Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

She had an amazing voice. I've got her in Divas Of Jazz and a few other comp cds. Peace At Last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The wonderful singing talent of Etta will be so sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

David Simon co founder of the Chopra Centre died yesterday. A real gentleman who certainly inspired me with his books and I found it so refreshing that he was a qualified doctor who believed in the whole body/mind connection when treating illnesses. He will be sadly missed. It is true what they say "only the good die young":(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ben Gazarra died Friday aged 81yrs. Watched him in a TV series many years ago, might have been 'Run for your Life'
    Storyline

"Ben Gazzara plays a successful lawyer who in the first episode is told by his doctor that he will die in one to two years. He decides to do all of the things he has never had time for. The program becomes a series of plays in which he meets a wide variety of people from bums riding the rails, to gigolos, to orphans and becomes a man who has little fear of death and everything but time. "

I think I may have seen him in another lawyer role "Arrest & Trial". Does anyone remember if this was on RTE in the 60's, because we only had RTE then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

Not sure about "Arrest & Trial"

He was an acclaimed theater actor, and also starred in arthouse films such as "The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie" which I saw in a film club in Athlone in the early 80's and thought was the most boring film of all time.

• Advertisement

Whitney Houston dead ........ sad end to a seemingly charmed life. RIP

Couldn't sleep so I popped on here to see what's up and very sorry to hear about Whitney Houston. What lives some people live, and such a sad end.

And poor auld David Kelly. RIP

Rashers, O Reilly etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

^^yes indeed..RIP...loved him in Waking Ned too..

So very sorry to hear about David Kelly, I hadn't heard. Loved him as Rashers, nobody else could have done it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

morning all,sad news this morning that frank carson has died, he lived in blackpoo,l i have had the luck to have met him on a number of occasions,he had the ability to remember your name,and when he spotted you walking down the road he would call out to you,with his loud northern irish accent, every one in blackpool now knows my name,he would tell you a fuuny to get you laughing,all the old dears would come over so he would give them a hug and flirt,he spent most of the summer season on central pier doing his act, its going to be a lot quieter down here frank,but i bet its very noisy up their, RIP [without the peace bit]

getz wrote: »
    morning all,sad news this morning that frank carson has died, he lived in blackpoo,l i have had the luck to have met him on a number of occasions,he had the ability to remember your name,and when he spotted you walking down the road he would call out to you,with his loud northern irish accent, every one in blackpool now knows my name,he would tell you a fuuny to get you laughing,all the old dears would come over so he would give them a hug and flirt,he spent most of the summer season on central pier doing his act, its going to be a lot quieter down here frank,but i bet its very noisy up their, RIP [without the peace bit]

Aw, poor old Frank. It was always the way he told 'em!! He always made me laugh out loud! It was rare that I'd hear anything verging on 'blue' from Frank, and even then it was only a light shade of 'blue'. Frank reminds me of another guy who could/can make me laugh out loud, 84 years young now, but I don't want to mention his name in this thread, you all know him, toothy chap, with a feather duster!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Hal Roach R.I.P.

Will always remember him advertising Quinsworth supermarket with Pat Quin.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

policarp wrote: »
    Hal Roach R.I.P.

Was just trying to remember who he was as I read this and the local station decided to play some of his gags. Strange when your going puts a smile on someone's face :confused: R.I.P

Hey Pulse, if you can't remember Hal Roach you are wayyyyyyyy too young for O & O's. :D God bless you Hal, you weren't my favourite but a grand old trouper all the same.

Hal did our Christmas party many years ago (company do).

When you are actually in a live audience with him.. he wasn't funny either.

Still,humour is a very individual thing so RIP Hal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Davy Jones...The Monkees ...RIP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Cicero wrote: »
    Davy Jones...The Monkees ...RIP:(

Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you at the station

Oh no, not my pin-up boy! I never expected to hear this. I'm so sorry you're gone pretty Davy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Barney McKenna of The Dubliners died suddenly this morning.
    A real character and an innovator of banjo playing.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement

Jim Marshall,creator of the Marshall amp,aka "The King Of Loud" died yesterday.

Those giant stacks behind your favourite rock bands,they were his.

Wicked rumour might suggest that most of them weren't actually wired up but...

Marshall-608x526.jpg

Thomas Kinkade, artist, died - his work seemingly was not respected by the 'fine art' sector. I thought his paintings were amazing. If you don't know him, search him in Google Images.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thomas Kinkade, artist, died - his work seemingly was not respected by the 'fine art' sector. I thought his paintings were amazing. If you don't know him, search him in Google Images.

Wonderful paintings I have to agree. Especially his mountains series.

RIP to both Kinkade and Marshall. Two people who changed things for the better in many ways I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry to hear of the death of anyone at such an early age, but his paintings? No, sorry, don't see the attraction, way too sugar coated.

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the death of anyone at such an early age, but his paintings? No, sorry, don't see the attraction, way too sugar coated.

I understand what you mean all right about the paintings but I wish I could paint, anything, often wondered how on earth he painted those pictures. I prefer them to modern art, but some folk might say they are a bit like that painting of the Spanish dancer in the red dress that everyone seemed to have over their mantle-piece in the 70's. I still think Kinkade was gifted. Sorry for being OT.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I understand what you mean all right about the paintings but I wish I could paint, anything, often wondered how on earth he painted those pictures. I prefer them to modern art, but some folk might say they are a bit like that painting of the Spanish dancer in the red dress that everyone seemed to have over their mantle-piece in the 70's. I still think Kinkade was gifted. Sorry for being OT.

You are not OT, that's your preference! It would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes :D

Sorry, if my post seems a bit strange, I read OT as OTT :o The response still stands :)

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry, if my post seems a bit strange, I read OT as OTT :o The response still stands :)

I thought that's what happened but no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

And a final "goodnight, now and thnaks" to Levon Helm, drummer and occasional singer with The Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Louis le Brocquy
    I was at an art auction when a Le Brocquy print came up for sale. After a hasty argum...negotiation with the missus I was allowed bid up to €2000. Sweaty hands and a belly full of butterflies the bidding started...at €3500. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement