Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greyhound Trainer Galway Limerick

Options
  • 02-07-2015 1:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a good greyhound trainer in Galway or even limerick that is easy to deal with etc thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Pat conway in clarina,races in both Galway and Limerick,wont get better- mod edit: <snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Pat conway in clarina,races in both Galway and Limerick,wont get better-mod edit: <snip>

Thanks do you have a contact number for him ..When you say wont get better do you mean honest and has ability as a good trainer ..Do you know what he charges per day

Honest as the day is long,if your dog not up to it he will tell you,wins per runs are up there,not sure of how much but last time he done a dog for me he was reasonable,no. on first response.

Honest as the day is long,if your dog not up to it he will tell you,wins per runs are up there,not sure of how much but last time he done a dog for me he was reasonable,no. on first response.

sorry didnt see that il give him a shout ..was it a long time ago that you had a dog with him or what that you dont remember how much he charged

Had a dog with him around 4 years ago,not sure exactly how much but it was reasonable.

• Advertisement

Had a dog with him around 4 years ago,not sure exactly how much but it was reasonable.

sound any advice in general about the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

audi12 wrote: »
    sound any advice in general about the game

www.igb.ie

Dont expect miracles,having a dog running is great fun and good socially,and if you get a win or 2 its a bonus and if you train him yourself its the best feeling in the world.

had a look at that alright

Dont expect miracles,having a dog running is great fun and good socially,and if you get a win or 2 its a bonus and if you train him yourself its the best feeling in the world.

def wont be training him myself ha

• Advertisement

how much would it cost to be a reasonable dog event to compete at a low level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

how much would it cost to be a reasonable dog event to compete at a low level

Could cost literally any amount. Have a look at the auction results on igb.ie. The best way to acquire a good dog is via the trainer. Most trainers have good contacts and a lot of them breed as well. An unraced dog with a good pedigree will cost a minimum €3k.

Thats my 2 cents, but there are posters here that know a lot more than me.

Could cost literally any amount. Have a look at the auction results on igb.ie. The best way to acquire a good dog is via the trainer. Most trainers have good contacts and a lot of them breed as well. An unraced dog with a good pedigree will cost a minimum €3k.

Thats my 2 cents, but there are posters here that know a lot more than me.

they could rob you two thats the danger

Pat conway in clarina,races in both Galway and Limerick,wont get better- mod edit: <snip>

why were the contact details removed reatard boards ever stay out of anything ffs

If you're having to ask all these questions, you're obviously a novice and in for an eye opener!
    To run a dog in a graded race, entry fee €10. Add on €10 per owner/friend attending. Then you have drinks, food and bets. That is just on racenight.
    Trainers are roughly €10 a day. Plus, gallops, trials, racenight expenses, travelling to all these. Then Vet bills, and any medications necessary. When you hand your dog over to the trainer, very little will be done for the first 2 weeks while it settles. If it is a puppy with no schooling done, this will take at the least 3 months before dog is qualified - IF it qualifies. Then you wait up to 6 weeks for a race. This is a minimum of 5 months @ €10 a day plus expenses, roughly €2,000 before you get your dog to the track. IF you win a race a month, you might win €150 to €200. Stakes pay more. (An average dog will win one race in four roughly)
    Gambling on a dog is not often possible as bookies tend to be wary and keen to hang on to their money!
    If you are really interested, go to Galway dogs for a few nights, not just Saturdays and take note of the trainers who not only have winners, but who are approachable and that you feel you could get on with.
    If you put a dog with a trainer, they make the decisions as to where it will run and when.

BTW, Boards don't allow contact details in posts.

If you're having to ask all these questions, you're obviously a novice and in for an eye opener!
    To run a dog in a graded race, entry fee €10. Add on €10 per owner/friend attending. Then you have drinks, food and bets. That is just on racenight.
    Trainers are roughly €10 a day. Plus, gallops, trials, racenight expenses, travelling to all these. Then Vet bills, and any medications necessary. When you hand your dog over to the trainer, very little will be done for the first 2 weeks while it settles. If it is a puppy with no schooling done, this will take at the least 3 months before dog is qualified - IF it qualifies. Then you wait up to 6 weeks for a race. This is a minimum of 5 months @ €10 a day plus expenses, roughly €2,000 before you get your dog to the track. IF you win a race a month, you might win €150 to €200. Stakes pay more. (An average dog will win one race in four roughly)
    Gambling on a dog is not often possible as bookies tend to be wary and keen to hang on to their money!
    If you are really interested, go to Galway dogs for a few nights, not just Saturdays and take note of the trainers who not only have winners, but who are approachable and that you feel you could get on with.
    If you put a dog with a trainer, they make the decisions as to where it will run and when.

BTW, Boards don't allow contact details in posts.

what questions I asked for a reliable trainer I am punter like the next man I know all off the above wont be going with a puppy even though it will cost more for a dog that has raced

what questions I asked for a reliable trainer I am punter like the next man I know all off the above wont be going with a puppy even though it will cost more for a dog that has raced

You also asked "how much would it cost to be a reasonable dog event to compete at a low level"

Sorry I bothered. Good Luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Go to galway have a look at whats happening . have a few chats see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

neilus o connell limerick.had a dog with him.won 10 races.always told me straight when the dog was right.70 quid max pw and that included him driving up to shelbourne harolds x etc....dog reached Irish sprint cup final with him.cost 2k to buy.great fun .

padohaodha wrote: »
    neilus o connell limerick.had a dog with him.won 10 races.always told me straight when the dog was right.70 quid max pw and that included him driving up to shelbourne harolds x etc....dog reached Irish sprint cup final with him.cost 2k to buy.great fun .

Is he still taking dogs do you know

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    Go to galway have a look at whats happening . have a few chats see what you think
    Going tonight

definitely...sound out.best of luck...u wont meet sounder
    Is he still taking dogs do you know

definitely...sound out.best of luck...u wont meet sounder

Thanks I will keep him in mind ..IGB would probably have his contact details even though getting an answer from them about anything is though

he's a public trainer so all his details should be on the website.i should have his mobile no.if you want it
    Thanks I will keep him in mind ..IGB would probably have his contact details even though getting an answer from them about anything is though

he's a public trainer so all his details should be on the website.i should have his mobile no.if you want it

can you private message it to me boards will take it down if you put it up here

I thought IGB used have a list of all trainers somewhere on their Website? Would be very handy.

Or put it up here and I will take it down thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

neilus o connell

We come up against him often enough in Tralee and rarely get the better of him. Don't know him but he certainly knows what he's doing.

You'll get an idea of what kinda dog you'll get for your money on the classifieds on Greyhound-Data.com. You'll see a bit of everything; race dogs, saplings, pups etc. But you're probably better off knowing someone who knows someone that will point you in the right direction. I'm sure any half decent trainer will assist with that anyways.

tvercetti wrote: »
    We come up against him often enough in Tralee and rarely get the better of him. Don't know him but he certainly knows what he's doing.

You'll get an idea of what kinda dog you'll get for your money on the classifieds on Greyhound-Data.com. You'll see a bit of everything; race dogs, saplings, pups etc. But you're probably better off knowing someone who knows someone that will point you in the right direction. I'm sure any half decent trainer will assist with that anyways.

poor crowd in galway last night

• Advertisement

anyone know anything about seamus fahy and gerry holian trainers from galway..

Advertisement