Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

chanting

• 28-05-2006 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone on this list chant nam-myoho-renge-kyo?
    If so I amlooking for people to chant with while I am in Cork for the next two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

khalvo wrote:
    Does anyone on this list chant nam-myoho-renge-kyo?
    If so I amlooking for people to chant with while I am in Cork for the next two weeks.
    Yep, me. Have been doing so for 21 years. PM me and I can probably give you a contact number in South Dublin that can connect you to Cork
    NHRK:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

What does it mean?

zag wrote:
    What does it mean?
    What does what mean? Chanting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Asiaprod wrote:
    What does what mean? Chanting?

:) Or the: "nam-myoho-renge-kyo"? ;)

Somebody here who knows?
    Or doesn't the meaning of the words matter?

Regards,

Maitri

PS: Did you get my PM, Asia?

maitri wrote:
    :) Or the: "nam-myoho-renge-kyo"? ;)

Somebody here who knows?
    Or doesn't the meaning of the words matter?

Regards,

Maitri

PS: Did you get my PM, Asia?
    Hi Maitri, I did indeed, good luck with the finals. Answer in progress. Plato rocks
    As mentioned above, I have been chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo for 21 years now. I am very aware of what it means. I am just waiting for clarification from Zag as to his question.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Asiaprod wrote:
    Hi Maitri, I did indeed, good luck with the finals. Answer in progress.

Ah, good! I thought so. Thanks! :)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Plato rocks

Yes, indeed!:) (...ecxept when he talks about cruel upbringing of children and totalitarian and strict rules for poor philosophers in Book V of The Republic - but does he really mean it? Oh, Sorry - another digression...:o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Sorry, I was away yesterday. What does "nam-myoho-renge-kyo" mean.

zag wrote:
    Sorry, I was away yesterday. What does "nam-myoho-renge-kyo" mean.
    Hi Zag,
    In answer to your question. Do you remember in this post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922217) I started to list and talk about all the Buddhist schools. I mentioned my school and explained in the thirteenth century a Japanese monk named Nichiren (1222-1282) was responsible for bringing a new perspective to the practice of Buddhism. The focus for this practice came to rest on reciting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which can be roughly translated as 'Honor to the Lotus Sutra of the True Teaching'. Nichiren believed that the essence of the Buddha's teachings resided in the Lotus Sutra, a key text of Mahayana Buddhism.
    The Lotus Sutra was spoken by Shakyamuni Buddha before he entered Nirvana. It is the Buddha's ultimate teaching i.e. the most final Dharma, containing his final revelation on the universality of salvation, the true nature of Buddhahood, and the best and universally applicable means of attaining Buddhahood. (See this site, http://www.buddhistdoor.com/bdoor/archive/sutra_comm/lotus/lotus1.htm).

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is a literal phonetic translation of the original Chinese Miao-fa-Lien-hua Ching. Nam, a Japanese honorific for devotion was placed in front. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo literally mean " I devote my life to the mystic law of the Lotus Sutra". People of my school, the most famous being Herbie Hancock and Tina Turner, recite this as a mantra, like other schools do during meditation (not all meditation is silent. We call this Chanting. It is a very powerful method of drawing good fortune to oneself, drawing power to overcome personal problems, and part of the path to enlightenment. As I mentioned above, and in other posts, the Lotus Sutra was the final sutra, encapsulating all other sutras that the Buddha expounded. It was the final piece of the puzzle, and it sure has worked for me.

Advertisement