UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!! - Page 120 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Today, 04:15   #1786
BigStupidGuy

Guys, sorry to chime in, but I've some experience here too.

I originally applied for Erbil too. I got an email about English language teachers there and applied alongside Bahrain. My family weren't happy but I was adamant that Iraq/Erbil was safe. The woman who interviewed me did so holding a baby and several times the internet failed. It didn't speak wonders about the place to be honest. Eventually in the second interview it was just audio. I mean surely the school must have good internet right?... She was also making sure I knew about the "situation" there, which I was surprised she brought up since I though it was "supposed to be safe". Also, accommodation there is 40mins driving from the school, so you're going to have really frickin' long days there.

Lastly, I still wasn't sure I made the right choice in coming to Bahrain, but I've met several teachers here from Iraq... they were all absolutely SHOCKED when I told them I originally wanted to go to Erbil. They insisted that it just was not safe, despite my intention to stay in Erbil.

That's all I know, hand to heart about Sabis in Erbil. Take from it what you will

Oh and I'm sure that most of the kids in Sabis Erbil are most likely locals (since most expats wouldn't want to travel there), behavior (my hunch) is probably disgustingly bad. But they do pay a little more there I think!
Advertisement
Today, 05:01   #1787
Tom Dunne
Still hazy, after all these beers

You are applying to work in a semi-autonomous region of a failed state in one of the most volatile regions of the world.

Seriously, look past the dollar signs and have a proper think about it.

What consular assistance is there should something go wrong? How easy is it go get back home? What are the social amenities like? What is the infrastructure like? What is the telecommunications infrastructure like (being easily able to communicate with loved ones is vital when you move abroad)? Are there any restrictions on you practicing your faith? Any restrictions on women? What is your get-out clause should you not like it? What are the school facilities like? And so on.

Far too many questions. I honestly think you would be nuts to consider working in Iraq.
Thanks from:
Today, 08:31   #1788
BigStupidGuy

Actually, on top of that I get a lot of emails from Sabis telling me teaching positions have opened in Erbil and if I want to apply.
Today, 16:47   #1789
Eva H

My husband and I are moving to Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE in August.
We are going teaching
We have 2 children and are worried about childcare. Can anyone give me any suggestions please.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion