Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imma gonna be an Emo

• 08-03-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

Figured I start a log here since switching from Crossfit to Weightlifting. The reason for the switch is I want to get stronger and I enjoy straight up lifting a lot particularly the olympic lifts so I figured that was the best route to it. I've joined East Coast Barbell in this pursuit. I did some beginner weightlifting sessions there last month and digged the place.

Current PRs

@ 77kg BW with belt:
    Squat - 132.5kg
    Press - 65kg
    Deadlift - 160kg
    Bench - 90kg

@ 75kg BW:
    Front Squat - 91kg with belt
    Snatch - 70kg
    Powerclean & Jerk - 95kg

The slow lifts @ 77kg were from the Crossfit Total on December 11th. I've lost a good chunk of that strength since but it should come back quickly.

The 75kg BW lifts are recent. As you can see from my front squat vs powerclean I've got a serious deficiency in my squatting I've also a weak core and my chest & elbows drop in the front squat when it gets heavy so a lot of focus will be on both squatting and bringing up my core strength.

My main focus at the moment is the Nationals coming up on May 7th I think. I just did a CFI Oly meet this Saturday and there is another one in 5-6 weeks so that'll be good to see where my lifts are at before the Nationals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Monday 7th March

Snatch
    2x3@46kg, 2x3@50kg, 3x3@52kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg,3@52kg,3@57kg,2@62kg,2@67kg,2@70kg,1@73kg

Front Squat
    3x5@60kg,3x4@70kg

Core
    3-way plank Hold
    Oblique crunches
    Swiss Ball Rolls
    Prone Swiss Ball Curls

This is my second week there. I need to get from 75kg to training weight of 80kg to fill out 77kg class properly.

EDIT: I'm not gonna bother logging warmup **** but basically I do the Kelly Starrett stuff you see on http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ and then just some overhead squats & hang snatches with the bar nothing too fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Good luck with it, brolysees.

Wednesday 9th March

Snatch
    2x3@45kg, 2x3@50kg, 2x3@52kg

Clean
    3@47kg,3@52kg,3@57kg,2@62kg,2x2@67kg,2x2@70kg

Squat
    2x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    1x6@80kg (belt from here)
    1x4@90kg
    2x3@95kg

Core
    Same^

Felt fairly crappy tonight only got 5 hours sleep and didn't have time to run through much mobility stuff either. Cleans and Squats felt hard as a result the 95kg squats particulary. For the record these are high bar full depth squats or as I like to call them communist squats. I would have been doing low bar powerlifting style aka freedom squats previously.

Snatches felt pretty good though I'm starting to hit that sweet spot on the jump where you inject a ton of speed in the bar with a lot more consistency. When you hit that the pull under the bar automatically becomes faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

token wrote: »
    Wednesday 9th March

For the record these are high bar full depth squats or as I like to call them communist squats. I would have been doing low bar powerlifting style aka freedom squats previously.

So you're squatting properly now? Good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Cool log.Im gonna keep an eye on this.Are you dropping down into a full squat on all of the cleans or only as the weight gets heavier?

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    Cool log.Im gonna keep an eye on this.Are you dropping down into a full squat on all of the cleans or only as the weight gets heavier?

Cheers! Yeah I'm doing a full squat on all the cleans to get the leg strength up. I've been told you should be able to clean 20% more than your powerclean. At the moment I have that arse backwards and I am way behind on the clean.

supposedly wrote: »
    So you're squatting properly now? Good to hear!

Quiet you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Wednesday 9th March
    communist squats
    I own the trademark on that ****. Cite your sources, you IP thief!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good to see ya logging dude.
    Dead Ed wrote: »

He robbed Informed Performance?

Hanley wrote: »
    He robbed Informed Performance?

He probably did that too, but I was talking about intellectual property!

• Advertisement

Dead Ed wrote: »

I nicked it when you let your guard down for that split second,
    and I'd do it again.

Friday 11th March

Bench

Clean
    3@47kg,3@52kg,3@57kg,2x2@62kg,2x2@67kg

Sled Pulls
    Few trips at various weights

I'll have to check the bench weights next week if it's a mistake or something or if there is reason it's so light since 1RM is 90kg. Sled pulls were fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm making the same change as you did, crossfit to olympic lifting. Best of luck with it

Molly wrote: »
    I'm making the same change as you did, crossfit to olympic lifting. Best of luck with it

Cheers, you too. Lifting **** ftw!

Monday 14th March

Snatch

Clean&Jerk

Front Squat
    3x5@60kg
    3x4@70kg (belt)

Core
    ^

Snatches felt a bit off and cleans felt heavy. No doubt from drinking both Friday and Saturday night. I had Norcal Margaritas* for the first time on Saturday night. The idea being you have 2 maybe 3 of these and you mostly get away from the negative affects of drinking. I of course drank close to 10 which I don't think was the quantity Robb Wolf was suggesting. They are damn tasty though and hit the spot.

*http://nick.zadrozny.com/post/318559399/the-norcal-margarita

No doubt from drinking both Friday and Saturday night. I had Norcal Margaritas* for the first time on Saturday night. The idea being you have 2 maybe 3 of these and you mostly get away from the negative affects of drinking. I of course drank close to 10 which I don't think was the quantity Robb Wolf was suggesting. They are damn tasty though and hit the spot.

*http://nick.zadrozny.com/post/318559399/the-norcal-margarita

Damnit man, if you're gonna get drunk do it properly!

Curacao isn't Paleo?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Curacao isn't Paleo?

Curacao?

Curacao?

The stuff Robb Wolf replaces with water in the Margherita.
    Bitter orange liquor.

****ed If I know I don't really care all that much but his version gets you drunk, tastes nice and doesn't give you a raging hangover.

• Advertisement

You said raging.:pac:

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You said raging.:pac:

:(

Wednesday 9th March

Snatch

Clean

Squat
    2x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    1x4@90kg
    2x3@95kg

Core

Felt a lot better today compared to Monday. Snatches till not as good as they were last week though but I'm starting to come up out of the squat a lot easier than I have been previously. Likewise on the cleans. 95kg squats still feel damn heavy but Wayne says they are looking better than they have been. So it's all good in the hood.

Off to Hamburg for a few days so next training day will probably be Tuesday.

Tuesday 22nd March

Snatch

Clean&Jerk

Front Squat
    3x5@60kg
    3x4@70kg (belt)

Core
    ^

Snatches were good despite all ze booze did miss a snatch though. First one in training in like 6 weeks grgr! Started to be a grind once I hit the Clean and Jerks and started sweating out debauchery. Not too bad though legs are slowly getting stronger.

Thursday 24th March

Snatch

Clean

Squat
    2x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    1x4@90kg
    2x3@95kg

Core
    ^

Good buzz down the gym tonight. Glenn Pendlay and Jon North who were at ECB last night for a weightlifting Seminar were down again tonight for a training session. Here's a vid Transform put up of him snatching 155kg at the seminar last night. Transform has a few other vids up there too from the night.

My stuff went pretty well. Squats the easiest they've been yet. Gonna do a bit at home tomorrow then a new program starts next week. Nothing too exciting just varying volume/intensity week to week in lead up to Nationals.

Friday 25th March

At home

Press 5-5-5-5-4
    48.5-51-53.5-56-58.5

Chins 5x8

5 x 130m Sprints
    4 minutes rest

The Press and Chins were supersetted with 90s rest. I haven't pressed in months so that's the reason for the ramp up. Any strength loss is fairly negligible I was at 58.5kg 3x5 before Christmas. I seem to maintain upperbody strength pretty well with infrequent attention but my lower body strength on the other hand takes a nose dive if I go a few weeks without giving it heavy attention.

Sprints were the first significant piece of conditioning I've done since dropping CF 4 weeks ago. I was v.fast on the first two, pretty good on the 3rd. They started to take a dive then with the last one being particulary **** once I hit the half way mark. Felt a bit woozy for 10 minutes afterwards.

Monday 28th March

Yay new program today for run up to Nationals. Six week program, weeks 1,3,5 are higher intensity. Weeks 2,4 are higher volume and Week 6 is taper week. The intensity and volume changes during the week also as I'm snatching x 2 and clean&jerk x 3 per week.

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg
    3x3@54kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2@67kg
    2@70kg
    1@75kg
    1@80kg

Front Squat
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2x2@80kg (belt from here)
    2x1@87kg

Core
    3-way Plank: 30s each side
    Oblique Crunches: 2x20
    Swiss Ball Pray: 3x15

So weeks 1,3,5 pretty much look like this:

Mon: Light Snatch, Heavy Clean&Jerk, Heavy Front Squat
    Wed:Heavy Snatch, Light Clean&Jerk, Heavy Back Squat
    Fri: Bench, Clean+Squat(s)+Jerk, Sled Pulls

In other news Glenn Pendlay told Barry I have good technique *gets big head* but I need to put on weight and get stronger. I think I might be on two hands now to count the number of coaches that have said something along those lines. Who knows someday I might actually do it! :pac:

Wednesday 30th March

Snatch
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg
    1x3@52kg
    1x2@58kg
    1x2@65kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Back Squat
    1x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    1x5@80kg (belt from here)
    1x5@90kg failed 5th rep, clipped rack on way down, the only reason I swear!
    2x2@100kg

Core
    3-way Plank: 30s each side
    Oblique Crunches: 2x20
    Swiss Ball Pray: 3x15

Legs were still heavy from Monday still adjusting to new program. Snatches were okay though got to work up to a double at 65kg which was fun first time going heavy'ish for a good few weeks.

I found the Clean&jerks tough and the squats too. Failed the 5th rep on 90kg but it was from clipping the rack which drove me forward but I was stupid to clip the rack in first place. I found the 100kg reps heavy too I was straining on them. I reckon I'll be grand on them though by week 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Hmmm... Squatoff? ;)

• Advertisement

supposedly wrote: »
    Hmmm... Squatoff? ;)

Only in x number of months when I know I'll win :P

Advertisement