Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

So many players walking away really says a lot about the management team and the state of the senior panel. Our options for the backs are Cian O'Donoghue, Gavin Farrell and Mikey Conway maybe move Chalky back, none of that fills me with any confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

paulie21 wrote: »
    So many players walking away really says a lot about the management team and the state of the senior panel. Our options for the backs are Cian O'Donoghue, Gavin Farrell and Mikey Conway maybe move Chalky back, none of that fills me with any confidence

I'd be on the phone to Mick Foley and Morgan O'Flaherty if I was Jason Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Nib wrote: »
    Great timing! This pair should never play for Kildare again. Taking up two places on the panel all year and then decide to head off to America at the first sign of trouble.

There was a time when Kildare people used to laugh at Laois for this carry on.

Very disappointing.

Are you aware of why they left or are you just criticising two non paid amateur footballers for not putting their lives on hold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

Its a grim state of affairs, is this the death knell for Jason Ryan?

If this was the case and I hope it is not, who would you like to see in the Kildare managers spot?

Dr Crippen wrote: »
    Its a grim state of affairs, is this the death knell for Jason Ryan?

If this was the case and I hope it is not, who would you like to see in the Kildare managers spot?
    jack oshea

• Advertisement

interesting, although has he managed at inter county. I know he played locally alright and his own record speaks for itself!

Jacko no longer lives in Kildare. He moved back home about ten years ago. It will have to be a local candidate because there is no money for another outsider. It's probably Bryan Murphy's if he wants it.

Dr Crippen wrote: »
    interesting, although has he managed at inter county. I know he played locally alright and his own record speaks for itself!

Met jack a few times he is a plumber does a lot of work for Dublin city housing an absolute pleasure listening to him talking about the game he is just so passionate.

I think that's why I would like to see him brought in his no nonsense attitude and he has no allegiance to anyone well apart from his obvious leixlip ties..

It's not gonna happen but he would be who I would personally love to see step in

I have a feeling Brendan Hackett could be a runner for it, although Niall Carew? I'm not endorsing either by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Are you aware of why they left or are you just criticising two non paid amateur footballers for not putting their lives on hold?
    Nobody makes these lads play inter-county football, if they're not going to stick around when the going gets tough, they shouldn't bother taking the places of lads on the panel with a bit of loyalty. The life span of an inter-county footballer is short enough without heading off on your jollies to the states in July.

Give it all or nothing.

• Advertisement

Nobody makes these lads play inter-county football, if they're not going to stick around when the going gets tough, they shouldn't bother taking the places of lads on the panel with a bit of loyalty. The life span of an inter-county footballer is short enough without heading off on your jollies to the states in July.

Give it all or nothing.
    yeah give it all and when your 31/32 and broken up and left with **** all for years of hurt then at least you can say you gave it all... Lol

What do you expect from the players and who are you to judge them like that?

yeah give it all and when your 31/32 and broken up and left with **** all for years of hurt then at least you can say you gave it all... Lol

What do you expect from the players and who are you to judge them like that?
    "Lol".. Are you 10 years old?

Again, why bother joining the panel if they're worried about being broken up later in life? Go play with your club and give somebody else a chance on the county panel. It's grand though, let's just lay the blame on Jason Ryan for this too. He's a very easy scapegoat for people in Kildare GAA circles these days.

Kieran McGeeney didn't want to know Darroch Mulhall when he was in charge, Mulhall even tweeted a sarcastic "bye bye" on the night he was ousted. I wonder who's laughing now.

You go back into the Dublin thread and keep telling them how "awesome" they are because you haven't a clue about much else.

It's grand though, let's just lay the blame on Jason Ryan for this too. He's a very easy scapegoat for people in Kildare GAA circles these days.

Very true. The problems run a lot deeper.

You have to have a degree of sympathy for the management and everyone else on the panel if there are lads leaving at the drop of a hat.

If player's have informed management of their intentions far enough in advance then fair enough. I do know one of the Kildare players who left let the management know a few months ago of his plans.

"Lol".. Are you 10 years old?

Again, why bother joining the panel if they're worried about being broken up later in life? Go play with your club and give somebody else a chance on the county panel. It's grand though, let's just lay the blame on Jason Ryan for this too. He's a very easy scapegoat for people in Kildare GAA circles these days.

Kieran McGeeney didn't want to know Darroch Mulhall when he was in charge, Mulhall even tweeted a sarcastic "bye bye" on the night he was ousted. I wonder who's laughing now.

You go back into the Dublin thread and keep telling them how "awesome" they are because you haven't a clue about much else.
    ok

My age has nothing to do with this firstly.
    GAA players at intercounty level are as good as abused with the harm their bodies endure. look at the stats for injuries to pro sportsmen and our "amateur" game. Problems run a hell of a lot deeper than jason ryan thats well known.
    Who mentioned mcgeeney or mulhall?? yes mcgeeney is laughing his arse off thats more than obvious AND HE IS DEAD RIGHT IMO THE MAN WAS TREATED LIKE ****E.
    "You go back into the Dublin thread and keep telling them how "awesome" they are because you haven't a clue about much else." - This post says it all about you tbh bitter nasty insult that i know nothing about football and why because i give praise where praise is due????? My Dad is a Dub Im watching them play years and now they are seeing the fruition of years of hard work yes they deserve every bit of credit they get.

my issue was you having a go at those lads without knowing the facts or if you knew the facts state them before you attack players like that. you didnt have to insult my knowledge of the game or talk about the fact i was congratulating dublin in their thread.. sportsmanship you should look it up

Very true. The problems run a lot deeper.

You have to have a degree of sympathy for the management and everyone else on the panel if there are lads leaving at the drop of a hat.

If player's have informed management of their intentions far enough in advance then fair enough. I do know one of the Kildare players who left let the management know a few months ago of his plans.
    I agree its bad to walk away but before passing judgement here we should know the facts is all i wanted to say. Theres also a chance that people have personal issues and need to walk away didnt mcloughlin walk away due to getting married or having kids?

There's quite a bit of misinformation about. It was widely reported that one player had left to go travelling although he is at home and had an operation last week.

A few of the u21 panel were invited to play with the seniors after they lost in the Leinster Final but they turned it down because they had made plans for the summer. That's fair enough and at least the management know where they stand.

There's quite a bit of misinformation about. It was reported that one player left to go travelling although he is at home and had an operation last week.

A few of the u21 panel were invited to play with the seniors after they lost in the Leinster Final but they turned it down because they had made plans for the summer. That's fair enough and at least the management know where they stand.
    all i was saying was we should know the facts first. that doesnt sound too unreasonable for the players if true so.

What we're seeing now to an extent are the negative consequences of our shambolic finances. The investment in the senior football panel is only a fraction of what it was a few short years ago. We can't really support a large extended panel anymore and any defections are keenly felt. Compare the number of players that went down to Fota Island for the bank holiday weekend to the number that were on a ten day long training camp in Portugal over Easter 2012 and you'll see what I mean.

When it comes to looking for a new manager in a few months time, every candidate will be expected to work within the same budgetary constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

its a bit much to say where the senior team finds themselves now is down to financial restraints. Thats a reason that could be used if they were on the verge of breaking into real all-ireland contention, where a side does need serious resources. But Kildare are a team who are now in div 3, should really have been beaten by Laois the first day and really can be looked on as no better than ranked anywhere between 10-15 in the country at the minute. The manager does deserve criticism, he is clearly not capable of getting the best out of these players and is proven to be weak tactically. Its unreasonable to expect them to break into the top 4 these days, but there's enough good footballers, and a good level of success at u21 and minor over the last number of years to expect better, there's definitely better managers there for the job

Kieran81 wrote: »
    its a bit much to say where the senior team finds themselves now is down to financial restraints.

That's why I included "to an extent."

You can't expect a professional operation without ploughing money into it and it simply isn't there. With all due respect to some members of our management team, they would not be in the positions they are in if we were not working off a shoestring budget.

A lot of these players were part of a Kildare panel who had serious money behind them and wanted for nothing. It's a big adjustment to what the set up is now only a few years later. The same thing happened in 1995 and 1996 and we had players walking away. To a man they were back on board for 1997.

• Advertisement

Kildare supporter ambitions (myself included) are just a little but higher than what this current squad can achieve. In my opinion this is reflected by the amount of players who have moved on and those who will do the same too.

When you see Ronan Quinn running onto the pitch constantly telling players where to go, who to follow it highlights that the management are micro managing players and possibly dont fully believe in their abilities.
    Why would you need to keep distracting and undermining lads on the pitch? This carry on was infuriating to watch in Tullamore a few weeks ago.

Any sign of a team been named?

I've heard that Kelly is in for Fogarty and that Lyons will play.

I hope that Moolick is included from the start. It could be a very nervy afternoon.

This is not going to be a walk in the park by any means. I think we might pull away in the second half, hopefully.

Very strange having no team named.

I'd go:

Donnellan
    Lyons Fitzpatrick O'Grady
    Murnaghan Doyle Bolton
    White Cribbin
    O'Neill O'Flaherty McNally
    Kelly Fogarty Smith

Is it on the box at all chaps, can't make the match, if not I will listen to KFM for it

This is not going to be a walk in the park by any means. I think we might pull away in the second half, hopefully.

Very strange having no team named.

I'd go:

Donnellan
    Lyons Fitzpatrick O'Grady
    Murnaghan Doyle Bolton
    White Cribbin
    O'Neill O'Flaherty NcNally
    Kelly Fogarty Smith

Podge is dropped for a breach of discipline

Heard he had a few pints last weekend, dead right to drop him.

Did I hear that Ollie Lyons broke a finger against Dublin?

2 others on the team were out drinking as well. Podge made the mistake of owning up to it

If they had have won last weekend, fair enough, you wouldn't begrudge them a few pints, but losing and having a game 6 days later, it's not on.

• Advertisement

Emmet Bolton is also playing with an injury that he picked up in the first game against Laois. We're down to the bare bones at this stage. Bring your boots with you lads because we might need a few supporters to tog out!

Advertisement