Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Ratoath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

Baggies wrote: »
    Sorry for the thread revival, just looking for an update from those who moved down recently to see how they are getting on and those who were thinking of moving, did you go in the end?

We are very close to selling our house in south Dublin and making the move but we are just a bit cautious of the difference between the schools, I started a new thread about it in this section (Can't post the link as new user)

Not sure what you are specifically asking. There are 2 primary schools and one secondary school.

IMO, they are generally good - I'm particularly impressed with the secondary school (Ratoath College).

How they compare to schools you have used before is hard to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Baggies

Thanks for the reply, just looking for people's opinions on the primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

Thanks for the reply, just looking for people's opinions on the primary schools?

There is the original Ratoath National School - now divided into a junior and senior school. These are both on the same grounds but effectively run independently. I'm not impressed by the head-mistress of the junior school, but the teachers are good. The senior school is run better IMO.

There is also St. Paul's - a relatively new school. I have no direct experience of it, but haven't really heard anything significantly bad (other than parking and access difficulties).

Like any school, the catch often comes down to particular teachers. Some are better than others. We have had 4 children go through the National School - and I'd say that only one teacher would have been poor.

I hope that helps.

b318isp wrote: »
    There is the original Ratoath National School - now divided into a junior and senior school. These are both on the same grounds but effectively run independently. I'm not impressed by the head-mistress of the junior school, but the teachers are good. The senior school is run better IMO.

There is also St. Paul's - a relatively new school. I have no direct experience of it, but haven't really heard anything significantly bad (other than parking and access difficulties).

Like any school, the catch often comes down to particular teachers. Some are better than others. We have had 4 children go through the National School - and I'd say that only one teacher would have been poor.

I hope that helps.

It does greatly, thank you for that.
    You are correct, its down to the teachers but I feel that you need a strong head of school also but often its hard to get both and its the teachers that deal with the kids every day so thats the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Popmart97

Like previous posters, me my girlfriend and our little girl are considering a move to Ratoath. I really like the place and its ideal considering we both work on the north side of the city.

We really like the look of Steeplechase, although it seems so built-up! Are there estates you could recommend or indeed any we should avoid?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

I'd avoid Somerville estate... I'm living there nearly 10years........houses are very poorly built, suffers with limescale in the water, rubbish boiler, no insulation so always freezing cold. Alot of the residents don't seem to like kids playing in the estate either?!
    Avoid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Popmart97

Wow, some of the houses in there are quite nice too. Yeah the neighbours complaining about kids playing seems to be a common issue, not just in Ratoath. Bizarre. Well thanks for the advice, much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Hi all, may as well post in here instead of creating another moving to Ratoath thread.

I was just offered a job in Dublin, will be in the office in Merchants Quay about once a week and the rest of the time visiting clients around the greater Dublin area. My wife has some family friends living in Ratoath who have recommended we check it out. We have two young kids, 3 and 1 so places in a school would be a very important part of our decision. Has anyone who moved there recently in this thread have much information in regards to how they got on with schools?

Also, we are moving from Limerick so at the moment, all I have access to is daft.ie and I can't see many houses for rent in Ratoath on daft. Are there a lot more available through local auctioneers, etc and if so, Could someone recommend any auctioneers I could contact?

What are the average rental prices for a 3 bedroomed house in a nice estate in Ratoath?

Cheers :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Haven't a clue about schools but with regards to the rest, there are 2 auctioneers that I know of. John Fitzgerald and Ronald Duff though I think what's on Daft is pretty much it unfortunately. Google them. For a decent size 3 bed in Ratoath I would say €1,200 at a minimum, probably closer to €1,300/1,400p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Cheers Kersplat!

I rang both auctioneers just there but unfortunately, there is nothing available at the moment. I left them my name and number so hopefully something might pop up!

• Advertisement

The rental market is crazy in the area..

Good luck anyway, Ratoath is a great place to live IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ferry17

Dont hold your breath with regards to the estate agents. Keep a close eye on daft as this is your best option. Im in my second rented house in Ratoath at the moment. It took me six weeks to find rented accommodation the first time and we moved there before Christmas and it took us nearly eight weeks to find decent affordable accommodation. Three bed houses are between 1,100 and €1,400. As for the area itself, so far so good, people are friendly and plenty of small shops and sporting clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Hi I just wanted to ask a question here and I hope someone can help. I'm now living in ratoath a very short while. But I hope i don't live to regret it.talking to a neighbour last night and he told me of all the break ins that happen in the area on a regular basis. In his words he said "yeah it's pretty bad around here" he also said the estate behind our estate is fairly dodgy too with a few "heads" there. I actually thought he was joking but he was dead serious. I hope I haven't made a huge mistake on moving out here. I asked him "well do you like living here"? And he said it does me for now. Has anyone else had a bad experience of living in ratoath? It kind of shocked me to hear that from him as I thought it was a lovely area and village

I think it's a great village but I'm from here. There has been a rise in breakins recently from what I see on FB but be vigilant, use your alarm, etc and hopefully you won't have any issues.

26 years here and I've yet go have anyone even try to break in, thank God.

With regards to the 'heads' you get that in most places and considering the amount of people now in Ratoath it was bound to happen but I don't see the issue, dont go looking for trouble and you'll be grand.

Overall a great place to live IMO.

What estate are you in or what general area are you in, might be able to advise further then. You can PM if you don't want it out in the open

Well I moved in just over a week ago and I have to say we are delighted with our house and our estate. I cannot get over how welcoming and friendly everyone is!!!

Criminals are everywhere, they get around so nowhere is safe.
    I left an "affluent" area in South Dublin located beside a Garda station and we had 4 attempted break ins over a 7 year period.

As said, be vigilant and use the alarm.

Thanks all. I think I was worried over nothing. The guy I was talking to was trying to get a rise out of me I think but I was just confused at some of his comments as ive never had any problems. I'm going to go by my own experience and enjoy my life in ratoath. Thanks again guys. Yous have put my mind at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Welcome to our wonderful village Martin and baggies. I've lived here my whole life and love it. I still call it it a village but of course it's more of a town these days. Any questions you may have throw us a line, there are many local amenities for people of all ages and I'd definitely advise getting involved as the local people here are great...even all the Dubs ;)

Thanks obrieski
    It's great to get some positive feedback from you guys on here. You have all put my mind at ease. I'm loving living here I must say.

Obrieski wrote: »
    Welcome to our wonderful village Martin and baggies. I've lived here my whole life and love it. I still call it it a village but of course it's more of a town these days. Any questions you may have throw us a line, there are many local amenities for people of all ages and I'd definitely advise getting involved as the local people here are great...even all the Dubs ;)

Aw thanks!
    Its been a very long a stressful road to get here since we fell in love with the place about a year ago but now that we are sorted it was completely worth it.

There is so much going on for all ages. Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dialemma

Aw thanks!
    Its been a very long a stressful road to get here since we fell in love with the place about a year ago but now that we are sorted it was completely worth it.

There is so much going on for all ages. Incredible!

Hi Baggies

Did you say your children are 1 and 3? Mine too, well almost 2 and 4. We moved out over a year ago and hope to buy here soon but if you want any tips on child-care etc send me a pm

Emma

• Advertisement

dialemma wrote: »
    Hi Baggies

Did you say your children are 1 and 3? Mine too, well almost 2 and 4. We moved out over a year ago and hope to buy here soon but if you want any tips on child-care etc send me a pm

Emma

Hi Emma

7 & 3 so its primary school and the little one is doing free pre school hours.

Yeah my 3 year old about the start the pre school hours come September as well. One is in Millview and one in Foxlodge, both love where they are, so all good. Next to decide between the Schools though both seem to have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Guys, I'm trying to get details on the best way in and out of the city. I'm working in Ballsbridge so while the buses are fine, they only bring me to Beresford Place or Merrion Row in one case. The train from the M3 parkway is a pain because of the change-over to a packed Maynoith train and standing for an hour. Somebody did suggest driving to Ashbourne and getting the Direct service which is supposed be excellent but I'd have to get a parking space for the day without being clamped . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

There are plenty of spots to park in Ashbourne without getting clamped. You can park in the underground or multi storey car parks in the town centre free of charge. Only problem with Ashbourne at the minute is the massive road works going on at the nine mile stone end of the town which are causing massive tailbacks. There are some bus eireann buses which go to UCD in the mornings, the 7.30 from Ashbourne and 8 from Ashbourne being two to mention, don't know whether they start in ratoath or not.

On a better note, the Ashbourne Connect service which is a new direct service into the city has recently made known that they are expanding and will be putting on services from Ratoath in the near future. Don't know exact dates but they are on facebook if you search for it and the details are there i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Brilliant. That's great to know. Will check it out for sure. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Codie2011

Hi just seen your post ,just wondering did you move to ratoath yet ,my reason for asking is that I'm living in north Dublin and want to move to ratoath and I've been looking at houses for sale and steeplechase seems to be a nice area with lots of greenery ,would you recommend it ,thank you

Hi Codie, yes we are living here 3 years now, we bough in Woodlands and so far all is good. Ratoath has so much to offer for kids, lots of activities, good schools etc. The commute for me back into North Dublin is very doable and we are delighted we moved. I don't know a lot about Steeplechase but it is definitely well maintained and has lots of green space. You could try going the Ratoath Noiceboard on Facebook and ask there if any Steeplechase residents have any tips or advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Codie2011

Ah hi thanks for your reply ,I don't know much about ratoath but a few of our friends live there in foxlodge manor and coil y beig (sorry can't spell it) and milltree but steeplechase looks nice ,is there a train station nearby as my daughter goes to school in raheny she will be in 4th yr secondary when we hope to move ,she doesn't wanna change school but if it's hard to get there then I'll have to consider changing and was told ratoath college is good ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celtic Runner

Codie2011 wrote: »
    Ah hi thanks for your reply ,I don't know much about ratoath but a few of our friends live there in foxlodge manor and coil y beig (sorry can't spell it) and milltree but steeplechase looks nice ,is there a train station nearby as my daughter goes to school in raheny she will be in 4th yr secondary when we hope to move ,she doesn't wanna change school but if it's hard to get there then I'll have to consider changing and was told ratoath college is good ,

Hi Codie, we didn't move to Ratoath in the end but from what I can remember when we were checking out the area and doing dummy runs with transport into town etc was that the M3 parkway station is a 10 min drive from Ratoath and the Dunboyne stop a similar distance away. I'm open to correction though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hijacking the thread :)

Moved to Ratoath a couple of months ago from d15. Love the area so far but curious if there are any tips for areas in the vicinity for walking dogs off lead? Been walking them through the estates on leash and bringing them to phoenix park or st Catherine's a few times a week for a run around. Any closer parks/areas nearby for energetic dogs.

A few locals told me that they used to be allowed in the racecourse but due to owners not picking up poo, they're no longer allowed. Rathbeggan lakes , seems they're not allowed either. Any tips appreciated!

Advertisement