Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Cider Vinegar - anyone tried it long term?

• 29-04-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

and did it help get rid of your muffin top?!

With summer starting (not that you'd guess with today's weather) I'm motivated to get off the couch, cycle to work - get my ½ hour walks in and start swimming.

I read that drinking apple cider vingar is a great natural remedy for all sorts of things - weight loss, allergies, high cholestrol, high blood pressure etc.

I bought my bottle in the food co-op on sunday (Irish and organic and unprocessed €4.95) and have started drinking it today.

I'm putting 2 teaspoons of ACV into a 500ml bottle of water and drinking that through the day.

Anyone ever tried Apple Cider Vingar?
    How much did you take?
    How long before you got bored?
    Did you notice any difference in your body?

Thanks.

Useful link about Apple Cider Vinegar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Short answer: NO.

I like apple cider vinegar, I use it in all my salad dressings, add it to jelly to make them set firmer and use them for all sorts of other things. I sometimes even drink the stuff in water. It probably has health benefits compared to ordinary vinegar, but if so, they are too subtle to show up. And I can definitely say it doesn't make weight loss any easier.

If you have a very sweet tooth, it might help to combat that. Otherwise, I woudln't lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Same as Eileen, I use it for nearly all salad dressings, pour some on any eggs I cook (nicer than it sounds :D). So been taking probably 10 tablespoons a week for about a year, switched over to it from bottle dressings when I was diagnosed with insulin problems.

I know there was a study that showed people who took some vingear with water and some bread felt fuller than those who took bread and water alone, but whether than was a strong taste exciting their tastebuds, or the actual vinegear is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

but, but, but ...all the health benefits!? :eek:

don't tell me I've been suckered again.

well I'm going to try my best to drink the 2 tsp in 500ml of water each day for a month and I'm sure I'll be letting you know that my hayfever and muffin top have disappeared and my skin is glowing like a beacon.

:D

have I fallen for another fad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Occasionally I get heartburn, with associated nausea. 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a pint of water does the trick for me to solve those problems.

Nothing else though, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

MB Lacey wrote: »
    but, but, but ...all the health benefits!? :eek:

don't tell me I've been suckered again.

well I'm going to try my best to drink the 2 tsp in 500ml of water each day for a month and I'm sure I'll be letting you know that my hayfever and muffin top have disappeared and my skin is glowing like a beacon.

:D

have I fallen for another fad
    Well that site is pretty dodgy, he's a doctor chiropracter, not an actual doctor, apple cider vinegar is one of the few things he says that won't give you cancer :rolleyes: It won't do you any harm in small doses, and if it helps even 1% that's a boost :)

• Advertisement

I reckon it's a good healthy food, much better than most vinegars and salad dressings, I just don't think it's going to turn you into a supermodel. Think of it in the same class as extra virgin olive oil, another food with lots of health benefits, but won't turn you into a supermodel either.

You didn't waste your money. Just enjoy it for what it is, don't expect miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

My parents both drank a glass of cider vineger and honey , diluted with water everynight to ' thin the blood '. It was pretty disgusting , I tried it a few times .

They used to buy it ready mixed from Holland and Barratt , something called Honeyger ( or something like that ).

Anyway , they were convinced by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tooler1

Hi ya
    the secret to acv is getting the real stuff
    the vinegar must have the mother in it
    i get mine from Down to Earth in georges street
    the brand name is Bragg it costs 4 euros
    it works for me and i take it every day

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

tooler1 wrote: »
    Hi ya
    the secret to acv is getting the real stuff
    the vinegar must have the mother in it

Hey there, sorry if I'm being thick but what does that mean?

Sort of brown stuff that looks like it's a bit off. It means it is proper ACV, not stuff that has been processed beyond recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ah ok, you learn something new everyday!

I took the ACV tablets, they did nothing for weightloss but they helped my skin which was a nice side-effect..

Advertisement