Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat Stevens at the O2 in November..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 siscri

But what constitutes a Greatest Hits tour? He played everything I wanted except Wild World and maybe Another Saturday Night.
    What did you want that he didn't play?

Can someone get me a setlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

:rolleyes:
    Keating sang Father and son - Who sang Moonshadow?

If you are askiing who sang in the musical part as far as I heard the Noel guy from Hear'say was in it somewhere along the line.

As for all the booing....a bit like an X Factor show...its just the way things have gone in the music world these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

siscri wrote: »
    But what constitutes a Greatest Hits tour? He played everything I wanted except Wild World and maybe Another Saturday Night.

He played what I wanted to hear anyways for the most part....I think I see the light was magic and the one song I really really wanted to hear.

Would have loved to have seen Wild World and morning has broken though also.

No setlist up on setlistfm.com as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Can someone get me a setlist?

The set list was as follows:
    Lilywhite
    The Wind
    Thinking ‘Bout You
    Where Do The Children Play
    Boots & Sand
    Fill My Eyes
    Roadsinger
    Midday (Avoid City After Dark)
    Sitting
    I Think I See The Light

[Interval]
    “Moonshadow” the Musical – Exclusive Preview
    Introduced by Yusuf – When a Door Closes, World of Darkness

Miles from Nowhere
    Don’t Be Shy
    Glass World
    Bad Brakes
    Moonshadow
    Peace Train
    All Kinds of Roses
    Lilywhite (2009)
    Tuesday’s Dead
    Father and Son (with Ronan Keating)
    http://www.yusufislam.com/news/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

balla wrote: »
    Can you not get the point that the promoters were misleading the public? Blatantly mentioning "greatest hits" as if it was a greatest hits show.

And no, nothing justified booing him. I'm appalled at hearing about people's behaviour. I just think that promoters should be held accountable and people who felt they were misled deserve a refund.

i dont mean to be rude but werent even at the concert, so how can you comment?

i was there and i enjoyed it. i didnt go to see Cat Stevens, i went to see Yusuf Islam. I really wanted to hear Wild World, he didnt do it but so what, i have been to loads of concerts where they havent played the songs i wanted to hear. Example, i went to see John Squire and all i wanted to hear were stone roses songs but they are two different entities the same as Cat Stevens and Yusuf Islam.

And you would have to be living under a rock if you didnt know he was showcasing his musical.

it was a good concerted but was ruined by 30% of people. my heart when out to him on stage.

I agree, the musical went on a little bit longer then it should have but i enjoyed. You still got your full concert and bit extra.

• Advertisement

That is an impressive setlist and in my opinion worthy of being called a Greatest Hits tour. And I got to see a sh!t musical for free. I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There is also the argument to be made that what some people regard as well-known songs, i.e. "Greatest Hits" of sorts, will not necessarily be recognised by everyone. It works both ways: the seminal "Cat Stevens Greatest Hits" album from 1975 (the one with the flag on the cover) doesn't include The Wind, Where Do the Children Play or Tuesday's Dead, which I would regard as being quite well known, even to fair-weather Cat Stevens fans, and would certainly be played on the radio.
    Anyone familiar with the studio albums from the seventies would have been more than happy to hear Lilywhite, I Think I See the Light, Fill My Eyes, etc.
    However, those with only a passing interest who went expecting to hear most of the songs from that Greatest Hits album would have only got four songs from it (Sitting, Moonshadow, Peace Train, Father and Son), so may well have felt very short-changed.
    Nevertheless, none of this excuses the behaviour of some people in the auditorium.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irishbird wrote: »
    Example, i went to see John Squire and all i wanted to hear were stone roses songs but they are two different entities the same as Cat Stevens and Yusuf Islam.
    Not really comparing like for like though. One was in a band that split up, the other is a solo artist that just changed his name.
    Plus, you were being very optimistic expected to see Squire playing Stone Roses songs. You'd need to go to an Ian Brown gig for that. ;)

From the times:
    (Thats the UK Times)
    It’s hard to imagine a singer less likely to cause a rift in a crowd than the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens. Yet on the debut date of his first tour in 33 years, Yusuf Islam saw fans storm out and heard two of his best-known songs spoiled by booing. Those he didn’t disappoint showed their support with a standing ovation. “Now I know what Dylan felt like,” laughed a disappointed Islam in an attempt to diffuse the tension. An artist as famous for his spirituality as his songs had tested his fans and found some of them wanting.

90 minutes earlier, Islam had sauntered on stage strumming a guitar and delivered an hour of pretty folk-pop that could hardly have been less controversial. Sounding like a serene preacher and looking like a gentle geography teacher, the grey-haired, grey-bearded singer started solo with "Lilywhite" in front a giant backdrop of an urban alleyway, surrounded by packing crates and a Victorian-style street lamp.

Joined first by his 1970s sidekick Alun Davies on guitar, then gradually a full band, Islam was initially revered by the entire audience. They applauded songs from his current album, "Roadsinger", as loudly as they did tracks from seminal albums "Tea For The Tillerman" and "Teaser And The Firecat". They tutted at his tale of the authorities who, five years ago, refused him entry in to the States and even clapped along to the song the incident inspired,"Boots And Sand", despite its clearly poor quality.

The bad vibes began when Islam paused his performance for a 40 minute preview of his forthcoming musical, "Moonshadow". A cast led by former Hear’say singer Noel Sullivan trouped on to act, dance and deliver a mix of new material and the Cat Stevens classics "Father & Son" and "Wild World". By the latter, streams of people were walking out, dismayed at Islam for handing over his hits.

In truth, the musical segment lasted far too long and was confusingly introduced. In London’s West End, where it is due to open next year, "Moonshadow" could go down a storm. In front of an audience who had come to hear Islam trawl his back catalogue, it was never going to work.
    The bulk of the audience, however, remained for a final segment of the show that began on shaky ground – they groaned as Islam introduced more new songs and pulled a plucky Sullivan back on to duet – but ended on a high with a lengthy, rocky rendition of "Peace Train".

As fans began to file out, Islam had to halt them with the promise of a second encore. During a spine-tingling "Father and Son", he was joined by an unshaven Ronan Keating and the crowd roared with delight. Home-time then was happy, though this gig was a bumpy ride.
    Tour continues at the NIA, Birmingham (Nov 23), Echo Arena, Liverpool (Dec 5), Royal Albert Hall, London (Dec 8).
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6918682.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 43 B1G Al

That is an impressive setlist and in my opinion worthy of being called a Greatest Hits tour. And I got to see a sh!t musical for free. I'm happy.

+1

• Advertisement

From the times:
    (Thats the UK Times)
    It’s hard to imagine a singer less likely to cause a rift in a crowd than the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens. Yet on the debut date of his first tour in 33 years, Yusuf Islam saw fans storm out and heard two of his best-known songs spoiled by booing. Those he didn’t disappoint showed their support with a standing ovation. “Now I know what Dylan felt like,” laughed a disappointed Islam in an attempt to diffuse the tension. An artist as famous for his spirituality as his songs had tested his fans and found some of them wanting.

90 minutes earlier, Islam had sauntered on stage strumming a guitar and delivered an hour of pretty folk-pop that could hardly have been less controversial. Sounding like a serene preacher and looking like a gentle geography teacher, the grey-haired, grey-bearded singer started solo with "Lilywhite" in front a giant backdrop of an urban alleyway, surrounded by packing crates and a Victorian-style street lamp.

Joined first by his 1970s sidekick Alun Davies on guitar, then gradually a full band, Islam was initially revered by the entire audience. They applauded songs from his current album, "Roadsinger", as loudly as they did tracks from seminal albums "Tea For The Tillerman" and "Teaser And The Firecat". They tutted at his tale of the authorities who, five years ago, refused him entry in to the States and even clapped along to the song the incident inspired,"Boots And Sand", despite its clearly poor quality.

The bad vibes began when Islam paused his performance for a 40 minute preview of his forthcoming musical, "Moonshadow". A cast led by former Hear’say singer Noel Sullivan trouped on to act, dance and deliver a mix of new material and the Cat Stevens classics "Father & Son" and "Wild World". By the latter, streams of people were walking out, dismayed at Islam for handing over his hits.

In truth, the musical segment lasted far too long and was confusingly introduced. In London’s West End, where it is due to open next year, "Moonshadow" could go down a storm. In front of an audience who had come to hear Islam trawl his back catalogue, it was never going to work.
    The bulk of the audience, however, remained for a final segment of the show that began on shaky ground – they groaned as Islam introduced more new songs and pulled a plucky Sullivan back on to duet – but ended on a high with a lengthy, rocky rendition of "Peace Train".

As fans began to file out, Islam had to halt them with the promise of a second encore. During a spine-tingling "Father and Son", he was joined by an unshaven Ronan Keating and the crowd roared with delight. Home-time then was happy, though this gig was a bumpy ride.
    Tour continues at the NIA, Birmingham (Nov 23), Echo Arena, Liverpool (Dec 5), Royal Albert Hall, London (Dec 8).
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6918682.ece

adequately sums the night up IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brian Chris

balla wrote: »
    I quote
    "Back in concert after 33 years.
    Singing all of Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits"

Shame on you concert promoters. Blatant lies and misleading advertising because the concert was not selling out as fast as you thought it would so you decided to lie to sell the rest of the tickets.
    This is the ONLY ad I saw and was what made me want to go to the concert!!! (which I didn't in the end as we couldn't pay over 150 euro for 2 tickets) but I am so glad I didn't.

This criticism is totally against the promoters not Yusef.....

:confused: You weren't even at the gig? Why are you adding to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brian Chris

B1G Al wrote: »
    +1

+3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

First off, he didn't play a lot of his classics. Whether or not you were happy with last night's playlist doesn't change that. However, thats pretty standard fare nowadays. Most artists will stuff the first half of the show with new material then blast out the hits for the second half to send everyone home happy.

The main gripe i have is that a lot of his classics were sang by the cast from the musical. If I wanted to hear other people singing Cat Steven's i would have loaded up youtube.

Also, if anyone thinks that he had planned to sing Father and Son with RK, then you are more naive than Yusuf. He was obv dragged on at the end to 'save' the show. Ironically enough Yusuf would have been better off singing it on his own, lol.

careca wrote: »
    The main gripe i have is that a lot of his classics were sang by the cast from the musical. If I wanted to hear other people singing Cat Steven's i would have loaded up youtube.

That was the only sore point of last night, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beereilly

This is my first post to boards.ie but I felt it necessary to throw in my experience of last night as I was one of the lucky/unlucky audience. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Cat Stevens or a Yusuf Islam fan however I enjoy all of his music and I am willing to go to any concert which promises to be good and a bit different. My boyfriend bought the tickets as a present and also told me about the musical preview which I was really looking forward. He read about this before buying the tickets which were expensive at 76.40 plus all the first born we paid ticketmaster for the priviledge of buying from them.

anyway the concert opened and wound it way to the interval with a solid and pleasant performance with some quirky stories and a bit of irratating heckling...(in my opinion heckling is for eijits, an artist shouldn't have to change their set list for a complete moron..). So after our interval it started with Yusuf on stage and he had promised a surprise so I wasnt all that surprised when the musical section started. It ambled along until Matthew and Son which was brilliant and vibrant and I thought would have engaged everyone but just after it finished some people around me start shouting and booing ..not everyone just a few loud idiots. One shouted ' I didn't pay to see the panto...booo...booo...etc'. I resisted the temptation to shout back 'oh yes you did' but instead just encouraged him leave. as for those who stuck it out and then continued to be fools and call on 'cat' to play peace train or whatever. Whatever about doing that but booing a new song is completely uncalled for and just downright rude. If you come to see someone surely you should be delighted to hear a new song for the first time ever anywhere....anyway thats all I have to say the show lasted over 2 and a half hours with the last 1 and half being the best show i've been at all year.

I suggest the people who left examine what it was they did after apart from get worked up and maybe reconsider the option had they just stayed put and given the musical a chancea and enjoyed the rest of the show.

beereilly wrote: »
    I suggest the people who left examine what it was they did after apart from get worked up and maybe reconsider the option had they just stayed put and given the musical a chancea and enjoyed the rest of the show.

I could be wrong but I would imagine a lot of them left so that they could complain outside and hopefully get a refund. You're right though, idiotic thing to do after paying so much in the first place.

Funny you mention the panto bit, cos when he emerged from the 'door' at half time and started kinda creeping across the semi dark stage, I was tempted to shout "he's behind you". Thankfully I resisted the urge :)

Anyway, I'm all talked out on the subject. at worst it was an experience.

Off to listen to Sad Lisa on youtube !!!

First off, he didn't play a lot of his classics. Whether or not you were happy with last night's playlist doesn't change that. However, thats pretty standard fare nowadays. Most artists will stuff the first half of the show with new material then blast out the hits for the second half to send everyone home happy.

Also, if anyone thinks that he had planned to sing Father and Son with RK, then you are more naive than Yusuf. He was obv dragged on at the end to 'save' the show. Ironically enough Yusuf would have been better off singing it on his own, lol.

1) What were the 'a lot of' classics he didn't play?

2) What were the 'a lot of' classics that were sung by the cast?

3) Obviously Ronan was planned all along. He even made mention of having a surprise person at the beginning.

If he had of played the exact same setlist minus the musical everyone would be happy. So why are you unhappy that you also got the musical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 broadrock

I was at the gig last night as well. The musical stuff was not really my cup of tea either but I managed to resist the temptation to make a holy show of myself, my city and my country by shouting abuse/walking out. All in all though he gave us a 2 3/4 hour show! You can't really say fairer than that.
    A friend of mine was working on the production last night and said Yusuf was shaken and that they would be tweaking the show (i.e. reducing the musical part) as a result. I think maybe he needed to let people know before the musical started how long it was going to last and that he would be coming back on afterwards to sing some of the old songs.

I think perhaps discussion on this show has been beaten to death now at this stage. Not much more that can be said.

• Advertisement

1) What were the 'a lot of' classics he didn't play?

2) What were the 'a lot of' classics that were sung by the cast?

3) Obviously Ronan was planned all along. He even made mention of having a surprise person at the beginning.

If he had of played the exact same setlist minus the musical everyone would be happy. So why are you unhappy that you also got the musical?

Ok, last comment on the subject.

1) Sad Lisa, Hard Headed Woman, Oh Very Young, Morning has Broken, Another Sat Night, prob more but thats top of my head

2) Wild World, Matthew and Son, Father and Son

3) No he didn't say a surprise person. He said a surprise after the break. If its not obvious to you that the 'surprise' was the musical then fair enough. If it was possible to get confirmation then I would have a large bet that Ronan Keating was there as an ordinary punter and was 'dragged' on stage. Again, not much point discussing this as its my opinion only.

He sand Father And Son at the end so I assume you're happy with that?

He introduced his guitarist and asked if we remembered him. And then he mentioned something about another surprise person later and then interrupted himself.

As has been said before he couldn't possibly play all his songs. He played 20 songs himself so I don't see how anyone can be dissatisfied.

Yeh I think end of thread. 20 great songs (some old, some new) is a worthwhile concert in my book. Let's just forget about the musical debacle and appreciate the man for the show he put on.

Yeh I think end of thread. 20 great songs (some old, some new) is a worthwhile concert in my book. Let's just forget about the musical debacle and appreciate the man for the show he put on.

+1

Ok, last comment on the subject.

1) Sad Lisa, Hard Headed Woman, Oh Very Young, Morning has Broken, Another Sat Night, prob more but thats top of my head

2) Wild World, Matthew and Son, Father and Son

3) No he didn't say a surprise person. He said a surprise after the break. If its not obvious to you that the 'surprise' was the musical then fair enough. If it was possible to get confirmation then I would have a large bet that Ronan Keating was there as an ordinary punter and was 'dragged' on stage. Again, not much point discussing this as its my opinion only.

For the record..

As it stands, unless something changes.. you will *never* hear Yusuf Islam sing Morning has Broken, it's a Christian hymn or Another Saturday Night, it's immoral ("find me a honey to help me spend my money") nor for that matter will you ever hear Lady Darbonville.

It's Yusuf that played last night, not Cat Stevens, and while he played an amazing snapshot of an incredible back catalouge, there are certain songs that simply will never be played by him again.

For the record, Oasis never play wonderwall anymore.

Oasis never play wonderwall anymore.

em, not being smart and with respect:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/v-festival-stafford-england-2bd79c7e.html

last played August 22 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charles Onions

Unless you are one of the morons who left early, you saw a full gig, and you saw a chunk of a musical.

I left early. I didnt boo or heckle, I just left because I thought the musical was absolutely rubbish - it was like watching some post modern version of Hi-5. Can you explain to me why Im a moron? Might be best to only use small words though just in case you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Khloe Gifted Boot

I left early. I didnt boo or heckle, I just left because I thought the musical was absolutely rubbish - it was like watching some post modern version of Hi-5. Can you explain to me why Im a moron? Might be best to only use small words though just in case you're right.

He's been chucking insults about willy-nilly, best off just reporting him and not rising to it tbh.

Btw, I left early too. Despite paying €200 for my tickets it just wasn't worth staying.

Even this evening and thinking back, I'm pretty shocked at the aggression and almost down right hatred from some of the audience last night.

Last thing I thought I'd see at a Yusef Islam concert was garda re-enforcements being called in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charles Onions

He's been chucking insults about willy-nilly, best off just reporting him and not rising to it tbh.

Ta' but he's quite entitled to call me whatever he feels like but it's always polite to offer an explanation

ok

It.. was.. not.. over

You missed the best parts, but I'm glad.

Those heckling freaks didn't deserve to hear Moonshadow played so magnificantly, as an amazing duet, or to hear the rest of the crackers that the ex Cat played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Btw, I left early too. Despite paying €200 for my tickets it just wasn't worth staying.

Even this evening and thinking back, I'm pretty shocked at the aggression and almost down right hatred from some of the audience last night.

Last thing I thought I'd see at a Yusef Islam concert was garda re-enforcements being called in.

you have to admit there's a surreal humour about the whole thing

Advertisement