Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

A look back on 20 years of Civ here

Awesome, that first screenshot filled me with nostalgia. An uncle gave me a *ahem* copy of the first Civ back in the day with no manual. I was only about 11 at the time but was so captivated by it that I played it and played it and figured almost everything out by my self. Still one of my fondest gaming memories.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

We have a demo tomorrow don't we??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The game unlocks for the US at 10 a.m, I think, (3 p.m. here) so presumably the demo should be available reasonably soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Man, Civ I's graphics were so, so much better in my memories! :p

• Advertisement

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87277

Demo available 3 p.m. Irish time, 150 turns, 3 civs to choose from, tech tree up to medieval only, and you can't change map settings (Small Continents) or Speed (Standard).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

They really should have included Alpha Centauri in that. I know it's not technically Civ, but it's definitely part of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

cant wait for it now, gutted that amazons estimated delivery date is the 29th or 30th

I have updated my drivers and am ready for Friday.

I have been thinking of getting a new, bigger screen for my PC. This might be the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hello Civ V: Goodbye free time.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

nesf wrote: »
    Man, Civ I's graphics were so, so much better in my memories! :p

lol yeah. That's exactly what I thought too.

Demo downloading in Steam.

*rubs hands in glee*

nesf wrote: »
    Demo downloading in Steam.

*rubs hands in glee*

What size is the demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

What size is the demo?

4G more or less.

Niska wrote: »
    4G more or less.

Bloody hell the full game was 4.3GB and the demo is another 4? Bah.

What size is the demo?

Yeah 4GB or thereabouts. Am extremely thankful that this coincided with me moving to a new house with a 30Mb net connection!

I have a 7 meg connection so it shouldn't take too long, I was just hoping it would be about 1GB so it would take less and I can be playing it sooner when I get in from work :)

I have a 7 meg connection so it shouldn't take too long, I was just hoping it would be about 1GB so it would take less and I can be playing it sooner when I get in from work :)

Connection speed was decent, so should download fairly fast for you. Regardless, by this stage a half hour's wait or whatever just makes the opening cinematic scenes that bit more tantalising!

Gonna take ages here in 3mb land:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

20 minutes on a 15mb connection

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

download is at 88%@780kb,almost have it :)

Download is a fair bit slower for the demo than the pre-load unfortunately.

I'm on the 30mb UPC and the pre-load was at 3.2MB/s, but the demo is only at 1MB/s

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So what are peoples first impressions of the demo?

Certainly very "pretty" UI and art wise. The layout will probably take a short while to get used to, though everything being out of the way is quite nice. I'll have to see if it's possible to shrink the size of the unit picture in the bottom left and the research icon in the top left. They seem a bit disproportionate, especially in comparison to the minimap.

Naturally enough though, it'll take a fair bit longer than the 20 mins I've had so far to see how good the actual 'meat' of the game is.

[edit] Nice one, they thought of that. There's a 'use small scale interface' in the options. It's not available in the demo, but good to know for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Played through the demo a few times now. Wow - those 150 turns just fly by.

The hexes work brilliantly and the minimalist UI is pretty and functional - though it does take a little getting used to. Everything seems to be there, you just need to dig a little.

The new features seem to work fine as well - the city states add some sense of population (not just you and the NPC Civs), and the Natural Wonders (from Civ Rev) are a nice touch, and an additional feature to landgrab over.

The ability to accelerate cultural zones by buying specific hexes is both inspired and expensive. I need to study the Social Policies (kinda like Talent Trees in World of Warcraft et al) some more, but the system seems to be intuitive and deep, with some nice options. Hopefully they can influence the game in numerous ways and not just end up with a default "uber-policy".

Can't wait 'til Friday.

Took a while to recognize the voice - it's William Morgan Sheppard. Really like the husky delivery - but miss Nimoy's a bit.

UI is very pretty, though I'm having some graphical issues with roads not drawing properly and farms only appearing on one half of a hex etc. (ATI 4850 card)

Demo is short, 100 turns. Game looks good, the limitation of one unit per unit of iron is going to make things very interesting on smaller maps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

4Gb!! I think I'll wait till I'm in college tomorrow.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'll just leave this here.

Untitled.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ohh shiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Playing as Napoleon, have only played for 2/3 hours or so but loving it so far. City states are pretty nifty and the combat is much more involving. <3 ranged land attacks by naval units. My graphics card (8600GT) is struggling a bit @ 1920 x 1080, might be time for an upgrade ):

Advertisement