Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

06 TDI, Strange Problem

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Having a headache of a problem with a 2006 Golf TDI.

Basically a couple of times the last two weeks the car wouldn’t start, there didn’t appear to be any pattern or logic to it and not OBD Codes to be read.

There were mornings I could turn the key first time and it would start, and mornings where I’d need to try 4 or 5 times before I would get going. Before anyone mentions cold mornings we should all know by now that modern diesel engines shouldn’t find this an issue, but anyway I could drive for an hour, turn engine off then try start again and still have the same problem.

Anyway, last Friday the problem got worse, every time I stopped at a junction or set of lights the car wouldn’t even try idle. The rev counter would literally go from 3,000 or whatever to zero and then just die. Then not start again until the 3rd or 4th attempt.

Saturday it had appeared to recover and ran perfect for the whole entire day, then on Sunday died again

Any ideas before my VW kill me on a price just to look at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

not sure. What mileage? Original Irish car?

Your not using that cheap ass Tesco diesel are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Get some one with vag-com to scan the car for you to see if there are any fault codes logged. I can do it if your around Dublin.

If there are codes logged you can google the code and there is a good chance you will be able to find what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

My dad had a similar problem on a 2.5TD Opel Omega about 6 years ago.
    It was simply a belt issue that was slipping. Not sure this is what is happening with your car but the best bet is to bring it into VW and let them check it over.
    For all you know you could be doing more damage than good at the moment... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Well see this is it, The other morning I thought there might have been a error code hiding and hooked up the vagcom and found it had no codes stored :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Well see this is it, The other morning I thought there might have been a error code hiding and hooked up the vagcom and found it had no codes stored :S

Ok, that's different. Try disconnecting your airflow sensor and go for a quick spin to see if it improves, if the car is better with it disconnected it's your Maf that needs to be replaced.
    Don't forget to reconnect it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

not sure. What mileage? Original Irish car?

Your not using that cheap ass Tesco diesel are you?

Nope using Statoil, always have.
    Its an English Import with 28,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Could be impending fuel pump failure..

Have a read of this thread..refers to Passat but probably the same

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376880&highlight=passat

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

sounds very like a diesel pump problem
    very common fault on the new two litre vag engines
    as far as i know its either a recall or should be covered under warranty
    talking to a car transporter on sunday and he told me he has lifted at least twenty passats since the summer with the same symptons and all bar one had a faulty pump
    for a quick fix try tapping it with a hammer
    as far as i know its behind the rear seats

Advertisement