Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S^3 apps & games (N8, C7, C6, E7 etc)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dr ro wrote: »
    nice one thanks. I'll give it a go.

it's taking a long time to install it.is that right?

Sorry didnt see your edit, ye it takes awhile to install alright. How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

it took ages. Seemed to install qt developer to laptop. Not sure if i needed that but i did manage to get qt onto the phone so, Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

dr ro wrote: »
    it took ages. Seemed to install qt developer to laptop. Not sure if i needed that but i did manage to get qt onto the phone so, Thanks for that.
    thats what i got to,yet i dont know how to install qt to phone?
    not a tech head so i would like some help please.
    cant find qt on my phone thru it??can any one help me.
    simple walkthru please thanks.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

deco nate wrote: »
    thats what i got to,yet i dont know how to install qt to phone?
    not a tech head so i would like some help please.
    cant find qt on my phone thru it??can any one help me.
    simple walkthru please thanks.:)

This pretty much explains it.........let me know if you need more help

Davy wrote: »
    Download from here:> http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/Tools/

Then go to the symbian ^3 Qt 4.7.3 folder and install:

Qt 4.7.3,
    Qt Mobility 1.1.3
    and QtWebkit for 4.7.3

Disconnect the usb, reboot the phone and you should be ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

you Should find qt folder in your start menu, where you can install from.

• Advertisement

sorry guys,i can find qt sdk from my start button on my laptop.but what do i do then?i can see qt creator..and...qt linguist?were do i go from here?
    am i missin something?
    ps.thanks for helping me out.

You want to find the Ot sdk folder, and then the S^3 4.7.3 folder inside it

thank you davy,dr ro..u da men,cos that was were i went wrong.again
    thank you both.im back up an running:D

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Can you download these to computer and then install on phone, wifi is down for the time being?

Add /download to the url after whichever one you want. It wont work with them all but shouldn't be a problem with the .sis ones

So fruit ninja is :
    http://store.ovi.com/content/120075

So make it:
    http://store.ovi.com/content/120075/download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Molome is a nice little picture blogging app similar to instagram on iOS. Has some filter effects that let you play around with picture before posting.
    It will also sync pics to facebook/twitter.

It's available here. More info on molo.me

Also, for anyone using the '/download' workaround to download apps that are free on OVI directly to PC, if you have a file that won't install (eg. the ones that end .DM) remove the .DM so file ends .SIS and then open the file in a simple text editor. If you remove the first 4 lines of the file as far as the first 'z' character (leave it there)
    then save it, you should be able to install the app.
    If this doesn't work, it may be worth trying a different text editor as on my Mac, textmate didn't work but the stock text editor did...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The "Bubbles" lock-screen is back, after fixing its compatibility issues. There are a couple of new features too: particularly, you can choose which bubbles appear on-screen.

Get it here

To download, you'll need to sign in: use the same username and password you use for the app store, and it'll work.

If you've already got Bubbles installed, uninstall it first, and reboot, before installing the new one.

Once you've installed, you'll need to reboot.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-play-to
    Nokia Play To

Nokia Play To lets you show photos and videos taken with your mobile to your friends wirelessly on your TV. Or you can listen to your favourite music stored on your mobile with your home audio system. Just launch Play To, select the device and media you want to play. No configuration is needed once WLAN is on and all devices are connected to the same network.

Hi all,

Just received a quicktime movie (.mov) file taken on an iphone by email - any idea how I can play this on my C7?

It is just telling me the filetype is not supported and I can't find any suitable players for Symbian^3..

Also, the Ovi store 2.08 update which introduces 'Updates' has been made available.. good luck trying updates - all I'm getting are Installation errors! Edit - have to install each update individually to get them to complete install properly...

Thanks.

Just posted this to the N8 thread, but figure it's worth putting here as well:

Symbian Anna to be ready for roll out and released in July 2011 apparently, with a further update for N8 camera functionality to follow:

Anna Update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Finally, a bit of official "confirmation". It still took 3 months for Metoer to release the PR1.1 update, I'm hoping that was because it was a minor one.

Nokia's official announcement on Anna - current devices (N8 C7) will ship with it from July, available for existing handset owners from August.. so yet another delay!

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/06/21/symbian-anna-available-starting-july/

Opera Mobile updated to 11.10 available directly at m.opera.com

Useful app this one that hasn't been mentioned before form what I can see:

Favourite Apps

"This widget extends the default shortcut widget by providing total of 15 spots for your favorite applications. In addition the widget shows the names of the applications."

Can use the widget several times over so you can access way more form homescreens. It used to be free, but now is €1

• Advertisement

zinzan wrote:
    Nokia's official announcement on Anna - current devices (N8 C7) will ship with it from July, available for existing handset owners from August.. so yet another delay!

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...starting-july/

Read it again:
    Nokia wrote:
    If you already own one of these devices, you can download the software by the end of August.

"by", not "from". First updates will roll out at the beginning of July, for existing unbranded and SIM-free phones over the air. Branded and SIM-locked phones need their network approval before release. This is a formality, but can take time. So, while all phones will have access to the update when the end of August arrives, most will have it in July.

Going by what happened in the PR1.1 release, I guess my SIM-free phone will see the update by the end of next week, but my wife's (on O2) won't get it until the end of July. Maybe, as it's a bigger update, they might get their finger out a bit quicker, but I don't know. Meteor, I guess, will get it on 31. August, at 11:59 PM..

KrisW wrote: »
    Read it again:

"by", not "from". First updates will roll out at the beginning of July, for existing unbranded and SIM-free phones over the air. Branded and SIM-locked phones need their network approval before release. This is a formality, but can take time. So, while all phones will have access to the update when the end of August arrives, most will have it in July.

Going by what happened in the PR1.1 release, I guess my SIM-free phone will see the update by the end of next week, but my wife's (on O2) won't get it until the end of July. Maybe, as it's a bigger update, they might get their finger out a bit quicker, but I don't know. Meteor, I guess, will get it on 31. August, at 11:59 PM..

I sincerely doubt any of the Irish operators will have it released by the end of August on past performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well now lets not get too hopeful Kris....this update was supposed to be out over 6 months ago so wouldn't exactly be a chock if they left it till the last day in August going on recent form!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

KrisW wrote: »
    Read it again:

"by", not "from". So, while all phones will have access to the update when the end of August arrives, most will have it in July.

Sorry but do you really think those of us with meteor branded phones will see this by the end of august??:rolleyes:

If I see it by the end of 2011 I'd be pretty happy knowing meteor. Bear in mind they haven't released PR1.2 yet and we only got PR1.1 earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

rickyjb wrote: »
    Sorry but do you really think those of us with meteor branded phones will see this by the end of august??:rolleyes:

If I see it by the end of 2011 I'd be pretty happy knowing meteor. Bear in mind they haven't released PR1.2 yet and we only got PR1.1 earlier this month.

Was PR1.2 not just an optional release? Gsm Arena did a good review on the X7 with the Anna firmware. Would it be possible to upgrade the firmware in a nokia care centre when its released instead of waiting on the networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No they wouldn't do that! Best bet would just to be download and install it yourself via Phoenix if your in a real rush for it!

PR1.2 was an optional release, operators could skip it if they hadn't received customer complaints about the issue involved (a particular bug when connecting to some MS Exchange servers).
    .this update was supposed to be out over 6 months ago
    Nokia gave only one "date" for release of this, and that was Q1 2011. That could be 6 or 3 months ago. Every other date you'll have read (including some I passed on here) is based on rumour. Either way, I agree that it is late...

Nokia will claim that Anna is the "50 New Features" release, plus more fixes, but who knows...

The way Nokia announced the updates for the Series60 phones this week was a much better idea: a single press release saying "It's out, you'll get it from today". I hope future releases will be done this way, instead of the long, drawn-out saga that was Anna.

And for those people who actually enjoy the on-and-off waiting for unannounced software, there are now photos of Belle running on phones that are expected to ship in October/November. Start your watches... ;)

Back to software we can currently obtain/use!

Nokia betalabs just released an interesting and fun app - "Nokia 3D World Gaze".
    Still in beta, but it's an 'enhanced reality' type app for the planet earth that lets you look around/over and through the planet!

Available free here

Nokia 3D World Gaze gives you a new kind of viewpoint to the world, allowing you to see through the surface (and insides) of the planet all the way to the other side. Just point your phone to some direction and you will see reality in a way you have never seen before. In addition to geographical features such as continents in their real physical locations, Nokia 3D World Gaze allows you to see geotagged media, day and night regions, current location of the Sun, and other content from locations around the world.

New beta update to Maps - version 3.08 now, available here

Has updated interface, Symbian Anna style icons and more - official changelog:

Drive Enhancements:

Live traffic routing takes traffic information into account to avoid traffic jams automatically (available in Germany, France, US, UK and Russia).
    Turn on "Avoid traffic" in your "Route settings" to take traffic conditions into account while you drive. Always get the best route for right now.
    New Drive look & feel - home screen now has buttons for "Set destination," "Drive home" and "Just drive."
    "Just drive" or Drive assistance shows your accurate speed, gives speed warnings, the distance driven and real time traffic.
    New information bar on Drive navigation and Drive assistance screens.
    Also easily toggle between Estimated Time of Arrival in minutes or distance to your destination - just tap the icon on the screen.
    New option menus in Drive.
    Set a contact as a destination.
    Easily change your settings during Drive navigation. Changes in settings are immediate and can been seen instantly.

Additional improvements

Long tap is now available to give quick access to "Drive to," "Walk to," "Share" and various lists.
    Settings reorganized to "General" "Maps & Walk" and "Drive."

• Advertisement

If you download the maps beta, you may be asked to complete a "first impressions" survey a couple of days later.

If you have anything that bugs you about Maps, that's the place to mention it. If you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, you should probably tell them that too.. developers don't hear the positive customer feedback very often ;)

The eagle-eyed may notice that this release of Maps no longer has the Ovi branding anywhere in it.

Advertisement