Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC Dublin October 24th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudzilla wrote: »
    not at The Point it wouldn't

I meant starting at 1 day, then increasing to 2, then 3........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    I assume there was some sort of planning condition regarding hours.
    Does Funderland not close at a similar 10/11pm as the Avica/Croker planning limit.

Yep all shuts down bout 11 but it non residential area so maybe easier get exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

dave1982 wrote: »
    Yep all shuts down bout 11 but it non residential area so maybe easier get exemption.

Presume ye are talking about Parc UI Chaoimh? That's currently being demolished and it's also a residential area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Casshern88 wrote: »
    If your a member of fight club how many pre sale tickets can you buy at one time ?

Ticketmaster allow a maximum of 4 tickets to be purchased at a time.
    Fight pass allows you purchase a total of 6 tickets, not overriding the ticketmaster limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hopefully it will be a decent card; especially after last year the number of high profile fighters who said they wanted to fight here was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

I read somewhere that the UFC were looking at Lobov vs Bilharinho for this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Apparently Norman Parke has confirmed that he'll be on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Apparently Norman Parke has confirmed that he'll be on the card.

If so i hope he'll be quite low down as he's 1-2-1 in his last 4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,017 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    If so i hope he'll be quite low down as he's 1-2-1 in his last 4
    To be fair, be was screwed a bit in a few of those. He should have been 3-1, only the Tibau loss was a legit loss imo.

Ultimately I try to rate him on his ability, not his luck with the judges/refs

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

maximoose wrote: »
    The Sun is complete trash, no disputing that - but 3 months of fightpass and access to the presale for ~€15 is tempting.

Where do you get this? I was on fight Club website today and cheapest Presale option is for €75..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

JR6 wrote: »
    Where do you get this? I was on fight Club website today and cheapest Presale option is for €75..

Its through the Sun+ service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wish I'd heeded the warnings about Sun+...

Having a nightmare trying to get the Fightpass Access which was offered as part of the sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

maximoose wrote: »
    Wish I'd heeded the warnings about Sun+...

Having a nightmare trying to get the Fightpass Access which was offered as part of the sign up.

I asked about that on their live chat. They said they would send those details on in September. Although I'm near certain he was confusing that with the presale code. Emailed UFC too, as it wasn't metioned on the sun website just in their email.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I was told by Live chat on Monday I'd have access details within 48 hours, nothing came so went back onto live chat yesterday and was told I'd have it within another 24 hours.

Surprise surpise nothing came, back onto livechat today and I'm told that fightpass is not included. I've just sent an email to their complaints lads with screenies of the sign up offer, and the welcome email which both show it as included - will see what they say.

Not sure if I read it here or not, but someone said they think Cathal Pendred could headline this event? Surely not!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If Conor wins (which I think he will.) He will probably be too much of a international draw to have on a card in the Three Arena.

The time difference will more than likely ruin PPV buys, which are a major source of income for the UFC. They will more than likely keep him for bigger cards in the US.

I think we will see all the other Irish fighters on the roster, I am not sure who headlines. But if Cathal wins this weekend he will be 5-0 in the UFC no other Irish man will have that record bar Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Not sure if I read it here or not, but someone said they think Cathal Pendred could headline this event? Surely not!?

Well, you'd hope it would be against a ranked opponent, a good one.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Well, you'd hope it would be against a ranked opponent, a good one.

Tbh I'd hope he doesn't headline at all, even if he wins this weekend. Cathal isn't a headliner.

Are there any other names in the mix to headline besides Conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Could be Paddy Holohan, after Glasgow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Tbh I'd hope he doesn't headline at all, even if he wins this weekend. Cathal isn't a headliner.

Are there any other names in the mix to headline besides Conor?
    There's been so many sub par fighters headline I wouldn't be hugely surprised. Just two examples

Maia vs. LaFlare

Bader vs. Saint Preux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Pendred does headline a card ever, it won't be in Ireland as he'll be cannon fodder for a good prospect they're trying to build up, which they could do since he has a great record, but lacks the skill of a top fighter.

He'll be on the Irish card barring injury, but against a more evenly matched opponent, maybe Rick Story. That's a good co-main for an Irish card IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Might get announcement after 189 in post fight presser

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

*WARNING*
    189 SPOILERS

Gunni to headline Dublin maybe? Thank God for John Howard, he saved us from the hellish possibility of Pendred headlining.

I know Conor has been vocal about getting on this card but I really don't see how. Obviously he can't face Aldo here but he could take a LW fight if Aldo was still to be out.

But with the unification tentatively suggested for January, there's no way Conor fights in late October.

Nelson vs Maia wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DrPhilG wrote: »
    *WARNING*
    189 SPOILERS

Gunni to headline Dublin maybe? Thank God for John Howard, he saved us from the hellish possibility of Pendred headlining.

I know Conor has been vocal about getting on this card but I really don't see how. Obviously he can't face Aldo here but he could take a LW fight if Aldo was still to be out.

But with the unification tentatively suggested for January, there's no way Conor fights in late October.

Nelson vs Maia wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility though.
    Nelson vs. Maia is a lock for the main event IMO, unless they're being generous and we get the HW title eliminator of Miocic vs. Arlovski, but I doubt it. Can't really see what else they could give us, maybe Duffy vs. Masvidal or Dariush as co-main? I'd be happy with that personally, but I hope we get a big, international main event like the one I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone think that they'll need McGregor's name to make it a stadium gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Dana said if he beats Aldo in Vegas he'll let him defend in Ireland in a stadium. Won't be happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

I can see all the Irish lads on it, it makes zero sense not to?? Would love a Gunnar headline against Maia!! Does anyone think that there'll be a call up for any of the fighters competing on the bamma card or is ur to close together??

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

johnpro wrote: »
    I can see all the Irish lads on it, it makes zero sense not to?? Would love a Gunnar headline against Maia

Gunni isnt Irish.I dont we should be claiming other nationalities as Irish when if other nations claim an Irish athlete we are al up in arms like the BBC the other day claiming Mcgregor there was uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

davmol wrote: »
    Gunni isnt Irish.I dont we should be claiming other nationalities as Irish when if other nations claim an Irish athlete we are al up in arms like the BBC the other day claiming Mcgregor there was uproar.

There's a difference here in that McGregor has no real connection with being British. He doesn't train there, he wasn't born there, he's not associated with any team there..........

Gunni considers himself adopted Irish. He's affiliated with a team here. His team mates are all Irish.

There's also the manor in which we're claiming him. We're not claiming him for glory. We're claiming him because he's "one of us" the same way you might consider Ray Houghton or Jack Charlton "one of us".

We'd claim Gunni if he had a 2-40 record. I'm not sure the BBC would be rushing to claim Conor if his record was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd say Gunner will be on the card alright but not headlining.

McGregor at best will make an appearance but will in no way be on the card. He obviously has an issue with his knee that he needs either instense phsyio or surgery on so we won't be seeing him again until the Aldo fight which will most likely be in January.

Pendred may be on the card but nowhere near a headline slot, I don't know what to think of him tbh. I don't hate him , he seems like a decent lad but he doesn't seem to be natural in the cage , doesn't seem to possess much knockout power/ability and is a bit of a damp squib.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement