Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Irish Translator

• 30-01-2002 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I was wondering if anyone knows of an online translator for Irish. I have done a lot of searching but haven't turned anything decent up.

Thanks...:)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Been looking for one for myself for a long time,
    Guess its a time to still stick to the 'ol dictionary :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 paris

lol yeah...that's what I figured - thanks for the reply. At least now I know it's not just me who can't unearth one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

why bother its a dead language... its hard and well i dont like it very much

bah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Kraken

bah

as unhelpful replies go, you're really taking the cake there Kraken...

so let me get this straight - you're saying not to bother translating things to Irish because it's an old difficult language that you dislike.

:eek: how idiotic can you get?

If you've nothing useful to say then there's a lot to be said for saying nothing. If you've no interest in the Irish language then don't bother posting on the Gaeilge board.

--

Unfortunately I don't personally know of any translation services on the web which cover the Irish language.

Hopefully, Google, which allows you to use their site through irish will add the language to their translator at some stage... it's well worth keeping an eye on the site, or firing off an email to Google themselves to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Dúirt Bard

Unfortunately I don't personally know of any translation services on the web which cover the Irish language.

Níl a leithéid ann. Agus is rud an-dheacair é, teanga a aistriú go huathoibríoch go teanga eile. Go bhfios dom, níl éinne ar bith ag obair ar inneal aistriúcháin don Ghaeilge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

i used to have a motorola t2288??? the blue wap phone, anyway i know when i went into the wap home-page (wap.eircell???) it had an irish translator on it, if i can find it on the web i'll let ya know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Kraken

bah
    So your denieing your heritage. i mean i don't know much i irish anymore but I wish i did. I would like to have anyother language that we could speak. i think it would be really cool if all of ireland spoke fluent irsh and english. But ohwell thats not going to happen anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

If a good doesn't exist would anyone like to create one? I would be happy to help in any way I could.

One can't do very much about some people's hostility toward the Irish language, but I must say in the months that I've been reading Boards.ie I have been truly shocked by the constant and widespread disregard for spelling, punctuation, and grammar in English....

Tá rogha idir dhá theanga againn in Éirinn; b'fhiú máistreacht a dhéanamh thar ceann acu ar a laghad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

It should be possible to write an asp (or) php page that would take a word or string of words (delimited by say \x20 or space(so you could pass in a scentence)) and then look those words up in an sql database.

That "should" be relatively easy, tho a scentence would be parsed back out in the original language's order so while the string might be etymologically correct it would be gramatically a throw away.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Machine translation is enormously complex, all the more so when you consider the orthographic and grammatical complexity of modern Irish. If anyone here is serious about it, I could try to put you in touch with some computational linguists in Norway who might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

computational linguists in Norway
    Sounds interesting.

What I would say is that it would be 'relatively' simple to have a website that would run php with an sql backend that could 'parse' singular words or phrases of words (scentences) and simply throw out the appropiate translation albeit gramatically incorrect.

If you build some serious lingustic logic into the sql queries somewhere, or had prolog or lisp doing some serious logic crunching for you, it might be possible to have a bash at parsing scentences restructuring the scentence and tenses where appropiate, tho as I have never undertaken something like that I can't comment on how 'easy' of 'difficult' such logical (language crunching) would be.
    That said it is better to try and fail then to simply fail to try no?

Still relatively simple and fast sql could 'probably' be written to do the word/mangled_scentence scrunching and mangeling.
    /I suppose\.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 paris

FatBastard - thanks, I would be interested in the URL if you can locate it.

I would even like some site where you could translate single words - not even complex sentences - although that would be great :)

paris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

Originally posted by Doctúir
    http://www.topstudy.com/wap/index.wml#intro

When I click on that, Explorer asks me what do do with it, as it is a .wml file. So what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

It's a WAP site. (Uses XML instead of just HTML)

Opera support WAP, so try the site with that.

Tim

Ah. It is a word translator, not a phrase translator. For "ríomhaire" I got "computer" but for "tá mé ag iarraidh rud a fhoghlaim" I got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

Yoda wrote: »
    Machine translation is enormously complex, all the more so when you consider the orthographic and grammatical complexity of modern Irish. If anyone here is serious about it, I could try to put you in touch with some computational linguists in Norway who might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Aw!
    'computational linguists in Norway!

i'd never looked at it that way, 21st century Irish. As we all are.
    Its a living language as long as we speak and harken after it.
    Harken? you know what i mean.
    Im here in Caglari, and after three weeks on my own again in a foreign country i am once more reminded of how unique our irish character is amongst our european neighbors.
    We should be (and mostly are) proud of our national characteristics, without nationalistic pretences. To be able to exercise our cultural individuality, through a common and unique language, is a right for all of us but can only be achievable through personal effort.
    which is why i wrote this in English. and not even particularly fluent at that.
    But even those of us who disregard the Irish language and take up a position that seems still influenced by the demands of history: Irish as the 'old' language, best discarded for its lack of utility and association with our more humble past. Even those without a word of Irish or the slightest dash of appreciation for their natural tongue will enthusiastically engage any foreigner at length on the subject of the intricacies of
    Hiberno-English, and insist that we are in this way linguistically unique -in our usage of english.
    Well, linguistically and culturally distinct we are, and there is no question; we all know it, especially when we go abroad (not to UK or US).
    So isn't it obvious that in this changing world where people end up in conflict over loss of cultural identity, isn't it only right that we should strive, in our own individual and personal ways, to define and preserve some common identity with the people that i feel most at home with -The Irish.
    Thats why I'm going to learn irish, as soon as i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

agus saor in aisce? Níl aon leithscéal!
    and free of charge? There's no excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

focal do do mhátair. Níl aon leithscéal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hazel D

is there anything in particular you want translated?
    i am fluent in irish if you want anything!

Advertisement