Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Playoffs 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Paully D wrote: »
    Can't wait for OKC V Spurs tonight. Tip-off is at 1:30am live on ESPN UK :)

How do you all see it going? This will be a great series full of end-to-end high scoring games. I'm taking the Spurs to win game 1 tonight, 3 point shooting will be the key here in my opinion and the Spurs have an advantage shooting 52% against the Thunder this season compared to 35% for OKC.
    Probably the hardest series to predict in the playoffs so far. SAS have such a fluid offence, always seem to be able to run a play and get good shots. OKC have a crazy fast and athletic defence though.

Do SAS have someone who can play good D on Durant? Leonard has been great on D so far but I think Durant would be too long for him to guard effectively. I can't see Boris Diaw or Bonner doing it, maybe Stephen Jackson, is he reknowned for his defence?

If I had to make a prediction for game 1 SAS to win through sheer execution of plays, solid defence and experience. The rest of the series I think OKC will find their feet and it will go to 6 or 7 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Won't be staying up for it but ESPN will replay it tomorrow

My guess is Thunder in 7. So hard to predict though as said, it is just a guess really. Hope it goes down to Game 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I'm predicting a spurs heat final.

can't wait for tonight.
    gotta love summer holidays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

insanity50 wrote: »
    I'm predicting a spurs heat final.

can't wait for tonight.
    gotta love summer holidays :D

I honestly can't separate OKC and the Spurs. It really is a coin toss. I'd tend to agree with Lafortezza in that Spurs will win tonight but OKC will find their feet as the series progresses and if I had to pick a winner I'd go for OKC in 7.

Agreed on the summer holidays comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Thunder v Spurs has the potential to be one hell of a series, could be on of those that we talk about for a while.
    I think it is an extremely intriguing game with some great matchups, Westbrook v Parker and Harden v Ginobili should be crackers.
    You have that great pick n roll with Duncan and Parker, I think Duncan will clean up around the paint in regards to rebounds and I am sure Ibaka or whoever is on him will need help when Duncan gets the ball inside.
    Then there is the big question of Durrant, I presume Leonard will try and contain him, just don't let him get in a rhythm of getting to the basket, Jackson will probably have a go at Durrant too but I think there is only so much you can do to stop him.
    Diaw and Jackson have been super pickups by Pops, he knows exactly what he can get from them.

I will probably stick with the Spurs due to the fact that they have home advantage, are in a good rhythm, pass the ball extremely well to create good shots and have the little bit extra guile.

No work tomorrow so lots of Corona and really going to enjoy this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 wexford14

Hi Everyone, need a little help here. I'm an Irish lad whose cousin is coming over with her college class from the Ohio. She asked me was there any venue in town (Dublin) that would be showing the NBA playoffs on Tuesday or Thursday? I'm not an NBA fan unfortunately, so I have no clue, but thought maybe someone in here might know of somwhere that might show it. If not, then I have a gaggle of American College kids in my front room watching ESPN America, and then I'll have to inflict Aldi beer on them, and it just starts to get difficult at that point. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

wexford14 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, need a little help here. I'm an Irish lad whose cousin is coming over with her college class from the Ohio. She asked me was there any venue in town (Dublin) that would be showing the NBA playoffs on Tuesday or Thursday? I'm not an NBA fan unfortunately, so I have no clue, but thought maybe someone in here might know of somwhere that might show it. If not, then I have a gaggle of American College kids in my front room watching ESPN America, and then I'll have to inflict Aldi beer on them, and it just starts to get difficult at that point. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Can't help with a venue in Dublin but American college girls, you're more than welcome to drop them off at mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Can't help with a venue in Dublin but American college girls, you're more than welcome to drop them off at mine :pac:

I was thinking of taking a trip to Dublin myself, what a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NBA tip off times and Irish licensing laws aren't very compatible, especailly midweek.

college class eh?

Giggity.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Anyway back on topic. OKC ran Spurs closer last night than I expected. This is so going down to game 7. Who will win? Lord knows but it is gonna be one hell of a seies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I could probably have nights in bars arranged in Dublin City Centre for the NBA Finals, but I'd need to be 100% sure there'd be a good amount of people going (i.e. at least 200) for it to work. So if there's massive interest out there and people have the ability to spread the word to a lot of basketball fans, get onto me.

Going to script so far, Spurs just seem to have it all together and the bench is very impressive, the players can slot right in there and Pops get great production out of them.
    As much as I dislike Jackson, he is a good basketball player and great defender when he wants to be, Spurs is probably the best place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Fantastic game 1 between OKC and the Spurs. The Spurs play team-basketball like the gods intended. 39 points in the fourth quarter and they hit you in so many different ways...in transition, pick-and-roll, dribble-drive, posting up, hitting guys cutting to the basket, kicking it out for 3-point shooters, it's great to watch.

Amazing as well to see guys like Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson, who looked washed-up on their former teams, playing significant roles (think Jackson played the entire 4 quarter, guarding Durant), just shows the value of a good coach.

The biggest mismatch in the series is probably Popovich vs. Scott Brooks. I don't think Brooks is a great coach, but they have so much talent you wouldn't write them off, and they led by 9 after 3 quarters. The final score flattered them a bit, they hit some meaningless 3s at the end. Biggest few games of Brooks' career coming up. Rick Carlisle got the better of him in last years conference finals, Popovich could do the same here. When you have arguably the most talented roster in the league, losing in consecutive conference finals would be an underperformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

I hadn't really considered the Spurs as legitimate contenders this year pre season.

But they are a highly impressive unit. Parker has been out of this world all year.

Still think OKC will sneak it tho, Durant is just too clutch to not hit a game winner on the road.

How boring is this Boston @ Miami game? It didn't even take until halfway through the 1st quarter to see how it was going to go. Boston can't hit a shot and Miami are all over them. It could be a very short series.

Cue Boston coming back to win tonight after I've said that :pac:

By the way:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovel
    Kevin Garnett has made $288,216,634 in his career, $3.98 million away from being the highest earner in league history (Shaq).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Don't know what's been going on with Ray Allen's shooting, sad to see.

Ridiculous technicals being called on the Celtics in this first half.

Don't know what's been going on with Ray Allen's shooting, sad to see.

Ridiculous technicals being called on the Celtics in this first half.

The Celtics certainly aren't happy about it and I can't say I blame them. Some of the calls going against them are ridiculous. Also, Miami should be -2 points as they didn't get that shot off before the buzzer near the end of the 2nd quarter, so the game should really be level now. That could prove costly.

Much improved 2nd quarter performance from Boston which has in turn lead to a much more entertaining game, fair play to them and hopefully they keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

The Celtics certainly aren't happy about it and I can't say I blame them. Some of the calls going against them are ridiculous. Also, Miami should be -2 points as they didn't get that shot off before the buzzer near the end of the 2nd quarter, so the game should really be level now. That could prove costly.

Much improved 2nd quarter performance from Boston which has in turn lead to a much more entertaining game, fair play to them and hopefully they keep it up.

Apparently they've taken that 2 off the Heat, and deservedly so. Pleasantly surprised. Now if we could only get a fairly called game for the remainder...

I thought the Celtics would be able to push Miami a lit bit harder but they just seemed a bit lethargic. KG was doing his best and Rondo plucked away all night but they didn't get anything off the rest. Ray Allen is playing the worst ball of his life I would think and Pierce didn't have anything going for most of the game.

Refs were a joke and have been so poor in these playoffs. If they can't spot 3 steps then they have no business on the floor, so frustrating to watch, Wade had such an obvious travel tonight and not even the commentators said anything. There are always a couple in every game but they concentrate on calling the softest fouls rather then the fundamental rules.

Miami played pretty well, good contributions from Battier, Chalmers and Miller, Wade was pretty good but LeBron was just sensational altogether, he just dominated that game on both ends of the floor.

Going to be tough for Rondo if Wade and LeBron switch on him in the 4th quarters. Celtics are going to need a lot more out of Pietrus, the guy can play but is under performing.

Heat, and Lebron in particular, are looking dangerous. Not sure if we can read too much into last night, though, Boston were never going to be 100% just two days after the game 7. Like I said that chatting to a friend before the game even started. So Miami were kinda flattered because of that. I think we'll have to wait til game 2 or back in Boston at game 3 to see if the teams are that unevenly matched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

leggo wrote: »
    Heat, and Lebron in particular, are looking dangerous. Not sure if we can read too much into last night, though, Boston were never going to be 100% just two days after the game 7. Like I said that chatting to a friend before the game even started. So Miami were kinda flattered because of that. I think we'll have to wait til game 2 or back in Boston at game 3 to see if the teams are that unevenly matched.

The team that has won the 1st game however has gone on to win 15 of the last 20 Eastern Conference Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

We can't overlook the fact that the Celtics had just 48 hours of a break before last night game, that series was tough for them. The Heat also went to game 7 but they had 2 extra days rest and also they are a substantially younger team. Someone above mentioned how Allen and Pierce were both way below par, well Allen is 36 and Pierce is 34. Players recover faster when they are younger, thats just common sense.

Although I think the Heat will have too much for the Celtics, I think Boston should be able to hold homecourt, and then we will see if this is a championship Miami team

The Heat up 15 points with just over 3 minutes left, and yet LeBron still can't show a bit of class, this time laughing in Garnett's face after he drew a foul:

No need for that at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

The Heat up 15 points with just over 3 minutes left, and yet LeBron still can't show a bit of class, this time laughing in Garnett's face after he drew a foul:

Big kev is well able to dish it out when he wants to.

Are you forgetting him intentionally injuring channing frye, or making fun of villaneuva's alopecia?

Dude is as classless as they come, you reap what you sow. Glad LbJ put him back in his box.

Great Miami performance I felt. Other than Rondo the celts looked an aged side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

buyer95 wrote: »
    We can't overlook the fact that the Celtics had just 48 hours of a break before last night game, that series was tough for them. The Heat also went to game 7 but they had 2 extra days rest and also they are a substantially younger team. Someone above mentioned how Allen and Pierce were both way below par, well Allen is 36 and Pierce is 34. Players recover faster when they are younger, thats just common sense.

Although I think the Heat will have too much for the Celtics, I think Boston should be able to hold homecourt, and then we will see if this is a championship Miami team

Heat only went to game 6.

You do realise that KG is widely recognised as the biggest trash talker in the game?
    Lebron shows a lot of class by not stooping to that and just laughing it off.

The team that has won the 1st game however has gone on to win 15 of the last 20 Eastern Conference Finals.

Hmm, nice stat. I wouldn't read too much into it, though, to be honest. It's hardly conclusive. I mean...does it tell us that people who play basketball in the east have a mentality that, if the first game is won, the series is over? Not really, it only happens 75% of the time. It's a stat that'd kill a good 2-minutes of airtime on 'Inside the NBA', but that's about all it's good for.

I still think Miami will win, by the way. I just don't think we learned anything we didn't know already in Game 1, except that Miami aren't buckling. And I think the Celtics will come back stronger in either Game 2 or back in Boston. So we can't look into it too much. There's a lot of ball still to be played.

Who do you reckon will win tonight then in game 2 of Spurs V OKC? Got to say I'm sticking with the Spurs again tonight. I think OKC will have to give Ibaka more minutes tonight, but home court advantage gives the Spurs the edge again in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

You really are sensitive. KG is certainly no saint when it comes to trash talk etc.

OKC win tonight for me.

Reckon they'll be really pumped, to sneak one early on the road is a huge incentive.

As said KG is no saint and a big trash talker that plays with a serious amount of intensity but for me LeBron shouldn't do that because he has a damaged enough image and stuff like this does him no favors.
    Maybe KG was taunting him the whole game and that was his release on him but if it was just for the foul then there is no need.

Another good game on the cards tonight, with the Thunder being such a good team, one would expect them to make adjustments and push the Spurs further.

• Advertisement

Tim Duncan rolling back the years there with a monster jam :eek:

Spurs up 11 at the half. Parker outscoring Westbrook by 17-8 is the main difference so far. Parker is all over Westbrook really, OKC need a much better performance from him in the 2nd half.

San Antonio are great to watch, their movement on and off the ball is superb. They really are a team.

Advertisement