Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Handshake (boot?)

• 22-05-2012 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

For there to be tax relief given to an employee on leaving, is there any tax relief on their part?

Or does it only apply to retirement/redundancy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hello,

For there to be tax relief given to an employee on leaving, is there any tax relief on their part?

Or does it only apply to retirement/redundancy?

Thanks

Generally ex-gratia payments on leaving an employment are relieved in the same way as ex-gratia payments on retirement (or redundancy).

I think that's the answer to the question you posed - though it's not the clearest bit of writing you ever did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

nompere wrote: »
    Generally ex-gratia payments on leaving an employment are relieved in the same way as ex-gratia payments on retirement (or redundancy).

I think that's the answer to the question you posed - though it's not the clearest bit of writing you ever did!!

Sorry, I don't think I've written a coherent sentence all day.

Just to confirm, it doesn't need to be a redundancy or retirment to qualify for relief?

Would they be entitled to the Basic Exemption - €10,160 and €750 per year of service without being made redundant? They are not entitled to a lump sum as part of their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

smcgiff wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't think I've written a coherent sentence all day.

I know the feeling.

The rubric to S.123 TCA 1997 refers to "General tax treatment of payments on retirement or removal from office or employment.", but the legislation itself talks in ss(1) about payments "... in connection with, the termination of the holding of an office or employment ..." and in ss(2) to " ... any payment to which this section applies made to the holder or past holder of any office or employment ..."

"Retirement" doesn't take its ordinary meaning based on those two provisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You the man, nompere!

Advertisement