years as no student really knows what they want to do, medicine is only a big deal to student if they have pushy parents

I don't mean that way at all, in the post I inferred that it was nearly a bad thing going to TCD or UCD making them sound snobbish but I acknowledge getting into NUIG is stil outstanding it's just where I'm from TCD is seen as elite so obviously growing up with that you start to believe it

Whether you meant it or not that's how it's presented, maybe your interpersonal skills need a touch up, perhaps a failing of the Unis who are designed to ward of people like me who obviously aren't capable enough to perform in that section of the HPAT.

I'm empathetic when it's deserved, I don't see how you could have medicine as a dream for many years as no student really knows what they want to do, medicine is only a big deal to student if they have pushy parents

1) Meeeoooowwwwww

2) "Medicine is only a big deal to students if they have pushy parents"
    Biggest load of b3llsh1t I've seen on this thread to date. How can you say that??

What?? Are you kidding? How can you make a blanket statement like that? I've wanted to do nothing but medicine since I was 13 years old. Maybe you didn't have a clue what you wanted to do until recently but you can't speak for everyone and make a gross generalization like that. And my parents put me under no pressure whatsoever, in fact they were trying to convince me not to go for it.

mlfaw wrote: »
    Whether you meant it or not that's how it's presented, maybe your interpersonal skills need a touch up, perhaps a failing of the Unis who are designed to ward of people like me who obviously aren't capable enough to perform in that section of the HPAT.

Yeah your performance was lacking in character

What?? Are you kidding? How can you make a blanket statement like that? I've wanted to do nothing but medicine since I was 13 years old. Maybe you didn't have a clue what you wanted to do until recently but you can't speak for everyone and make a gross generalization like that. And my parents put me under no pressure whatsoever, in fact they were trying to convince me not to go for it because of the tough working conditions.

When I was 13 I went outside and played around

• Advertisement

When I was 13 I went outside and played around

That's wonderful. By all means speak for yourself but you don't need to for everyone else.

Aaaaaand I'm done. Couldn't be bothered replying to this crap anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement